Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 01:07 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordsRus View Post
When I was 21, I was living in the UK and had never gone to a doctor ... oh, except for that gynecologist thingie that all women have to do if they want birth control and to help with painful periods, etc. etc. Yeah, so except for that, I had never been to a doctor either.

When I fell off a bike and needed stitches, I got all the care I needed, not one penny charged to me, and I wasn't even a UK citizen. Same thing a year later when I contracted bronchitis.

When I was 28 and living back in the states, I fell and sliced open my arm. No doctor, no insurance. Took me two years to pay off the ER bill.

So if you're a young male who is completely sealed off from the world and never, ever receives an injury and is never exposed to a single germ ... yeah, that's great for you! Yay!

Otherwise, ****. Single payer IS the moral high ground, and anything else is breathtakingly selfish. At least you should have the guts to own it.
and many if not most conservatives/republicans would be all for singlepayer....if, if two questions could be answered

1. can you guarantee the level/quality of care...because we have seen the "Dept of Health horror clinics", and the all too many times we are reminded of the lack of quality from the VA

2. and the second, but probably most important question....How will we pay for it???

TRUE singplepayer...100% paid by the federal government, no copays, no deductibles.. to cover 323 million people will cost over 5.75-6.25 trillion for the first year, with each and every years the cost increasing with inflation

non-singlepayer "medicare for all", which is a 75/25 government insurance, which you not only have to buy supplemental insurance (or just pay the remainder out of pocket), but you also have copays will cost about 3.2 trillion

our current budget is about 3.5 trillion but our current revenue is about 3 trillion...about a half a trillion deficit.....of that 3.5 trillion dollar budget the federal government budgets about 1.2 trillion for mandatory health care (medicare,medicaid, va)

so where are you going to get the additional 2 to 5 trillion dollars to pay for some kind of singlepayer or medicare for all????

taxing the rich to death....well that will cover the first year...then what, when there are no more rich to tax.....

we have 323 million people here in the USA, yet less than 1/4 are tax payers

Last edited by workingclasshero; 07-18-2017 at 01:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 01:08 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,525,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Don't ya just love how Trump flip-flops on his biggest campaign issue of healthcare!? In December before taking office, he was going to "repeal and replace day 1."

Now, after six months of repeated failures, Trump has gone from "we're gonna repeal and replace" to "let's just let it die" because he can't kill Obamacare himself like he promised his voters he would.

L-M-A-O!
He must be so tired of winning, bigly!

Old 07-18-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I think they try to do too much to soon. Obamacare was not passed until 2009, IIRC.
Almost 7 years is too soon?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:14 PM

1,115 posts, read 1,208,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
and any conservatives/republicans would be all for singlepayer....if, if two questions could be answered

1. can you guarantee the level/quality of care...because we have seen the "Dept of Health horror clinics", and the all too many times we are reminded of the lack of quality from the VA

2. and the second, but probably most important question....How will we pay for it???

TRUE singplepayer...100% paid by the federal government, no copays, no deductibles.. to cover 323 million people will cost over 5.75-6.25 trillion for the first year, with each and every years the cost increasing with inflation

non-singlepayer "medicare for all", which is a 75/25 government insurance, which you not only have to buy supplemental insurance (or just pay the remainder out of pocket), but you also have copays will cost about 3.2 trillion

our current budget is about 3.5 trillion but our current revenue is about 3 trillion...about a half a trillion deficit.....of that 3.5 trillion dollar budget the federal government budgets about 1.2 trillion for mandatory health care (medicare,medicaid, va)

so where are you going to get the additional 2 to 5 trillion dollars to pay for some kind of singlepayer or medicare for all????

taxing the rich to death....well that will cover the first year...then what, when there are no more rich to tax.....

we have 323 million people here in the USA, yet less than 1/4 are tax payers
That's the thing though, we already pay more for healthcare than single-payer would cost. The sticky bit is that that money would be channeled to the gov't first before being paid out to private healthcare providers. Our taxes would go up, but many people would have more money in the end.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:16 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
"Republicans should just REPEAL failing ObamaCare now" D. Trump

That just shows how ignorant this man is. He has absolutely no clue that repealing/stopping/abolishing all health care in the US would virtually destroy every hospital and medical office in the country.
Repealing ACA would be a setback for many people, especially those with pre-existing conditions, and young people who will not be able to stay on their parents policies between the ages of 18 and 26, and those that have used ACA to be able to retire early. For them this could be disastrous. Of course it won't affect anyone on employer policies, or those on Medicare.

Single payer is the only practical solution, we already have the structure under Medicare.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:20 PM

957 posts, read 757,641 times
[quote=Dbones;48878425]lmao..That doesn't abolish HC. What a stupid ass thing to say. Are you saying there was no HC in this country at all before 2010? [/quote
Oh yeah, those were the good old days when a person had to decide as whether they wanted the life saving medical procedure to save a themselves or a family member or keeping their home.

Of course trump and associates loved picking up homes at rock bottom prices. It's no wonder the scoundrels want to do away with the ACA.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
And many companies are doing away with employees all together and hiring independent contractors instead, so they don't have to offer any benefits whatsoever. The ACA was a godsend for people like that, who had zero access to health insurance before it.

More and more people will find themselves in jobs that offer no health insurance. And the GOP's response to them is, s*c*r*e*w you. We don't give a damn about any of you.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:24 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,631,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
No absolutely not. This get rid of it at all cost will hurt many people. I am republican and conservative on many an issue. But we need single payer health care. This is just trying to slap Obama [Not that I am against that lol] in the face to repeal. I don't like Obama, he was a divider and he hates America but we do need a single payer system.
up until the last line you sounded like an American. But right there at the end, you claimed Obama hates America. You proved yourself part of the Problem.

Clearly Obama does not "hate" america, but you say it because you yourself are filled with hate for Obama.

You many not agree with Obama's policies, but i bet you sure as hell can't find any real proof he hates this nation or tried in anyway to hurt it. Frankly if you really believe Obama hates the USA, you need to look at yourself, your life, your worldview. Because you have made a huge mistake.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Repealing ACA would be a setback for many people, especially those with pre-existing conditions, and young people who will not be able to stay on their parents policies between the ages of 18 and 26, and those that have used ACA to be able to retire early. For them this could be disastrous. Of course it won't affect anyone on employer policies, or those on Medicare.

Single payer is the only practical solution, we already have the structure under Medicare.
Of course it would. Employer policies prior to Obamacare ran the gamut from worthless to solid gold. Many skipped maternity, didn't pay for women's health issues, had waiting periods when you got the job, and lifetime caps on what would be paid and even pre-existing exclusions. When Ocare is repealed all of the essential benefits and constraints on insurers will be gone both in the individual and greater employer marketplaces. The level of benefits you get will depend on the job you hold. In fact, there will be no requirement that any employer provide coverage at all, so you can expect many to drop it.

Old 07-18-2017, 01:27 PM

957 posts, read 757,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
up until the last line you sounded like an American. But right there at the end, you claimed Obama hates America. You proved yourself part of the Problem.

Clearly Obama does not "hate" america, but you say it because you yourself are filled with hate for Obama.

You many not agree with Obama's policies, but i bet you sure as hell can't find any real proof he hates this nation or tried in anyway to hurt it. Frankly if you really believe Obama hates the USA, you need to look at yourself, your life, your worldview. Because you have made a huge mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies