Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 08:51 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,153,395 times

Advertisements

Uh. Wow, totalitarian much?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 09:32 PM

13,232 posts, read 21,853,680 times
I think it's great. BDS is an anti-Semitic hate group that's infiltrated every college campus in the US, not to mention the UN. They're just a propaganda arm of the Palestinians and won't stop until Israel is destroyed. I doubt the bill will pass, but it's a good sign that the US started to wake up and reject them.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:45 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,755,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We now have lawmakers sponsoring a bill to make support of basically any international boycott of Israel a criminal act. Not to mention that governors have already been doing everything in their power to stop any anti Israel boycotts on the local level.

Can it be that our lawmakers have become so damn crooked and beholden to special interest groups that they'll take our free speech rights away from us right in front of our faces, and they know that we'll do absolutely nothing about it?

This isn't about Israel. Frankly, I don't know why anyone would care to boycott them and I'm not really interested either. Their internal affairs aren't really my problem. The issue is our government stomping all over the rights of American citizens on behalf of one nation that has exaggerated importance to us. And even if they had any real importance to us, it still doesn't matter. How in the hell can you make boycotting anything illegal?

Any lawmaker that votes for this should be recalled. Here's an important excerpt:

https://theintercept.com/2017/07/19/...gainst-israel/
Freedom of speech on Israel & your right to anonymity on the internet, is why I was outraged that CNN threatened to release the Reddit posters real name for pointing out the pro-Israel media bias. No way you should be called a racist & anti-Semite for this post.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 PM

39,876 posts, read 26,554,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Any Cult 45 want to comment on this? Freedom from health care, freedom from free speech, Keep the freedom rolling baby!
Considering that the main proponent is the anti-Trump wack job from NY (Chuckie Schumer), perhaps the anti-Trump tantrum throwers should explain...

Old 07-19-2017, 09:46 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,828,697 times
I support Israel because its the only liberal democracy in the Middle East. It's an oasis of freedom and tolerance in one of the most backwards, intolerant regions of the world.

However, the GOP love-fest with Israel, largely due to their End Times beliefs, also angers me. The entire point in this bill is the fear that God will destroy America if there is a significant anti-Israel segment of the population here. People should have freedom of speech and thought, even if it's critical of God's chosen people.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:59 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,096,767 times
Is that what friends do to friends?

Old 07-19-2017, 10:27 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I support Israel, but they shouldn't get a penny of our taxes and people should feel free to boycott them if they choose.

This, in a conceptual manner, isn't much different than the government pursuing the bakery in Colorado.

If you support the government placing sanctions on that baker so that he isn't anti gay, you need to support this bill to be consistent. Refusing to sell to Jews isn't much different.
Rep point.

I understand that you support Israel (whatever that means), but to me, this has nothing to do with Israel and everything to do with our long held tradition of free speech. How in the hell can we allow it to become limited in the case of ONE country? This is pure madness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I support Israel because its the only liberal democracy in the Middle East. It's an oasis of freedom and tolerance in one of the most backwards, intolerant regions of the world.

However, the GOP love-fest with Israel, largely due to their End Times beliefs, also angers me. The entire point in this bill is the fear that God will destroy America if there is a significant anti-Israel segment of the population here. People should have freedom of speech and thought, even if it's critical of God's chosen people.
What does "support Israel" mean? Israel isn't really relevant here. It may be a democracy in a tough place, but true fact is that pre-1948, the United States NEVER had any issues with that region and the people who lived in it...Arab or Jew, Christian or Muslim. No enemies whatsoever. Pretty much everyone over there was a friend.

Moreover, God isn't gonna destroy anyone based on their Israel policy. Germany was the wealthiest nation in Europe less than a decade after committing the Holocaust. That in and of itself is all the proof you need that no group is chosen by anyone.

The bottom line here is that American politicians should not be shutting down free speech on behalf of any nation or interest group. Israelis themselves probably don't approve of this nonsense. I doubt that American Jews do either. This is a bunch of crap dreamed up by wacky pols looking for more campaign cash.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:33 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,643,460 times
I think if people want to support Israel, they can do as many Italians did after coming to this country still wanting to support their birthplace. They can send their gold and shekel's to the motherland.

American needs to concentrate on our problems and people and stop trying to save the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I think it's great. BDS is an anti-Semitic hate group that's infiltrated every college campus in the US, not to mention the UN. They're just a propaganda arm of the Palestinians and won't stop until Israel is destroyed. I doubt the bill will pass, but it's a good sign that the US started to wake up and reject them.
You don't change laws violating the basic tenets of our country because universities embrace free speech, which is one of those tenets.

We've lost enough civil liberties over the years.

Old 07-20-2017, 06:37 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,347,911 times
What has Israel ever done for us?

I don't get the sucking up.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:38 AM

15,948 posts, read 12,309,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
What has Israel ever done for us?

I don't get the sucking up.
Though I'm past my anti-zionist phase I went through in my 20's, it's a documented fact jews have a disproportionate control of hollywood, judicial system, banks, major corporations, etc. Naturally they will create policy that benefits themselves. They aren't the top of the pyramid, rather somewhere in the middle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies