Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2017, 02:35 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,631,921 times

Advertisements

Love the self registers at Panera as for the first time it is better to see the menu as the self registers show images of all items.

For that reason we ordered new stuff we didn't know they had. On top of that we often get discount to use these self registers. Sorry employees but we like this way of ordering.

The same counts for McD!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 05:28 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,509,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Bingo. Automation rocks. I use self checkout all the time, and do it faster than the cashiers, with stuff bagged properly.

Good move by Subway.
Glad it rocks for you.
Why does it though?

I have never used one.
Being I value the person ringing up my purchase. They have mouths to feed and bills to pay just like me. Also, I don't go to self Check out, in hopes jobs do not dwindle.
Meh, I spend some.more minutes in line, big deal. In the bigger picture it is not about me.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:29 AM

51,613 posts, read 25,661,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Love the self registers at Panera as for the first time it is better to see the menu as the self registers show images of all items.

For that reason we ordered new stuff we didn't know they had. On top of that we often get discount to use these self registers. Sorry employees but we like this way of ordering.

The same counts for McD!
Why am I not surprised.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 07-19-2017 at 06:00 AM..

Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM

45,126 posts, read 26,303,081 times
I like the "rapid pick up" option that Panera has. Order/pay online and pick up in the store without ever having to talk to an employee.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:32 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,509,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Here's a question for the right winger "pro-robotics" crowd: what's gonna happen when this automation tech "branches out" from low-skilled/fast food type jobs and "trickles up" to the "good, secure" jobs such as healthcare, engineering, law, government, trades, etc??

If people have no money, what will keep the economy going? How will the government fund itself? Since robots do not pay taxes? It's common knowledge that capitalism depends almost entirely on spending, it just doesn't "work" or grinds to a snail's pace if spending slows down for any reason (see: 2008-present). It certainly starts to sputter/stall out once a large enough % of the population has no money or is broke.

Gotta think ahead, we can't all be on welfare ....unless universal basic income becomes a thing.

It's easy to laugh at low-paid/fast food workers..... will you be laughing if your job is replaced/automated by robotics? That's what i thought.

Another angle to consider: those fast-food workers are still human beings, they need shelter, they need to eat, they need healthcare, etc - and many obviously do not have the money to go back to school to train for something else. There is that risk that "suddenly" displacing a large amount of these unskilled fast-food type workers may result in an increase in crime, thefts, robberies, etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but personally i would rather have low-IQ John Doe manning the register at some easy $8/hour McJob than breaking into my car or loitering around the neighborhood/getting into gangs/drugs etc.
Very well.said words.i so agree.

Old 07-19-2017, 05:35 AM

4,534 posts, read 4,917,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
What will the functional illiterates do when automation takes over their low skilled jobs?
The same thing physicians will do when machines get good enough to make them obsolete for surgery or the same thing that pharmacists do now that weve had automated prescription dispensers for the last 15 years that are creeping more and more in to replacing pharmacists.

They've had self ordering kiosks on the east coast in convenience stores and gas stations for order sandwiches for going on almost 15-20 years now. It's really not the panacea it's made out to be.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:07 AM

19,707 posts, read 10,047,505 times
Walmart self checkouts, at least here, malfunction so often that they keep a cashier standing there to correct the errors, and watch for theft.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:11 AM

57,033 posts, read 26,001,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UbbyJuice View Post
Here's a question for the right winger "pro-robotics" crowd: what's gonna happen when this automation tech "branches out" from low-skilled/fast food type jobs and "trickles up" to the "good, secure" jobs such as healthcare, engineering, law, government, trades, etc??

If people have no money, what will keep the economy going? How will the government fund itself? Since robots do not pay taxes? It's common knowledge that capitalism depends almost entirely on spending, it just doesn't "work" or grinds to a snail's pace if spending slows down for any reason (see: 2008-present). It certainly starts to sputter/stall out once a large enough % of the population has no money or is broke.

Gotta think ahead, we can't all be on welfare ....unless universal basic income becomes a thing.

It's easy to laugh at low-paid/fast food workers..... will you be laughing if your job is replaced/automated by robotics? That's what i thought.

Another angle to consider: those fast-food workers are still human beings, they need shelter, they need to eat, they need healthcare, etc - and many obviously do not have the money to go back to school to train for something else. There is that risk that "suddenly" displacing a large amount of these unskilled fast-food type workers may result in an increase in crime, thefts, robberies, etc. I don't know about the rest of you, but personally i would rather have low-IQ John Doe manning the register at some easy $8/hour McJob than breaking into my car or loitering around the neighborhood/getting into gangs/drugs etc.
That discussion has already come up, in the future they are talking about stipends for people not working. Automation will mean more unemployed.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:30 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,705,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post

The same counts for McD!

We use the phone app to order while on the way to the restaurant. Walk in and bypass ALL the lines and grab our food.

Old 07-19-2017, 06:33 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,705,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Then Bachelor's degrees will be devalued, and a Master's degree will be necessary to get any job.

I'm sure the student loan industry would raise a glass to your thought process.
The degree either BS or MS is not what is important. The field of study is what is key. My BS in IT is more valuable than any MS in "gender studies".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies