Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 06:18 AM

45,135 posts, read 26,317,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It isn't the teachers who are dumbing down education.

They don't run anything beyond their own classrooms. The problem starts with governors and legislatures then gets compounded by bureaucrats.

And, as conservos like to shout at the top of their lungs, "The GOP controls most states and their legislatures!"

Yes, politics plays a huge role in the quality of public schools. One party's goal is to disband public education in favor of "privatization." That party has a vested interest in seeing schools fail.
you make a fine case for closing govt indoctrination centers...er uh public schools.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
you make a fine case for closing govt indoctrination centers...er uh public schools.
Your misperception is showing.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:35 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
You just described your nephew. Remember that thread you started where your nephew was getting ridiculed by some liberal elitist professor for his poor writing and argumentative skills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
I never stated he got an A!!!
But you thought his grade was too low even after his grammar and lack of cognizant argument and organization of thoughts were pointed out to you.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:36 AM

25,803 posts, read 16,451,635 times
Private schools people.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:41 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,779,430 times
More schools are dropping class ranking as well. No more valedictorians or salutatorians. Anything that helps identify achievement is being removed. In part, it's because some races fare poorly when ranked which is counter to the desired narrative of discrimination. In part it's because any kind or distinction other than class is being eradicated: sex, race, nationality distinctions are all being removed because the only allowable distinction is class.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:45 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,510,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
High school graduates who can barely read, write and do basic math getting A's on their grade cards. Only in liberal America everyone gets a trophy.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...age/485787001/

That everyone getting a trophy and participation ribbon is wrong to me too.

I believe it is more than that with graduating not knowing what students should know.

School have grossly become inundated with non speaking English students huge burden cost and lack of communication.
Flooded with political agenda gay lesbian transgender against.
Racial equity training. District where I live, $9 million alone on that!!!!!!!

Teachers and administration are burnt out.
Parents suing for silly stuff.
School staff don't know what direction to turn.
Although this is the result of the education systems unrealistic liberal agenda.

Now the students are suffering.

Drop the racial equity crap, transgender crap.
Go back to the three R' s of etching and put gym class back.

Take the politics out and firmly deal with the nutso parents.

Get student cell phones out of the schools!
And their free IPADS gone or limited.

Old 07-18-2017, 06:49 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,918,322 times
Heh, back when I was in high school a 93 was an A-, you needed a 94-96 for an A, and 96+ for an A+. If you got a 70 you were already at a D-.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:07 AM

23,836 posts, read 14,963,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
That everyone getting a trophy and participation ribbon is wrong to me too.

I believe it is more than that with graduating not knowing what students should know.

School have grossly become inundated with non speaking English students huge burden cost and lack of communication.
Flooded with political agenda gay lesbian transgender against.
Racial equity training. District where I live, $9 million alone on that!!!!!!!

Teachers and administration are burnt out.
Parents suing for silly stuff.
School staff don't know what direction to turn.
Although this is the result of the education systems unrealistic liberal agenda.

Now the students are suffering.

Drop the racial equity crap, transgender crap.
Go back to the three R' s of etching and put gym class back.

Take the politics out and firmly deal with the nutso parents.

Get student cell phones out of the schools!
And their free IPADS gone or limited.
In some schools the tablets are also textbooks. Trouble is, in mine, the parents have to pay a big damage deposit.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:53 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Only about 50% of students planning on going to college take SAT's. The other half take ACT's. ACT's actually test what you've learned in school. SAT's have more to do with verbal skills and reasoning aptitude.

In the old days, SAT's were big on the east coast and most of the rest of the country took ACT's. Nowadays you'll find students who take both, many because they're trying to get into a school out east.

I'm saying all of this because this article doesn't necessarily give a complete picture of what's going on.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:56 AM

50,153 posts, read 46,811,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There is a problem with graduates not being at the 12th grade level, we can see it even in many those that choose to attend college. The conundrum is that leaving back non-performing students dooms them to drop out, so what's the solution. Teachers are limited and many have parents that have no interest in education or holding their kids responsible. Problem is there are so many kids in the same boat they some how view it as acceptable to fail at education and gravitate to the least common denominator. Sheer laziness and lack of effort is widespread.
Single parents are the most common denominator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.