Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 11:11 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times

Advertisements

Seems like a natural. Most politicians aren't that smart and aren't in step with whats going on around them. Celebs seem like a natural for politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 11:31 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yep:
One percenter-check
Tax dodge- check
Supportive of theft and redistribution schemes-check
Crony capitalist-check
Economic ignoramus-check
Megalomaniac-check
Supportive of censorship- check
Supportive of spying/ data mining -check
SJW-check
But he'll do all those things for the common good if he gets into office.

You just need to brush up on your Marxism.

Old 07-18-2017, 12:11 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 21 hours ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Vote for the Charismocrat! No matter which party takes the office (any office) the Charismocrat ALWAYS wins!

I want my candidate to have the swagger and verbal coordination of a rap star, the forcefulness of a marine drill sergeant, the sex appeal of a Hollywood celebrity, and the dazzling personality of a star salesperson - all packaged in the latest suits handcrafted by the finest Italian tailors.

I want my leaders to have the bright, shining, gleaming IMAGE of a WINNER!!!!! Don't you?

Old 07-18-2017, 12:55 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yep:
One percenter-check
Tax dodge- check
Supportive of theft and redistribution schemes-check
Crony capitalist-check
Economic ignoramus-check
Megalomaniac-check
Supportive of censorship- check
Supportive of spying/ data mining -check
SJW-check
In other words, he might be Trump-Lite.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:09 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Kid Rock, "The Rock" Johnson, Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah, Caytlin Jenner... These are just a few of the celebs who have expressed interest in or are rumored to be considering a run for elected office in the wake of the Trump victory. Two years ago, these declarations from celebrities would have been considered a benign joke that everyone would rightly assume would go nowhere. In fact, these people themselves would never have even considered running for office because they would have known better. They would have known they'd be laughed off the stage. But now? Who the h*** knows? If Trump can do it...

Is this really what our politics have been reduced to? Just another avenue for celebrities to compete in for market share and popularity? Trump has opened the floodgates.

Politics used to be defined, at least in theory, by things like honor, integrity, merit, and ideas. Anyone wanting to be a part of that system was expected to meet a high bar. Even if they didn't always live up to those elevated standards, that was the basic premise and expectation. Now even that is gone. No matter what you might think of Donald Trump - love him, hate him - there is no question his candidacy and subsequent victory have cheapened our political system, or at least the idea of it.
Do you really think that the people we have had in there up until now, are doing such a great job?
We need term limits and new people running things.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:32 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Kid Rock, "The Rock" Johnson, Mark Zuckerberg, Oprah, Caytlin Jenner... These are just a few of the celebs who have expressed interest in or are rumored to be considering a run for elected office in the wake of the Trump victory. Two years ago, these declarations from celebrities would have been considered a benign joke that everyone would rightly assume would go nowhere. In fact, these people themselves would never have even considered running for office because they would have known better. They would have known they'd be laughed off the stage. But now? Who the h*** knows? If Trump can do it...

Is this really what our politics have been reduced to? Just another avenue for celebrities to compete in for market share and popularity? Trump has opened the floodgates.

Politics used to be defined, at least in theory, by things like honor, integrity, merit, and ideas. Anyone wanting to be a part of that system was expected to meet a high bar. Even if they didn't always live up to those elevated standards, that was the basic premise and expectation. Now even that is gone. No matter what you might think of Donald Trump - love him, hate him - there is no question his candidacy and subsequent victory have cheapened our political system, or at least the idea of it.
When I have said that "one should have been known to be more qualified than he", I was reminded what the so-called qualifications are - which is nothing. No wonder we are in trouble. I feel something would need to change after this experience to prevent a similar occurrence, yet it seems unlikely that there would even be someone else like him becoming involved, never having seen anything like it in my life.

There are some who would seem to do a better job, even if actors. Some are educated or are otherwise knowledgeable, sensible and are good people. Then they have all that portrayal experience...haha...so they would speak well and present themselves appropriately (better than Orange-man). It seems those that may be more willing, once again, are coming from some "puffed up" image and idea of leadership, rather than having the capacity for. They would need to have a real interest in and dedication to doing so, besides. Actors or not, one needs to possess certain traits and abilities and be an emotionally-balanced adult, otherwise, look at what can happen.

I have imagined Tom Hanks and wife Rita Wilson fitting the image of a suitable couple for the WH. I think they possess positive qualities, are mature, compassionate....but they would likely laugh at the idea, saying "NO WAY"...(they are smart enough to know how tough it would be). From a certain point, I could see Oprah doing so, since she does possess certain qualities that one needs, but again, I think she knows better.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:16 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
The celebs no matter how they lean politically they always have a 50 /50 chance of winning since the country is pretty evenly divided and partisan. They also have to know they are dealing with the ignorant unwashed masses that do not understand the issues or the sheep like that vote straight ticket. Zuckerman knows this better then anyone being the creator of Face book and reading all that drivel.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
If an idiot reality TV star with no government experience can be president, anyone can.

Donald Trump is the first president in American history to have ZERO experience in government or military.

Trump set the precedent. If people don't like that celebrities are running for president in 2020, blame Donald Trump.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:01 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
Mark Zuckerberg is the only one on that list that is remotely qualified.
A guy who runs a website??? I don't think so.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM

8,497 posts, read 4,559,995 times
Celebrities see that Americans don't value experience for the job of POTUS and you can get elected with all sorts of baggage. All you need is to be well known and say a lot of outrageous things that don't even have to be true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies