Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 04:56 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I support Israel because its the only liberal democracy in the Middle East. It's an oasis of freedom and tolerance in one of the most backwards, intolerant regions of the world.

However, the GOP love-fest with Israel, largely due to their End Times beliefs, also angers me. The entire point in this bill is the fear that God will destroy America if there is a significant anti-Israel segment of the population here. People should have freedom of speech and thought, even if it's critical of God's chosen people.
Let's leave religion out of this as there a numerous Christian churches who have divested from doing business in Israel.The Mennonite Church did so this month.

https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/07/0...t-from-israel/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 04:59 PM

House Committee Approves Strict Restrictions on US Funding for UN and Palestinian Authority

https://www.algemeiner.com/2017/07/2...ian-authority/

dated: JULY 20, 2017 4:58 PM

Old 07-20-2017, 05:11 PM

57,228 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Cuomo passed a bill in NY banning businesses from contracts if they boycott Israel andthe Long Island politicians are trying to get a concert by Roger Waters canceled because he criticized Radio Head for doing a concert in Israel. This is nothing more than pandering to the jewish vote.
The legislator attempting to cancel Waters is from a Othodox Jewish community where the US Israeli Ambassador resides. If they cancel Waters will sue and he will win taxpayer dollars in court, this is stupid to say the least.

Long Island Officials Are Trying to Cancel a Roger Waters Show Over His Criticism of Israel | SPIN

Old 07-20-2017, 05:25 PM

Roger Waters can take a long walk off a short pier.

Defying Boycotters, Radiohead Plays Longest Concert in 11 Years Before 47,000 Israeli Fans

Quote:
Radiohead, the popular rock band that was attacked by anti-Israel boycotters over their decision to perform in Israel, defied their critics and played their longest set in 11 years before a crowd of 47,000 in Tel Aviv on Wednesday.

The group’s outspoken lead singer, Thom Yorke, eviscerated critics including Pink Floyd founder Roger Waters for demanding that Radiohead cancel their concert in Israel, calling them “offensive” and “patronizing in the extreme”
Defying Boycotters, Radiohead Plays Longest Concert in 11 Years Before 47,000 Israeli Fans | The Tower

Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM

This link speaks volumes about BDS.

Quote:
"The usual Islamist claim is the danger to the mosque and the shrine is from Jews," he said. "Here there was an actual conspiracy to smuggle weapons into this holy place and Hamas does not condemn it, they praise it. Who poses the greater danger to Al Aqsa?"
Temple Mount Terror Exposes True Defilement Threat

Old 07-20-2017, 05:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
BDS has a negative effect on West Bank economy. Just look at all the years they spent on Soda Stream. Soda Stream closed it's factory in the West Bank and nearly a thousand people were made unemployed. Soda Stream opened a new factory south of the West Bank and those jobs went to Bedouins. Israel has gotten so fed up with "Day of ....." garbage that it has contracted with a China firm to supply construction workers.

If BDS is for the Palestinian people, then where are the 10,000's of jobs that they've created for the Palestinian people? BDS is a wing of HAMAS and all they do is to enrich their own pockets. They've had the Gaza Strip for 12 years now and created nothing.
I don't follow this, and I'm not supporting BDS. I simply reported what I'd read in the JPost.

I just think we can stop worrying about the ME and let them figure it all out on their own. We don't need to be there, we don't need to send money to anyone, and we sure as hell don't need to enact laws that limit our constitutional rights.

Old 07-20-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I don't follow this, and I'm not supporting BDS. I simply reported what I'd read in the JPost.

I just think we can stop worrying about the ME and let them figure it all out on their own. We don't need to be there, we don't need to send money to anyone, and we sure as hell don't need to enact laws that limit our constitutional rights.
It's not enacting its expanding existing legislation.

Quote:
...expand existing legislation, adopted in 1977 in order to counter the Arab League’s boycott on Israel, to include also anti-Israel boycotts initiated by international bodies...
Anti-BDS Bill Authors Say It Won

Old 07-20-2017, 06:09 PM

57,228 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Roger Waters can take a long walk off a short pier.

Defying Boycotters, Radiohead Plays Longest Concert in 11 Years Before 47,000 Israeli Fans

Defying Boycotters, Radiohead Plays Longest Concert in 11 Years Before 47,000 Israeli Fans | The Tower
So Roger Waters concert needs to be canceled because he voiced an opinion?

Old 07-20-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So Roger Waters concert needs to be canceled because he voiced an opinion?
An opinion? You need to research what he does at concerts. Painting a Star of David on a pig and floating it during a concert venue is not stating a opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJdztXuWOyQ

Old 07-20-2017, 07:14 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
It's not enacting its expanding existing legislation.

Anti-BDS Bill Authors Say It Won

It's wrong. We're losing fewer rights and for what purpose?

Is it the pig you object to? The floating pig is part of all of Pink Floyd concerts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies