Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 08:16 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I know these are just two simple metrics in a much larger picture, but it is a curiosity.

So many people want to connect Trump to the current state of the Dow. I personally do not, or should I say a very low %. This is still Obama's economy and I believe the Dow is still feeding off of the table Obama had set for 8 years. I'm not saying that Trump being POTUS has interjected some hope in people to invest in the market as Trump is about infrastructure and jobs and America, and as such investors may want to get in now.

So is the political climate driving the Dow, the economy itself, or what blend of both? I find it interesting. Trumps ratings continue to slide, yet thus far that isn't putting any scare into the market.
What it means, is that those shrewd investors, who research and learn all sorts of things that might affect their stocks, are sure that Trump will soon be just a blotch on the pages of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:23 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
"Mr. Market" is not always rational. Might be wise to not read too much into the current run up. At some point there will a correction. Just hope it's not a crash.

Old 07-17-2017, 09:40 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The Trump poll numbers are Fake Polls (remember the pre-election polls...no different) generated to influence the weak. The stock market is based on the overwhelming belief that Trump and the Republican Congress will enact policies good for business.
first part of your post is patently false and needs no further discussion. As to the stock market the earnings underpinning the stock market has zero to do trump, that is just a fact.

The sentiment is partly due to Trump's promises, but 6 months in Trump has not keep a single one other than place Goldman sachs in charge of themselves and their frenemies ..

Old 07-17-2017, 09:55 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,242,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
first part of your post is patently false and needs no further discussion. As to the stock market the earnings underpinning the stock market has zero to do trump, that is just a fact.

The sentiment is partly due to Trump's promises, but 6 months in Trump has not keep a single one other than place Goldman sachs in charge of themselves and their frenemies ..
Say the easily manipulated weak minded.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:04 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
The stock market was booming back in 1929 too, ...just before it crashed! Warren G. Harding was the MAN back then.
Harding died in 1923.

Old 08-01-2017, 06:54 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Default Does Anyone Here Own Stocks?

I'm just curious if you do, how your stocks have been doing since Trump has been in office. I see all of these up/down numbers on TV on the business channel but I'd like to hear some individuals say how they are doing personally with their stocks and if they are doing well, whether they would vote for Trump in 2020 because of a personal reason, like that. (Not interested in you telling us your personal fortune numbers, just whether you are doing better, a lot better, about the same, not so good.)

I don't see it any differently than your personal wealth improving because your taxes went down, your insurance is cheaper, your utility bills went down or you are making more money employment-wise (getting a job, getting your hours increased, getting a bigger paycheck) and those are all reasons people use to vote for someone.

So, how are you doing with your stocks and would it make you consider Trump in 2020 if you are doing well?

Old 08-01-2017, 07:09 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
So, how are you doing with your stocks and would it make you consider Trump in 2020 if you are doing well?
Yes. The stock market is an important barometer for how well the U.S. economy and the country in general are doing.

The DOW Jones Industrial Average is up almost 11% since January 20, 2017. In spite of all the noise you hear in the media, investors have shown a considerable amount of confidence in Trump's economic policies. As long as this performance keeps up, it's going to be a decisive factor in the 2020 election.

So yeah, keep your eyes on the stock market. It doesn't lie.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:11 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,071 times
Overall I'm pretty flat. I'm made a killing in the stock market under Obama.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:22 AM
JRR

8,164 posts, read 5,657,641 times
We are about 70% stocks in our brokerage accounts/IRAs and have been doing fine. Did not vote for Trump in 2016 and definitely would not vote for him if he ran in 2020.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:25 AM

1,400 posts, read 863,454 times
I'm not personally invested in the stock market right now, but I know someone heavily invested in the defense industry and his stocks have almost doubled since Trump was elected. I thought stocks were way overpriced back then, looking back I guess it was a great buying opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies