Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2017, 04:56 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Nobody else that I recall in reading through the thread has suggested what you did above. You make a good point.
Yes he has a point in regards to the current state of the police in this country. But is this really the standard we should have. People in situations like this can act emotionally, they can make mistakes. This should not automatically mean that they forfeit their lives.

I also can appreciate that it is a difficult job for cops and often not a very thankful job. But still shooting more importantly accepting the shooting of unarmed citizen just because they startled a cop cannot be the answer. We simply have to better than that as a society in this country.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:00 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
If Minneapolis is a sanctuary city, this Noor might go free. They may not even prosecute.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:11 PM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
I'm not defending his actions. He was out of line, and is just as bad as all the other cops who have shoot unarmed citizens for little reason. Wouldn't you agree?
I see plenty of reason if the "victim" disobeys, resists or even mouths off at the cop. If the cop simply shot someone because her activity violated his religious sensibilities or for the fun of it that's a very different story.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:12 PM

316 posts, read 214,472 times
I think we should have the same empathy for everyone regardless of their race or who they are. You don't solve things by making it racial and sweeping anyone under the rug because they're not man of the hour.. A female POC cop was killed by black man awhile back and that story disappeared quickly as this will..

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/05/n...-shooting.html

Old 07-22-2017, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
Dont know how you missed it, the thread is 46 pages long and is 4 days old.
I love City-Data but I also work.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I see plenty of reason if the "victim" disobeys, resists or even mouths off at the cop. If the cop simply shot someone because her activity violated his religious sensibilities or for the fun of it that's a very different story.
This is usually called "acting suspiciously" when cops have shot unarmed citizens in the past.
But I agree, SHOULD this cop have pulled the trigger because of his religious sensibilities he is 100% wrong just as cops in the past would be 100% wrong SHOULD they have pulled the trigger because of their racial sensibilities or profiling.

What I think, is that we have a problem with cops in general, in this country. They seem to use lethal force too quickly at slightest aggravation or what they perceive as aggravation.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
Yes he has a point in regards to the current state of the police in this country. But is this really the standard we should have. People in situations like this can act emotionally, they can make mistakes. This should not automatically mean that they forfeit their lives.

I also can appreciate that it is a difficult job for cops and often not a very thankful job. But still shooting more importantly accepting the shooting of unarmed citizen just because they startled a cop cannot be the answer. We simply have to better than that as a society in this country.

Klassy is a she, and that's who I was responding to in my post. She's right to say people should stay indoors and not go out and try to crime solve on their own. I'm surprised the person who took her call didn't tell her that.

That she didn't stay inside doesn't justify what happened, of course. I remember a few months back, a black cop who was at home called 9-1-1 when he heard gunshots, then grabbed his gun and went outside, only to be shot by the police who thought he was the perp. Everyone on c-d (myself included) said that he should have stayed inside. The crime being phoned in involved gunshots and the police had no way of knowing who was who.

I also remember cops in CA looking for a black perpetrator, but put several bullet holes in a van that two Asian women were driving, saying it all matched the description and they thought they heard gunshots which were just the sound of newspapers hitting the driveway.

The entire business of policing needs a major overhaul. There's no excuse for so many innocent lives taken by people who are supposed to be keeping us safe.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
JBG, are you saying you see justification for a person being shot if they disobey, resist or mouth off at the cop?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
JBG, are you saying you see justification for a person being shot if they disobey, resist or mouth off at the cop?
Yes. Police have a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. A civilian fighting back is an offense against order and civilization.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Yes. Police have a monopoly on the legitimate use of force. A civilian fighting back is an offense against order and civilization.
I'm glad you're not a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies