Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 02:52 PM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I understand he violated the policies of Home Depot, but could they not have given him one more chance and a strong reprimand?
I personally have written their customer assistance and stated, my money will now go to other stores. Maybe it go to me cause he was a 'Nam Vet; but regardless, it means my money goes elsewhere.
Home Depot fires 70-year-old Army veteran for confronting shoplifters - CBS News
He violated company policy, physically assaulted people that were only alleged to have shoplifted and his only excuse is a spurious claim that this is what the military trained him to do. Way too many of these mall ninja vigilantes trying to take the law into their own hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 03:14 PM

78,367 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
taken at face value i absolutely agree, i'd have even said that a mild reprimand would have been sufficient. if it's a blanket zero-tolerance policy then i think it needs to be revised and tinney rehired.

but, as mentioned before, we don't know if there have been other issues with tinney that led to his being fired.

also, i know tools are expensive, i'm in home depot weekly picking up weekend-warrior remodel crap, but "thousands of dollars" worth of tools? that's not something you can just slip under your shirt and jump in the car. you'd need a cart ( which are not the most maneuverable beasts ) and some time to load them into a truck.
The get about one a week at the store my friend works at. Latest was a guy that just ran away with a couple nail guns and jumped in his car (maybe $1000 theft) which they have about 4 cameras in that area so they have his plate.

They had two guys roll out an entire cart load back around Christmas but they didn't get far. As we all know, these aren't really smart people.

They also just busted a theft ring around here where a group of "ladies" would show up and try to buy some item and then mace you when you opened the cash register. Busted them when one store got robbed, they called the store 20 miles away with descriptions and warned them and sure enough they strolled in and the cops were ready for them.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
It's a liability because it puts their employees at risk. They probably include this in the training of new employees, and it's possible more was going on than just this one issue.

Companies aren't in a position to defend their actions because they could be sued by the former employee, so it's difficult to make a call in situations such as this one.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:38 PM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Latest was a guy that just ran away with a couple nail guns and jumped in his car (maybe $1000 theft) ....
out of curiosity i just looked up the price of nail guns @ home depot....... ooof!....... going to start being a lot nicer to my neighbor that lets me borrow his.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Private matter between employer and employee.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:44 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
It is very hard for an aging man to change his instincts.

Personally, I think the guy should have been reprimanded, and/or given another class on company policy, but not fired.

At 70, if he's still working, he needs the job. If they don't hire him back, it will likely be his last now.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:06 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
I detest Home Depot for a number of reasons. That said they most likely have policies that have been designed by a very expensive legal team to protect the company from lawsuits.
I know where I work there are a few zero tolerance policies. Violate them and you are fired. No warnings, no second chance, you are finished. Safety is always a big deal to a corporation. Not because they care all that much about the individual, they care about the lawsuit and deep pockets minded juries.
If this man violated a zero tolerance policy, he did so knowing the consequences. Those polices are preached constantly.
Most likely HD doesn't want their employees to act like vigilantes.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
Amazing. Home Depot employees are nowhere in sight when I have a question.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:30 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,461,965 times
"In the Army, they train you to do things like that,"
Home Depot and others hire many veterans who don't trigger like that.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:02 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
I understand he violated the policies of Home Depot, but could they not have given him one more chance and a strong reprimand?
I personally have written their customer assistance and stated, my money will now go to other stores. Maybe it go to me cause he was a 'Nam Vet; but regardless, it means my money goes elsewhere.
Home Depot fires 70-year-old Army veteran for confronting shoplifters - CBS News
Okay, but he potentially endangered his life as well as those around him. A close friend of mine did similar at the pizza joint he worked at some years. Guess what? He got shot.

Retail policy is that the items stolen are not worth your life. I think that's a good policy and it should stay that way.

Him being an Army vet has nothing to do with the story except to pull on heartstrings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies