Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:47 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
This has nothing to do with reparations. This is not about being lazy. It's about blacks not having a huge financial structure that they should have been able to pass down from generation to generation. You little life story has nothing to do with the topic. I'll make it fit the topic though...imagine you put in all that work for somebody else's bank account and then that person said..."I don't owe you anything...that's too much for me to give back I'd be broke...you're lazy work harder like I did".
So, where are all these amazing financial structures that were supposed to be passed down to my husband's family? Or the many struggling working class whites in the country? Perhaps they slept in on White Benefits Day.

Just like you apparently slept through history class if you can even make an analogy like that as if you ever even knew someone who lived through slavery, much less imply that you yourself did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 12:02 AM

3,538 posts, read 1,326,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
So, where are all these amazing financial structures that were supposed to be passed down to my husband's family?
i've already covered this. But again...you're presenting a concern about the logistics of distributing reparation...this is not a case against reparations. And in a previous post i linked to an article that listed about 15 corporations that start from slavery. Imagine 15 more black corporations out there that could have been started with the money that was owed. There are even some ivey league schools with ties to slavery.

Quote:
Or the many struggling working class whites in the country? Perhaps they slept in on White Benefits Day.
i'm glad you brought this up. There would be no white american middle class if the government hadn't stepped in and created it. Welfare was like 90% white for the first 40 years. (it only became a bad thing magically once more blacks could get welfare). Whites were also given favorable loans for land and mortgages. Some whites were even taught how to farm the land they were given...amongst other things. Sure there are some whites who've failed or just doing bad currently it's not from some outside thing like slavery/jim crow. And constantly trying to compare people who arrived under different circumstances is a silly thing to do. Many whites like to portray that fake ass "we worked hard and bootstrapped" when really they were on welfare and only became middle class due to what would be described as "handouts" today.

Quote:
Just like you apparently slept through history class if you can even make an analogy like that as if you ever even knew someone who lived through slavery, much less imply that you yourself did.
You don't understand generational wealth or you're playing stupid because you know you don't have a real argument. I'm aware that many of you like to exaggerate your idea of generational wealth to mean millionaires, but you know that in reality we're talking about the fact that white household on average have about 16 times more net worth to them than black households...this is a function of wealth being passed down. Blacks should have been able to pass down wealth from slavery, but excuses excuses.

How about this...if its so easy to just catch up...why don't whites just pay reparations and show us how it's done? You know, just work harder. Prove to us how it's done.

Old 07-22-2017, 12:17 AM

6,470 posts, read 4,066,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Reparations were paid to the living persons who were actually in the camps or who parents were actually in the camps. People who were actually affected by the questionable actions of the government in a time when putting American citizens in concentration camps was not a socially acceptable and common practice.

The Native Americans were finally awarded their monies that the us government mishandled.
Neither of these situations are giving money to someone because of their race or because their ancestors nearly 400 years ago were sold into slavery.
I am talking about reparations for those alive during Jim Crow. I said No to Slavery, which actually ended 160 years ago. But the victims of Jim Crow are still alive and their children/grandchildren are the majority of African Americans alive today. Maybe by 2030 very few of them will be alive but as of today many of them are alive today. Jim Crow is almost equivalent to Japanese Internment if not worse,

They both share isolated communities, the Japanese behind actual walls, the African Americans systematically separated from White Americans and even other Americans such as Asian and Hispanic Americans although they were discriminated against. This was for about a 100 years of Jim Crow, Japan's lasted 5, while Jim Crow and Internment camps in different ways are both horrendous my thinking is one groups got reparations, one group is still alive and hasn't gotten any. Their are currently 4-5 million black people who experienced Jim crow to some degree. I think they deserve reparations.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:02 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallBull View Post
Paul Congemi should and will win! He is a reflection of America much like the current monkey in the WH and the circus animals in congress. 8won6, do yourself a favor buddy - end this thread. You can't allow yourself to be affected by what others say about black people. Since my people's land has been robbed, I would take this man up on his offer. I've never been to any country in Africa. And I know there are some stable countries like Rwanda, South Africa, and Ghana worth living in and helping in its development. But what has history taught you? The colonizers will never leave you alone. Whether it's the CIA assassination attempts against Fidel Castro who threw that US puppet Bautista out of office, to whites burning down Tulsa Oklahoma during the "Black Wall Street" era in 1921, to the current Standing Rock Reservation protests in North Dakota where the Sioux are holding onto a land treaty that has become as worthless as the promises given to all First Nation people - the colonialists will never leave you alone. So it means nothing that he's offering to fly people "back to Africa" when his people will meet you at the airport.

Do blacks deserve reparations? More than any other group of people, even First Nation people who were foolish to fight amongst ourselves as well as align with early settlers to our own demise. Unfortunately, here is the reason why reparations will never come for the black man...

Sitting Bull Lakota said: Hear me, people: We have now to deal with another race- small and feeble when our fathers first met them, but now great and overbearing. Strangely enough they have a mind to till the soil and the love of possession is a disease with them. These people have made many rules that the rich may break but the poor may not. They take their tithes from the poor and weak to support the rich and those who rule.
Even THAT gets sticky since the different American Indian tribes came in 4-5 waves; if wee're gonna go there, that means tribe 2, 3 and so on WILL need to leave and go back to Asia. Let's see how THAT works out.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:35 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
The percentage of the national population that is Black is, IIRC, about 13%

Per the 2010 Census, the Black percentage of the population of the city of St. Petersburg was 23.9 %.

Hopefully this mayoral candidate has (proverbially) 'shot himself in the foot' badly enough to prevent his being elected.
Hopefully, said candidate will learn his lesson from getting beaten at the polls.

Something else. America is 13% Black. However, Blacks are not the only minority in the USA. And there are many other people that do not like Trump. Trump didn't even get the popular vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies