Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Yeah, I'd bow out if I was you too. I fully explained the context of both quotes you lifted from me, proving that the terms "rare" and "uncommon" are identical. Perhaps Webster or Oxford can better help you at this stage.

What you think is not based on reality. I gave you a link to a WAPO website. I asked you to drill into the police killings database so you can see that police killings are a continually growing problem in America. Obviously, you're still going on what you feel instead of what is.

Discredit the information? I just mentioned you sourced a foreign newspaper. I never said it was a good thing or a bad thing. Like I said: touchy!

And really? So the media is covering this because she's from another country? C'mon man! The black-white narrative is smack dab in your face and you're plainly ignoring. And yet...I'm the one with "some agenda". So tell me all-knowing MPowering: what is my agenda?

Where did you get the idea that I don't think police killing citizens is a growing problem?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:42 AM

224 posts, read 134,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Skin color doesn't play any part, subconscious or otherwise , looking at defensive shooting situations involving either LE or citizens. I would however be looking at any past criminal records, particularly for violent offenses, all circumstances leading to the shoot, the character of the person who did the shooting and for LE that's includes performance evaluations and disciplinary actions, phsycological evaluations, and other relevant dept records and the color of the individual (s) who have been shot doesn't matter.

In the court of public opinion it does matter though. It so matters to those in charge of the dept and whatever city is involved. Politics. I doubt I would be a very popular guy on a shooting review committee. I won't play ball for either team. My ruling would be objective. I recently watched a very good documentary on the 92 LA riots and how that "investigation" was handled. Wow! What an obvious paving of the road to an aquittal there. And then when things went pear shaped Gates and Bradley pointing fingers back and forth like a couple school kids in the principals office.

Having been involved in a self defense use of lethal force myself and going through the subsequent investigation I can attest to how much different it is for citizens as compared to cops. Someone very dear to me went through the same thing and she was treated pretty bad by a couple detectives involved in her case. Enough so I wanted to choked them. Women in sexual assault cases, even ones that are obvious cases of being justified in use of lethal force, have a good chance of being treated this way. I got a lot of the same myself in the investigation of my case minus some pretty nasty allegations buried in the line of questioning.

How much rope is played out for cops invloved in shootings as compared to citizens is pretty amazing. I wish I cod have had an "internal review" conducted by my friends and family. It also took me close to 3 months to get my weapon back even after the investigation was over and I was cleared. And no paid vacation. Unless you count the personal leave from work I had to burn dealing with it including travel back and forth from where I lived to where it happened. Over 200 miles round trip. LE shooting reviews have some perks for officers involved we citizens don't enjoy.

If an LE involved shooting does go to a jury provided that jury is taken from the actual community the shootings happen ed in, I don't see a Black or other person being at a disadvantage with that jury. However, such as with the Rodney King jury, a change of venue was involved. Thus the jury pool was indThe deck is stacked slanted. Let's not be to obvious in skewing things to LEs side now. The deck is stacked across the board. The case here looks like the dept is going to have to offer up a couple sacrificial lambs so as to keep the status quo from being to closely scrutinized.

Since this has gone international and all eyes are riveted on it the usual obvious methods aren't available to burn it out and fade it away. The focus will be on the dept and the city escaping relatively unscathed and the load of excrement landing on the heads of the individual cops. Noor partners statement was obviously canned. He was told what to say by his superiors. Noor himself is plutonium. Both are going down to one degree or another. If the partner plays ball he may get out with his skin still on. But Noor himself? May as well stick a fork in him. He's skinned and cleaned, hung to cure and the grill is hot and waiting.

It seems it will be impossible to keep racial factors out of this,, which I personally find to be a shame. But there's not much to be done with that. If things were played out right this could lead to justice for all. No matter the color of skin. But I'm dubious as to that happening.
I like all that you have said. I too wish that justice is colorblind. But it isn't. And the more of us that can recognize this means that we the people can push for change.

You said: "Skin color doesn't play any part, subconscious or otherwise , looking at defensive shooting situations involving either LE or citizens"

However, studies from various sources (journalist, academicians, legal scholars) note the painful and obvious reality:
What the Data Really Says About Police and Racial Bias | Vanity Fair

And sadly, it doesn't stop there. Even the Supreme Court weighed in on racial bias in the jury box earlier this year:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ican/95015868/

I just don't understand why people don't want to deal with the obvious. My guess is that unless you're not black or brown, you get the option to not deal with the sad realities of criminal justice. I am hoping that justice is served in this woman's case. But I think it would egregious if this officer was locked up while countless white officers continue to walk free if this situation is similar to those other events. Because it would prove to me (once again) that justice in America is not colorblind.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:43 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,521,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Political Correctness and racial equity is over the top in Minneapolis St. Paul.
This may be why this officer was on the force

The police department did not create this.
Yes, the city officials have along with BLM
Quote:
Yeah. He couldn't get on the force any other way. Sad that people still think like this. And this is why that officer is going to jail once that jury uses your ideology to assess this officer and the situation that led to this tragedy.
TallBull, it is a fact his education. It was listed publically. And hiring criteria for tbe MSP dept. This has been listed in this forum you can do a search to find it.
Noor did not meet the criteria. Somehow he was still hired.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
I love it when the police department is not refer to as "the force"

Old 07-20-2017, 08:50 AM

1,548 posts, read 912,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arc-lang View Post
After I saw the 911 transcript, I now know that this officer is toast. Now that Australia has demanded justice, the USA will be compelled to serve this officer up on a nice large platter.
They'll get nothing, and like it.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I'd bow out if I was you too. I fully explained the context of both quotes you lifted from me, proving that the terms "rare" and "uncommon" are identical. Perhaps Webster or Oxford can better help you at this stage.

What you think is not based on reality. I gave you a link to a WAPO website. I asked you to drill into the police killings database so you can see that police killings are a continually growing problem in America. Obviously, you're still going on what you feel instead of what is.

Discredit the information? I just mentioned you sourced a foreign newspaper. I never said it was a good thing or a bad thing. Like I said: touchy!

And really? So the media is covering this because she's from another country? C'mon man! The black-white narrative is smack dab in your face and you're plainly ignoring. And yet...I'm the one with "some agenda". So tell me all-knowing MPowering: what is my agenda?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Where did you get the idea that I don't think police killing citizens is a growing problem?
Didn't you say earlier that the media seems to ignore when a white person is shot? So what is Wapo? A chicken restaurant. The database I mentioned is a comprehensive list of people white and black who have been killed by police officers. I've seen stories in Vanity Fair, NY Daily News, etcetera that shows people of all stripes being killed by the police. The Wapo database is just one example. The point is: the media is doing its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Personally, I think it's not a rarity for cops to shoot first when they could have waited or handled things differently, and it's shocking to me that they're getting away with this. But my disgust also lies with the media who seems to ignore it when it's a white person being shot. The only reason this story has legs is because she's from another country.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:23 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
I like all that you have said. I too wish that justice is colorblind. But it isn't. And the more of us that can recognize this means that we the people can push for change.

You said: "Skin color doesn't play any part, subconscious or otherwise , looking at defensive shooting situations involving either LE or citizens"

However, studies from various sources (journalist, academicians, legal scholars) note the painful and obvious reality:
What the Data Really Says About Police and Racial Bias | Vanity Fair

And sadly, it doesn't stop there. Even the Supreme Court weighed in on racial bias in the jury box earlier this year:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ican/95015868/

I just don't understand why people don't want to deal with the obvious. My guess is that unless you're not black or brown, you get the option to not deal with the sad realities of criminal justice. I am hoping that justice is served in this woman's case. But I think it would egregious if this officer was locked up while countless white officers continue to walk free if this situation is similar to those other events. Because it would prove to me (once again) that justice in America is not colorblind.
I'm typing on my phone and it makes changes I don't always catch. That statement you question is supposed to say "TTO ME" skin color doesn't matter , and it won't let me change it now. This phone isn't the best way for me to post but my computer is down right now. Sorry for any confusion. My intent here is to say that skin color doesn't matter to me and shouldn't be, but unfortunately is, a factor in these shooting reviews. Thus how I brought up LA 92 and how the city and dept wrangled that change of venue. Let's not be to obvious in stacking the deck.

Old 07-20-2017, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I'm typing on my phone and it makes changes I don't always catch. That statement you question is supposed to say "TTO ME" skin color doesn't matter , and it won't let me change it now. This phone isn't the best way for me to post but my computer is down right now. Sorry for any confusion. My intent here is to say that skin color doesn't matter to me and shouldn't be, but unfortunately is, a factor in these shooting reviews. Thus how I brought up LA 92 and how the city and dept wrangled that change of venue. Let's not be to obvious in stacking the deck.
You are one of the few bright spots on this forum. Keep writing...even on your phone :-)

Old 07-20-2017, 10:12 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,873,838 times
The globalists are happy...lets get more Somalians on our police forces throughout the country.Lets sprinkle in some illegal immigrants just to be fair.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:16 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Guess what's the most dangerous country in the world with the highest violent crime rate?

Somalia

https://answersafrica.com/violent-cr...y-country.html

He has 3 complaints against him in 2 years. (The police can't say what they are if they are open.) Maybe his behavior is cultural.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies