Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 09:12 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times

Advertisements

I would like more facts but it seems like another grave error, like the woman in Seattle.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Per the earlier post, they are supposedly turned on when there is a police interaction. I suppose they are not needed while having lunch.
That's not the way I interpret these regs. It looks to me like they're supposed to turn them on if they have a traffic stop, suspicious person stop, suspicious vehicle stop, emergency driving is required, contact involving criminal activity, escalation of interactions, etc. I'm no expert, but I don't see anything requiring them to have the body cameras on at the time they spoke to the lady, who presumably was not considered a suspicious person or a suspect in criminal activity, since she was the one who called 9/11.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:16 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Reports claim that she is the one who called the police to check out some kind of noises in the alley. Then she went outside into the alley to talk to police, and something went tragically wrong. Their cams should have been on to attend to the call for suspicious activity in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
Well, to be honest, if they do go to jail for this killing and not for Castille, where everyone saw the evidence and I did not hear anybody defend the police actions, then what is the reason for the difference in the punishments other than race, gender, or class?
Precisely my point. You're already moving towards the racial angle.

That said, there were dozens of pages on this forum alone, of people defending the police in the Castille case. To say no one defended the cops is patently false.

Also, Castille had a gun in his pocket, was a suspect in an armed robbery & none of us saw all the evidence except the jury which included two Black people.

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It would be a perfect world if we could predict who every bad person is with 100% accuracy. Cops come from the general population, one would think that their numbers are representative of our society. Prison guards also.
The reality is that far too many small town cops are chosen based upon family relations to town politicians.
In bigger cities you have issues as well. I can't speak for every state, or town, but where I am from all you need is a 6 week course and you are qualified to be a cop. We also don't pay very well. Not that pay matters, you have crooked cops in the large cities that actually do pay well and have excellent benefits. A dishonest person is dishonest regardless of what clothes they are wearing or how much money they have.

What we need is a federal police agency, pick one, we certainly have enough of them, to investigate every cop related shooting. It really is a conflict of interest to have a police department investigate themselves.
No arguments here. I was responding to a post that suggested cops not use K-9 dogs. My point was that K-9 dogs are a perfectly good tool for police work and if the dogs are misused it's the cop's fault, not the dog's.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Reports claim that she is the one who called the police to check out some kind of noises in the alley. Then she went outside into the alley to talk to police, and something went tragically wrong. Their cams should have been on to attend to the call for suspicious activity in the first place.
How did you come to this conclusion?

Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
It would be a perfect world if we could predict who every bad person is with 100% accuracy. Cops come from the general population, one would think that their numbers are representative of our society. Prison guards also.
The reality is that far too many small town cops are chosen based upon family relations to town politicians.
In bigger cities you have issues as well. I can't speak for every state, or town, but where I am from all you need is a 6 week course and you are qualified to be a cop. We also don't pay very well. Not that pay matters, you have crooked cops in the large cities that actually do pay well and have excellent benefits. A dishonest person is dishonest regardless of what clothes they are wearing or how much money they have.

What we need is a federal police agency, pick one, we certainly have enough of them, to investigate every cop related shooting. It really is a conflict of interest to have a police department investigate themselves.
In large cities we need a board of community leaders to investigate all shootings. People from many walks of life to look at the facts and make a determination. Someone representing the police, the business owner, minority groups, homeowners.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
No I said the same thing. Most here have jumped to conclusions. I don't know if the cops were right or wrong. Neither do they.
I agree with both of you... none of the stories here have had enough info for my liking.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
That's not the way I interpret these regs. It looks to me like they're supposed to turn them on if they have a traffic stop, suspicious person stop, suspicious vehicle stop, emergency driving is required, contact involving criminal activity, escalation of interactions, etc. I'm no expert, but I don't see anything requiring them to have the body cameras on at the time they spoke to the lady, who presumably was not considered a suspicious person or a suspect in criminal activity, since she was the one who called 9/11.
They were on a call. They would not necessarily have to turn them on while randomly speaking to someone but that was not the case here. They were on a call speaking to someone.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:21 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
If the police officials were more open and forthcoming after these types of incidents there might be less inclination for some of us to speculate and jump to conclusions. But in almost every incident of this type that I have seen the police policy is to circle the wagons, stonewall, stall for time, let the dust settle, then sweep it under the rug. So the concerned citizen has little option other than saying "bad police shooting, now prove us wrong".
More to the point. When it's a civilian shooting a civilian the police have no problem releasing details. The media has no problem tar and feathering the suspect.
When its a cop shooting, suddenly we need to make sure we have all the facts. Which will be provided, by the police after they investigate themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies