Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,648,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People certainly do care. Everybody blames Bush II for the 2008 crash since it happened on his watch.

For the most part, they are correct.
W wasn't responsible for the crash but Presidents always get blamed for gas prices and the stock market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 07:52 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm just curious if you do, how your stocks have been doing since Trump has been in office. I see all of these up/down numbers on TV on the business channel but I'd like to hear some individuals say how they are doing personally with their stocks and if they are doing well, whether they would vote for Trump in 2020 because of a personal reason, like that. (Not interested in you telling us your personal fortune numbers, just whether you are doing better, a lot better, about the same, not so good.)

I don't see it any differently than your personal wealth improving because your taxes went down, your insurance is cheaper, your utility bills went down or you are making more money employment-wise (getting a job, getting your hours increased, getting a bigger paycheck) and those are all reasons people use to vote for someone.

So, how are you doing with your stocks and would it make you consider Trump in 2020 if you are doing well?
If the stock market was the measure, then Obama was the best president ever. My stocks have more than tripled since 2009, but I didn't voter for Hillary although she was supposedly "Obama's 3rd term".

Trump has not done anything to affect the stock market, so its a little early for you to credit him for it.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM

5,277 posts, read 6,210,635 times
The overall stock market is fine but you have to look into individual sectors to see where the growth is occurring. Things improved greatly under Obama but that is partly because they had tanked so badly at the end of Bush 2's Presidency.

I would not consider the stock market a barometer for the overall economy. Its possible for corporations to have more income or value while 'everyday Americans' do not see the same benefit. Sometimes companies improve simply by cutting cost (and employees) while retaining the same sales. Since 2008 jobs and salary gains have not kept pace with stock growth. That's why Obama could rightfully claim and improved economy while so many people feel further behind.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Who ran the House and Senate at that time....Dims...I wonder if people are really so stupid are really just super biased and unable to grasp reality using logic.
and? what does that matter. It wasn't the Dems or the GOP it was the banks.

sure, folks say it was due to forcing banks to make subprime loans to 2% of the population (I'm guestimating on the %) but the banks said screw it, lets give EVERYONE subprime loans because it's free money. What's crazy is the majority of subprime loans were middle class folks who didn't even need them. Everyone got greedy and this is why deregulation isn't a good thing.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If the stock market was the measure, then Obama was the best president ever. My stocks have more than tripled since 2009, but I didn't voter for Hillary although she was supposedly "Obama's 3rd term".

Trump has not done anything to affect the stock market, so its a little early for you to credit him for it.
Obama should have gotten a 3rd term if the stock market is an indicator of a great president.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:01 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
W wasn't responsible for the crash but Presidents always get blamed for gas prices and the stock market.
It is a little problematic when you've been President for 7 years and the stock market takes a huge nosedive of 50% and the economy goes into recession just when you're about to leave.

You've got to own it. People are going to be right to think that the President could have enacted policies to prevent this from happening and becoming as bad as it did. Whatever his policies were during all those years certainly didn't help.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:01 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
In the long term stock market valuations are based on business fundamentals, i.e., earnings, sales, debt levels, etc. Investing in stocks based on which politicians are currently in power is a fool's errand. The market is currently overpriced and is due for a correction. And when it happens the people who give Trump the credit for the bull market will blame the "obstructionist" democrats for the downturn.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:02 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
People certainly do care. Everybody blames Bush II for the 2008 stock market crash since it happened on his watch.

For the most part, they are correct. No reason to sugarcoat that.
Eh. What led to 2008 started in the late 70s. Exacerbated under Clinton. Just became a mud ball rolling downhill.

What I've still got in the stock market is little of my total. That change was not against the stock market, I just found better opportunity in investing directly in medical cannabis and I've got a fair number of real estate back log I need to process (lots to develop).

I don't consider Trump to be a boosting factor for the stock market. Aside from being long over-due and his administration being stuck in a mud hole I'm counting on a recession within the first 18 months of his tenure (also large statistical support for that occurring whenever the office changes from one party to another).

As I wrap up other projects I'll probably build cash for that event or to snap up more properties to develop as time permits. Currently I believe most of the opportunity in the market has been had and theres more gains to make after a downturn.

** I still have a auto-pilot retirement account that ignores the markets. It has it's accumulation plan and it sticks to that plan regardless of short term noise.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:07 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Obama became a good President after Republicans gained control of Congress...in the same way, Bush sucked as President after he had a Dim House & Senate in 2007-2008.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:09 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,092,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Obama became a good President after Republicans gained control of Congress...in the same way, Bush sucked as President after he had a Dim House & Senate in 2007-2008.
Bush "sucked" as president from day one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies