Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 10:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Doesn't is correct, not don't, and actually, we'll never know for certain if they would have come together or not because McConnell didn't go down that road.

No offense, but I was asking GW, and I'd like to know why he holds his stated belief.
Ok grammar police. The votes even if they killed the filibuster are not there to pass it in the Senate. Sorry. I doesn't matter if it is GW saying it or not, the fact is there were not enough votes there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 10:33 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Medicare for everyone. Pay your premiums and opt in, or not. That's the answer. Huge risk pool, so lower premiums, contains a deductible ( a reasonable one ) and coinsurance for accountability and your choice of doctors. If you care to opt out, buy your own. Done. See, was that so hard?
There have been some threads where how much the employer and employee payroll deduction would have to increase to fund that was discussed. Have you looked at any of those threads?

Old 07-18-2017, 10:36 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
There have been some threads where how much the employer and employee payroll deduction would have to increase to fund that was discussed. Have you looked at any of those threads?
Well if these companies were union then the payroll deduction wouldn't be increased. But republicans hate unions.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
However, the GOP and Trump will own the consequences of their inability to repeal or replace. In my house, if I see a problem, I don't care who caused it, I act on it so that it doesn't become a bigger problem. That's my responsibility.
Your spouse doesn't get to filibuster ?

Old 07-18-2017, 11:02 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,472,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BicoastalAnn View Post
I think it's fair to say Dems own Obamacare as it is now, both successes and failures. The fact that premiums became unaffordable for some, that insurers are pulling out of some markets, etc. They do own that.

But if Trump takes action to make it WORSE, like stop the subsidies, then Reps own that. I mean come on, you can't put a nail into someone's tire and say it's the driver's fault that he got a flat. If you do something to anything that fundamentally changes it, then you do own the result.

But barring that, I don't think it's fair to say he owns the way ACA is playing out now. He (or the party) does own the failure of Reps to rally around a NEW plan, though. It's laughable that they'd blame Dems for not voting for their plans... that's like calling Reps obstructionists for not voting for a single payer bill. You can't blame someone for not voting for something they fundamentally disagree with.
He DOES own it, then. He CHANGED it.

"Executive Order Minimizing the Economic Burden of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act"

Signed: Jan. 20, 2017

Hours after being sworn in, Trump signed an executive order aimed at reversing the Affordable Care Act — Obama's landmark legislation — which Republicans vowed to "repeal and replace" throughout the campaign.

The executive order states that the Trump administration will "seek prompt repeal" of the law. To minimize the "economic burden" of Obamacare, the order instructs the secretary of health and human services and other agency heads to "waive, defer, grant exemptions from, or delay the implementation" of any part of the law that places a fiscal burden on the government, businesses or individuals.

Also in the order are directions to give states more control over implementing health care laws.

Donald Trump's ACA executive order appears to target Obamacare mandate - Washington Times

Old 07-18-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
It depends who the a Dems put up to run against him in 2020. Trump could win if Dems don't nominate someone who is ethical and pro-American.
Ah, but you forget - it's Bannon who is running this show.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Well if these companies were union then the payroll deduction wouldn't be increased. But republicans hate unions.
Which is irrelevant, because your example doesn't fit the scope our whole society, and the individual market...which is utilized within different parts of our society, is part of the center of what is being discussed. Not to mention, even in the most unionized private companies, a number of employees aren't unionized, and their functions aren't necessarily suited to being unionized. I'm not a Republican. The point I was making is it isn't quite as simple as you made it sound in your other post.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:08 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I know a lot of Trump fans are not happy with Obamacare.

How does it make you feel when your president says, "We'll let Obamacare fail. We're not going to own it."

Letting it fail will leave you and others without insurance. This, after #45 said he had a great, wonderful healthcare plan to cover you and your loved ones.

How does this make you feel? I'm genuinely curious.
I think it is a smart move. The Democrats are blocking everything he attempts and the complicit liberal media is trying to put the blame of the current and unsustainable system on the (R's).
So let Obamacare fail as it was destined to do, then we will be back to where we were before Obama lied to get it passed.
My premiums and deductibles will go way down, and I will be happier than I am with this abomination.
Then we can make adjustments to improve the old system instead of trying to have the government run and screw up 1/5 of our economy.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I saw on a Facebook reply to a local news outlet that this is typical of a guy who routinely declares bankruptcy. I'll give you one guess who they were talking about...
I was thinking the EXACT thing earlier! He thinks he can just 'walk away'.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:17 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by man4857 View Post
When does Trump ever own up to anything? All I see is his twitter rants about how everyone is against him except Fox and Friends....
You could blame him for not getting this clunker repealed, along with some Congress critters. However, the fact that it is a clunker rests with those who signed it into law. Nowhere on this bill is the signature of Donald Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies