Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 02:42 AM

783 posts, read 576,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
would you also feel uncomfortable not seeing your race on screen? Is the quality of the show or movie enough to forget it?

‘Star Wars’ Star John Boyega Blasts Lack of Diversity on Screen: ‘There Are No Black People on Game of Thrones’
No, John. It's the same reason we don't have a black James Bond trying to infiltrate the Kremlin in the 1960s. Or now for that matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 03:49 AM

8,381 posts, read 4,365,088 times
There are far more airplanes in the ocean than there are submarines in the sky.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:25 AM

1,110 posts, read 672,039 times
With all of the plundering and senseless murder in GOT, should there be more characters of color?

Missandei and Grey Worm are two major character who both reside on the more civilized end of GOT's spectrum of humanity. In a hypothetical of interacting with their characters, I'd curry favor and friendship/ if successful consider them allies.

It is not such that Boyega is so oppressed in the industry that he cannot take direct action by doing something (rather than complaining about it). He should write, direct and star in the Treyvon Martin Story (which few would bother seeing) if he wants people of color on the set (though if he takes on all 3 roles there'd be two less POC on the set).

Old 07-19-2017, 09:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
would you also feel uncomfortable not seeing your race on screen? Is the quality of the show or movie enough to forget it?

‘Star Wars’ Star John Boyega Blasts Lack of Diversity on Screen: ‘There Are No Black People on Game of Thrones’
Meh. The Lord of the Rings was written without any strong female characters either. As far as Game of Thrones go, they did have Salvitore Sans. Am I remembering that correctly? And really, you have to be white to be as evil as Cercie is.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:30 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,016,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Here's the thing: GoT is NOT historical, and there is NO MENTION OF EUROPE. There is no reason why any character not explicitly written as white has to be portrayed by a white actor. If you can accept Ice Zombies, but a black Maester or Nightswatchman seems "too PC" for you, you may be the one with race issues.
Then it's simple geography.

Look at it how genetics evolved in our own world.

Warmer climates gave way to darker skin.

GOT and LOTR largely take place in areas closer to Scandinavian Europe and the UK.

Those from GOT and LOTR "middle east/africa" are portrayed with darker skins.

They both take place during natural cultural progression periods that don't see much integration due to an overall lack of mobility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
He probably needs more media attention which he seems to get so he probably doesn't care about what he said but the goal was to get more media time!
I only watched that Star Wars because it was Star Wars. I never re-watched it, but I've watched Rogue One multiple times.

I didn't like:

- the story. Just a rehash of storylines that have already happened. There is so much more material in the Star Wars universe to use other than another death star.

- the main actors. The Rey, Ren, and Finn characters were straight up annoying. The characters themselves were just sad. Rey just... I can't quite explain it, just didn't like it. Ren was too dramatized. Finn was just a token black character that I don't really recall seeing in a movie for a long time. Simply reminded me of a South Park episode the whole time.

- main characters. See above basically. Just poor compared to the wide range of characters that have existed. Overall was too jar jar binks/hayden christiansen like.

Something like Knights of the Old Republic character development wise and plot line wise would be so much more entertaining. Really getting tired of the death star arc.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:14 AM

285 posts, read 225,066 times
There aren't many White people in Tyler Perry movies. I never hear Whites complaining about that.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:27 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,647,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I only watched that Star Wars because it was Star Wars. I never re-watched it, but I've watched Rogue One multiple times.

I didn't like:

- the story. Just a rehash of storylines that have already happened. There is so much more material in the Star Wars universe to use other than another death star.

- the main actors. The Rey, Ren, and Finn characters were straight up annoying. The characters themselves were just sad. Rey just... I can't quite explain it, just didn't like it. Ren was too dramatized. Finn was just a token black character that I don't really recall seeing in a movie for a long time. Simply reminded me of a South Park episode the whole time.

- main characters. See above basically. Just poor compared to the wide range of characters that have existed. Overall was too jar jar binks/hayden christiansen like.

Something like Knights of the Old Republic character development wise and plot line wise would be so much more entertaining. Really getting tired of the death star arc.
+1

I'm a huge Star Wars geek. I liked Rogue One a lot. The Force Awakens was pretty terrible. I mean, I even preferred the prequels over TFA.

Boyega should reflect upon himself too....Finn was such a waste of a character. I also didn't like the Disney Channel-esque acting of Rey and Finn....felt like I was watching some crappy fan-fiction. Not only was his plot weird, and his dialogue "token" black guy-ish "Hey do you have a boyfriend?", but his character was a stormtrooper who's occupation was a SANITARY WORKER!

Of all of the characters to be in Star Wars, he was literally a trashman. The other Star Wars movies with black actors had leadership roles (Lando led Cloud City, Mace Windu was a Jedi Master), yet, he played a TRASHMAN in Star Wars, and he feels the need to talk trash about the lack of black people in LOTR and GOT?

Get outta here, Boyega! lol.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:39 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Just more evidence that liberals are miserable people who always need to be whining victims.

Old 07-20-2017, 04:05 PM

14 posts, read 6,561 times
^^ Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies