Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 08:12 AM

78,405 posts, read 60,579,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The picture of the family also has me doubting that the baby kicking the seat caused an issue. Maybe it's an old photo. I doubt you would have even felt the kick from that small child. This whole story stinks of lies.
I've had it happen to me on a flight, trust me you feel it.

The thread title is wrong anyway...they were kicked off because mom went ballistic and thought she could bully her way on through. Not on an airplane you can't but you can imagine she does this at stores, resturants, teacher meetings....everywhere.

If you've never met someone like this in your life count your blessings, I know one and they can be male or female, but there is no talking to them...they just go berserk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 08:13 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
I agree. For them to delay a flight and return to the gate costs a lot of money. Not a decision taken lightly. I don't believe a word of what the family is saying, not a word.
Agree.

The captain does not abort a flight plan for frivolous reasons.Commercial carrier incurred an incremental expense to turn it around and return to a gate and knew full well, the offending passengers were likely to take it to social media and litigate for a settlement.

This family was not removed because their 1-year-old kicked the seat in front of them.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
The Jet Blue supervisor was meek and ineffective. They need to have a more take charge attitude, like the police/security guy had. He was taking a ton of verbal abuse and trying to reason with the unreasonable. Of course he couldn't answer, they would not let him.
I disagree. Those people were trying to escalate the confrontation. That supervisor was in a no win situation. The Police and security guard don't represent Jet Blue. The Supervisor ignored the abuse and allowed the parents to act like idiots in front of the police and a camera.
Just from that video I would say Jet Blue was justified.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:20 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I hate anyone touching my seat, but I am now more skeptical of the people who automatically blame the kid.

We were all squished into the world's tiniest leg/seat-room old ass American Airlines plane for a 5 hours flight.
The ahole in front of us...of course...reclines her seat. Just above my 3 year old's feet. AND THEN YELLS when he jostles her seat.

Of course I told her she could eff herself.
So you used your 3 old to punish someone for reclining their seat and they are the ahole?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:25 AM

1,261 posts, read 950,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie682 View Post
I flew frequently with my daughter from the time she was an infant. She never acted up, cried or kicked anyone's seat on a plane.

The problem most parents make when they fly with kids is they don't bring things to entertain them. Coloring books, sticker books, snacks, electronic games, etc. A bored toddler with nothing to do but stare at the seat in front of them because the parent didn't plan appropriately is probably going to kick the seat and act up. It's common sense.
How lucky you were. I traveled frequently with my children when they were young. I prepared. In fact, I overprepared. I had snacks, drinks, activities. We had electronic games and downloaded videos. And guess what? Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it did not. One particular flight I remember - my year and a half old son wanted only to walk on the second leg of a 20 hour journey (14 hrs in the air, 6 hours in airports - an underserved market with few flight options), which wasn't allowed due to airline regulations at the time. I ended up with a toddler who did cry and scream and kick the seat in front of him. I remember sitting there almost in tears trying everything in my carry-on to distract my child as the person in front of us berated me. Even if I could have afforded first class seats for us it would not have helped - it wasn't a legroom issue, it was a toddler issue.

Maybe people could try a little compassion? Yes, flying is uncomfortable. It is uncomfortable for everyone. The person who reclines their seat in front of you isn't out to get you - they just trying to make an uncomfortable seat tolerable. The person who stretches their legs out in the aisle most likely isn't trying to trip you, and the person who takes the arm rest most likely isn't making some sort of power play. And the person whose toddler is screaming and acting up most likely isn't an awful parent - they are just doing their best to handle a little person who is still at the point of their development where everything they feel on the inside is shown on the outside.

Last edited by AminWi; 07-20-2017 at 08:50 AM..

Old 07-20-2017, 08:28 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
If the "world's tiniest leg/seat-room" isn't enough space for your kid to keep his kicking under control, maybe you should have upgraded to seats with more room. Like the first row, or first class. People have a right lean their seats back without having them kicked.
The seats are so close together it is impossible unless you fly first class or the exit row. There is only so much you can do, it is the pain of flying. We flew last week and there was a little girl behind my 15 year old daughter, kicking. My daughter was annoyed but understood there wasn't much she could do.

Yesterday I was on a flight in the back of the plane with several families with younger kids. The kids were mostly behaved, but a pain. They were loud, screaming at times, kicking etc. I put my headphones on, watched a movie and did my best to ignore. I can't afford to upgrade or first class so I suck it up and deal. I am sure there is something I do that pisses people off too.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I've had it happen to me on a flight, trust me you feel it.

The thread title is wrong anyway...they were kicked off because mom went ballistic and thought she could bully her way on through. Not on an airplane you can't but you can imagine she does this at stores, resturants, teacher meetings....everywhere.

If you've never met someone like this in your life count your blessings, I know one and they can be male or female, but there is no talking to them...they just go berserk.
Again, Bergen, like nearby Brighton Beach, is code speak for a faction of an ethnic culture well known for demonstrating way over the top rude, aggressive and intimidating behaviors. There is no other reason for the NY Post to have mentioned the family's neighborhood in Brooklyn.

New Yorkers, inclined to read the Post, tend to appreciate the nuance. Not all behave this way. Enough do to cause a spectacle like this, from time to time.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,962,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Of course, the parents couldn't get up and walk the kid down the aisle. Even if the plane was in the air, they shouldn't be walking their kids up and down the aisle. Everything from air turbulence to annoying other passengers and getting underfoot of the flight attendants makes this a poor idea.

If your kid is unable to sit in the seat for the duration of the flight, then take a train or stay home.
I'm trying to follow your logic here. Do you think a baby who may need to be walked on a plane, in order to fall asleep, would somehow not need to be walked on a much longer train ride, or are you saying that air travel has different levels of propriety from other forms of mass, long-haul transit? It's absurd for anyone who knows anything about America rail infrastructure to post trains as a viable alternative.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:44 AM

19,630 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
I disagree. Those people were trying to escalate the confrontation. That supervisor was in a no win situation. The Police and security guard don't represent Jet Blue. The Supervisor ignored the abuse and allowed the parents to act like idiots in front of the police and a camera.
Just from that video I would say Jet Blue was justified.
I have seen one older female flight attendant put four people worse than these two in their place and they were quiet as can be the rest of the flight. I suspect if it hadn't worked they would have been off that plane in 2 secs. with no arguments or whining. You broke the rules, you are not flying with us today, bah-bye. This supervisor should not have required the police to help him get them to understand its over. Although this second video does make them look worse, like bullies to the polite employee, I suppose.
The cop said basically what I think - their airplane, their rules.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:48 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
If the "world's tiniest leg/seat-room" isn't enough space for your kid to keep his kicking under control, maybe you should have upgraded to seats with more room. Like the first row, or first class. People have a right lean their seats back without having them kicked.
Sorry. Disagree. In part.

Passengers should not be forced to deal with egregious behavior from other passengers, and, yes, that includes parents not properly overseeing their children and kids kicking seats.

But what stan4 described was NOT his kid kicking the seat - he said "shift" - but that a young child is not tall enough for their legs to extend over the seat cushion and then downward. Sure the kids could be propped forward with pillows until their knees reached seat edge or sit sidewise but then they would not be properly buckled in and at risk during turbulence.

If you extend your seat backward in these situations you will hit up against the child's feet. Same principle as hitting up against the knees of a tall passenger. Simple physics.

Frankly, if you don't like the consequences of YOUR action (the movement from the child or tall passenger occasionally shifting, NOT kicking) then it is you who needs to upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies