Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 AM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I'd say an end to suffering is always great news and its especially great that his parents have finally understood his condition and the futility of any experimental treatment. Now they can stop wasting their time on court cases and instead spend their time with Charlie is his last days. I feel so sorry for them but more sorry for Charlie.
"“Our poor boy has just been left to lie there for months without treatment … left with this illness to deteriorate to point of no return,” Connie Yates said later in a statement outside of court."

Actually I'd say they have accepted their son is doomed after being imprisoned by the courts and government of Great Britain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Didn't you folks learn anything from the Schiavo case? Mind your own business.
I learned to be wary of courts. They can be idiots. But I already knew that.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The Hospital is bound by a Court Order and Charlie has to remain at Great Ormond Street Hospital unless the Judge reverses the decision in relation to the current court hearing, as for childrens hospital they are of course very secure with their own security team backed up by the police. As the welfare and safety of children is taken very seriously.
Yes, therein lies the problem. They should have hit the trail much sooner.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
"“Our poor boy has just been left to lie there for months without treatment … left with this illness to deteriorate to point of no return,” Connie Yates said later in a statement outside of court."

Actually I'd say they have accepted their son is doomed after being imprisoned by the courts and government of Great Britain.
That isn't actually true though, what she said. The hospital were going to do the treatment themselves and were asking for ethical clearance (a necessary step - you can't experiment on a patient that can't consent without approval from the ethics committee) when Charlie started fitting which caused the brain damage that meant it was futile to try the treatment. Since then their poor boy has been left to lie there for months because of his parents refusal to accept the truth. Its very wrong of them to blame the hospital and I reckon they're looking to sue which would be awful - they need to consider the impact of their behaviour on other patients in that hospital.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:53 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
Quote:
Yes, therein lies the problem. They should have hit the trail much sooner.
GOSH offered the American doctor the chance to examine Charlie way back in January, he said no. In other words he couldn't be bothered to see little Charlie.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:13 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times
There is no fixing what is wrong with that poor baby.

I think many posters here simply don't understand what mitochondria are. Every cell in Charlie's body is defective. His cells cannot adequately perform a basic life function, and any new cells he makes are also defective. His problem isn't just brain damage - ALL the organs in his body are suffering severe damage.

The fact is that as wonderful as modern technology is, there are things it can't do.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
GOSH offered the American doctor the chance to examine Charlie way back in January, he said no. In other words he couldn't be bothered to see little Charlie.
Knew this was coming .... let's trash anyone who isn't on board with the NHS. Can't do much for Charlie, but I hope others can benefit from this experience before your child is imprisoned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBFlQNcwtI

Old 07-25-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
That isn't actually true though, what she said. The hospital were going to do the treatment themselves and were asking for ethical clearance (a necessary step - you can't experiment on a patient that can't consent without approval from the ethics committee) when Charlie started fitting which caused the brain damage that meant it was futile to try the treatment. Since then their poor boy has been left to lie there for months because of his parents refusal to accept the truth. Its very wrong of them to blame the hospital and I reckon they're looking to sue which would be awful - they need to consider the impact of their behaviour on other patients in that hospital.
Now I wonder how long it to ask for ethical clearance.

I would guess you mean he started having seizures?

Old 07-25-2017, 12:55 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,247,964 times
Quote:
Now I wonder how long it to ask for ethical clearance.

I would guess you mean he started having seizures?
Yes, fitting is having seizures.

You would be wise to read GOSH's latest statement on the case, you might understand the whole situation a little better than you do now Latest statement on GOSH patient Charlie Gard | Great Ormond Street Hospital

Old 07-25-2017, 05:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
As time goes by and more details come out, we see that the parents -- in their grief and emotional state, did not make the best decisions and that the hospital was right to keep the interests of the baby boy as their priority.

They aren't bad parents, just too emotionally attached to be able to really see the whole story.

They now will look to blame -- he might have lived IF....but the reality is nothing would have changed

So sad. Heartbreaking for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies