Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2017, 03:45 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
A "good officer" doesn't let culturally related issues affect their job.

I come from a law enforcement family. I can guarantee that they are not "taught to shoot first" especially when it's a noise. That said, if there is a reason to discharge their weapon (they are under direct and identifiable attack) "other methods" won't do the job like a firearm will.
There are a good amount of officers that I read about and see in videos that are not of the "shoot first" mentality.
As far as culturally, that comes down to training. If his trainer didnt teach him the differences between his culture and ours, there was the problem. But if he was here long enough to attend the academy, and was on the job 2 years, I highly doubt he he was ignorant of the culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Castille case........12 jurors ( 2 of whom were black ) sat and heard all the evidence and acquitted the police officer.

The jury vote was UNAMIOUS !
I dont think you truly understand the logistics of how police involved shooting cases normally work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You do know that SHE is the one who called 911 because she heard noises behind her home... right? She was in her bathrobe, and the officer shot her from the passenger seat. They had their body cams turned off. Convenient.
I think he was being sarcastic.

Last edited by Harry Hemi; 07-21-2017 at 04:11 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 03:50 PM

4,314 posts, read 3,996,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Yes we do, and let's hope that it was just an accident.
But something is telling me that there is a bigger problem with this particular case.

When I first heard that it was a "Black policeman" who did it, quite honestly I've had hard time picturing your regular American-born Black cop pulling something like this.
But reading the following -

"he came to the U.S. at a young age and that he believes being a police officer is his calling"
and THEN

" The lawsuit claims Noor and the other officers violated the woman's rights when they entered her home without her permission and Noor grabbed her wrist and upper arm" - this raises a red flag for me.
This "calling" of "being a police officer" can have a different meaning in a Somali head.
So let's hope that it was just an accident.
Because if it was NOT an accident, the police department in Minneapolis missed already a couple of red flags when it comes to this particular person.
(3rd paragraph)

I wonder at what age he got the " calling" to become a police officer.

It certainly wasn't at a younger age or why would he have spent 4 years in college getting a degree in business ?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:01 PM

224 posts, read 134,269 times
Quote:
Yes we do, and let's hope that it was just an accident.
But something is telling me that there is a bigger problem with this particular case.

When I first heard that it was a "Black policeman" who did it, quite honestly I've had hard time picturing your regular American-born Black cop pulling something like this.
But reading the following -

"he came to the U.S. at a young age and that he believes being a police officer is his calling"
and THEN

" The lawsuit claims Noor and the other officers violated the woman's rights when they entered her home without her permission and Noor grabbed her wrist and upper arm" - this raises a red flag for me.
This "calling" of "being a police officer" can have a different meaning in a Somali head.
So let's hope that it was just an accident.
Because if it was NOT an accident, the police department in Minneapolis missed already a couple of red flags when it comes to this particular person.
Dude, you do realize that people lie right? How can you believe one person or the other without further analysis?
When you say the calling can have a different meaning in a Somali head, what is it you're really saying. Are Somali's from Jupiter? Do they think any differently than a Jamaican or an Italian? Do they think at all?

The dog whistles are just blaring in your comment!

Old 07-21-2017, 04:05 PM

26,787 posts, read 22,545,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Dude, you do realize that people lie right? How can you believe one person or the other without further analysis?
When you say the calling can have a different meaning in a Somali head, what is it you're really saying. Are Somali's from Jupiter? Do they think any differently than a Jamaican or an Italian? Do they think at all?

The dog whistles are just blaring in your comment!
Some do. Some don't.
If Somalians would have been identical to Italians, Somalia would have been identical to Italy.
But it's clearly not a case.

Last edited by erasure; 07-21-2017 at 04:44 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
(3rd paragraph)

I wonder at what age he got the " calling" to become a police officer.

It certainly wasn't at a younger age or why would he have spent 4 years in college getting a degree in business ?
All are good questions, provided it was not an accident.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Some do. Some don't.
If Somalians would have been identical to Italians, Somali would have been identical to Italy.
But it's clearly not a case.
Oh c'mon! If someone tells you that they have a "calling in life" to do something, does it really matter where they are from?

I have no clue what this means: If Somalians would have been identical to Italians, Somali would have been identical to Italy. Feel free to provide enlightenment because I can't comment on what I don't understand.

Old 07-21-2017, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Oh c'mon! If someone tells you that they have a "calling in life" to do something, does it really matter where they are from?
Yes. You'd know those things if you'd be more out and about in this world and if you'd be more aware of "different cultures."
For someone from a place like Somalia "being a police officer" might have an equivalent of "being in a position of authority," not "enforcing law and order."
And "being in a position of authority" has a toxic meaning in the third world countries.

Quote:
I have no clue what this means: If Somalians would have been identical to Italians, Somali would have been identical to Italy. Feel free to provide enlightenment because I can't comment on what I don't understand.
Since people are all different, the countries they live in, reflect those differences.

Last edited by erasure; 07-21-2017 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Yes. You'd know those things if you'd be more out and about it this world and if you'd be more aware of "different cultures."
For someone from a place like Somalia "being a police officer" might have an equivalent of "being in a position of authority," not "enforcing law and order."
And "being in a position of authority" has a toxic meaning in the third world countries.

Since people are all different, the countries they live in reflect those differences.
So by your logic, I should only accept advice and insight not by someone black or white, not even by another First Nation person, but by another Lakota since it is my culture that determines my perspective? Hm.
And isn't being in a position of authority means you have the power to enforce law and order? How does one enforce without authority?
And position of authority has a toxic meaning in 3rd world countries? I'd love to read an example or two from your direct experience.

Not you directly, but it amazes me that people who are "educated" must always distinguish things. I'm betting that Somali police officer bleeds the same color of blood that you do, has similar ambitions as you in terms of taking care of his health and his family, probably even eats similar food like you do. And I bet if you were blind as a bat, you probably couldn't tell where he was from. Do you get it? We're all human. We're all cut from the same thread. What does it matter that the man is from a 3rd world country?

Old 07-21-2017, 04:53 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,137,597 times
Quote:
And position of authority has a toxic meaning in 3rd world countries? I'd love to read an example or two from your direct experience.
We're all human. We're all cut from the same thread. What does it matter that the man is from a 3rd world country?
https://www.hrw.org/news/2010/06/17/...omali-refugees

This could shed some light on 3rd world policing.

Quote:
Based on interviews with over 100 refugees, the 99-page report, "‘Welcome to Kenya': Police Abuse of Somali Refugees," documents widespread police extortion of asylum seekers trying to reach three camps near the Kenyan town of Dadaab, the world's largest refugee settlement. Police use violence, arbitrary arrest, unlawful detention in inhuman and degrading conditions, threats of deportation, and wrongful prosecution for "unlawful presence" to extort money from the new arrivals - men, women, and children alike. In some cases, police also rape women. In early 2010 alone, hundreds, and possibly thousands, of Somalis unable to pay extortion demands were sent back to Somalia, in flagrant violation of Kenyan and international law.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
https://www.hrw.org/news/2010/06/17/...omali-refugees

This could shed some light on 3rd world policing.
Harry, please read my quote carefully:

Any Joe can go on a website and clip and article that fits their narrative. I'm sure there are European forums that look at our country's law enforcement as 3rd world since we kill more people in a day, than they do in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies