Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 10:45 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times

Advertisements

So help me understand how do poor immigrants moving to the US with no "net worth" and are able to live successful lives and build successful businesses? And if they don't then definitely their children or grand children most definitely do. And I'm not just talking about European immigrants, I'm also talking about groups such as the Chinese, Japanese, Koreans, Vietnamese, Mexicans, Cubans, Ethiopians, Nigerians etc. yet the decedents of slaves can't pull them selves out after all these year? you want to know why? Immigrants live in strong communities with big strong families where they pool their limited resources and money together to improve their lives, black Americans don't live in strong communities with large strong families. Black people should support black businesses by shopping in black businesses just like immigrants support immigrant businesses by shopping there, and black people need to instill family values into their youth so that young men don't abandon the women they impregnate, yes I know there are a lot of good black fathers, but there are way more fatherless black people than among other groups, that is also why house hold incomes are much lower among blacks than other races because most families have two people earning money in the house holds, and among immigrants children bring in money once they get old enough, but with black people it's usually just one person, the mother who brings in the money, and the moment their children get old enough they abandon the family. If that is not the case than sorry for making inaccurate statements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Truth is, I'm not that concerned about the reparations part of this. I'm more concerned that someone running for mayor feels bold enough to say the things he said. Either he doesn't care that he might lose. Or, he might try to appeal to those who hate Blacks. Or he's mentally unstable and shouldn't be running a city.
Yes to this and your previous comment. I'm not necessarily concerned with the reparations part, it's the fact that people like him would rather turn a blind eye to the problems minorities (specifically Black Americans) face in this country and make asinine statements like go back to somewhere you or your family have no ties to for generations instead of dealing with the problem.

Then like you said they wonder why AA's tend to vote a certain way, all the while they spew some of the most ridiculous and hateful rhetoric.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:46 AM

2,412 posts, read 1,446,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avram42 View Post
I agree that I don't know. Educate me. If the Drug War is one of your examples I'm already on board with ending that.

I am empathetic, but I don't think a free check is necessarily the solution. "Predatory loans" still require a voluntary interaction on the part of the 'victim'. You could easily claim that the way to address that is with education or regulatory labeling (not that I'm advocating for either) rather than a payment. Higher education is likely not a race issue in general... we have far too many people of any color or gender getting degrees in studies that aren't very useful. I live in a liberal town and I have people with more time in school than myself serving me at restaurants.

I also agree that the government is the problem but I advocate for less meddling, not more.

The first is likely true just in aggregate but this is otherwise a lot of thoerysplaining. I'm probably considered middle class and my 'net worth' is technically negative. To the latter: I know no police officers or judges--I'm not sure where this assumption even comes from.

Most loans black people take are for paying some kind of bill, whether medical, school, or other. Loan companies know all of this, yet they give us higher interest rates than other groups of people. The reason why they are predatory is because they know we don't have the money. They know we are a vulnerable group due to our history, and it's not like we have other choices. (Again we have no money)

As for schooling and getting an education in fields where there are job opportunity, it still doesn't benefit the black community. Black people who get degrees in S.T.E.M, are still unemployed at high rates compared to everyone else. Silicon Valley and other tech sectors don't hire black people. There is essentially nothing "we" can do to improve our standing in this country because we are locked out. We can quit the gangs (for those who like to mention black on black crime), we can get college degrees (and be in debt for generations), and be the most moralistic people in the country, it wouldn't do a thing because what one truly needs in order to live a stable life is capital. You need capital to have stable communities. The data shows black people have no capital to be in the American game, and we got here due to our history. Something must be done, or else we will never come up. Is America cool with a permanent black underclass?

When it comes to poor whites and white people in general, again, we have to look at the data. The same goes for black people. You might be white person and not have net worth, or know police and have social capital. Yet the data says the average white person has some or both. I might be a black person worth over a million dollars and all my siblings are judges and lawyers. Yet the data says the average black is worth nothing and they are in jail.

Old 07-20-2017, 10:49 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Paul Congemi's racistl diatribe wouldn't be the first.
-Don Young referring to Hispanic farm workers by a racial slur
-Joe Biden with his stupid remarks about then-Senator Obama regarding basically saying "you act White". A backhCarlanded compliment.
-Jake Knotts, Senator of South Carolina calling Nikki Haley an anti-Indian racial slur
-Frank Artiles, who went on a racial diatribe calling a lawyer the "N" word.
-Former Senator George Allen calling an Indian the Portuguese word for monkey
-Carl Paladino, former gubernatorial candidate of New York, making racist remarks about the Obama family, which included the word "gorilla".
-Paul LePage, governor of Maine with his racial diatribe to the tune of "White women, fear the Black man".

Old 07-20-2017, 10:58 AM

36,519 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Is Rome still holding anyone back today? Has Rome made anyone an underclass and keeping them there today? Black people can make a claim for capital and resources due to it's treatment in a country that exists today. A country that was largely built on it's back, and still is reaping the benefits of keeping us locked out.
So where is the proof that the descendants of slaves in the US have been held back compared to where they would be had their ancestors not been victims of the trans atlantic slave trade? Are black people in the US poorer, less successful and lower class than blacks from West Africa, Jamaica, Brazil? Do they have less educational and career opportunities?

America largely built on the backs of slaves? Southern plantation slaves built America? History tells us slavery was a southern thing utilized by the few wealthy plantation owners. History tells us the south was not the economic mecca of the country and that it was the north that controlled the industry, military and wealth of the country so how is it that the country was largely built on the back of slavery?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:06 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Yes to this and your previous comment. I'm not necessarily concerned with the reparations part, it's the fact that people like him would rather turn a blind eye to the problems minorities (specifically Black Americans) face in this country and make asinine statements like go back to somewhere you or your family have no ties to for generations instead of dealing with the problem.

Then like you said they wonder why AA's tend to vote a certain way, all the while they spew some of the most ridiculous and hateful rhetoric.
Well, based on the fact that he would make comments like "go back to Africa" he doesn't care. That was a foregone conclusion. I have to wonder if that is what Congemi really wants.

The subject of who Black people vote for is a big one on the CD forums. I looked up alot of racial comments said by politicians. With the exception of Joe Biden, most of them have been Republicans. I'm seeing a pattern.

Am I saying all Republicans are racist? No, I am not saying that. I'm saying that I see a pattern. A majority of bigoted comments that I've seen politicians make are often by Republicans. At this point, it is not a matter of "why do blacks vote a certain way". It is a matter of "Why are so many of these stupid comments coming from Republicans"? That is a question that needs to be asked. if you want Blacks to vote Republican, purge the idiots from the party.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:07 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,925,642 times
average household income by ancestry/ethnicity

Indian American: $110,547
Jewish American: $97,500
Taiwanese American: $85,566
Filipino American: $82,389
Australian American: $81,452
Israeli American: $79,736
European American: $77,440
Russian American: $77,349
Greek American: $77,342
Lebanese American: $74,757
Croatian American: $73,196
Latvian American: $72,690
Lithuanian American: $72,605
Austrian American: $72,478
Iranian American: $72,345
Slovene American: $72,272
Swiss American: $71,418
Bulgarian American: $71,331
Romanian American: $71,230
Scandinavian American: $71,190
Italian American: $70,726
Japanese American: $70,261
British American: $70,037
Chinese American: $69,586
(including Taiwanese American)
Serbian American: $69,372
Belgian American: $69,342
Scottish American: $69,269
Welsh American: $68,874
Polish American: $68,843
Chinese American: $68,672
(excluding Taiwanese American)
Slovak American: $68,611
Danish American: $68,558
Czechslovakian American: $67,991
Swedish American: $67,908
Norwegian American: $67,403
Syrian American: $66,965
Czech American: $66,856
Hungarian American: $66,483
Ukrainian American: $66,430
Finnish American: $66,063
German American: $65,570
English American: $65,436
Palestinian American: $65,345
French Canadian American*: $64,883
Portuguese American: $64,525
Irish American: $64,322
Albanian American: $63,649
Canadian American: $63,443
Slavic American: $62,866
Pakistani American: $62,848
Nigerian American: $62,086
Scotch-Irish American: $62,055
Indonesian American: $61,943
Dutch American: $61,508
Egyptian American: $61,344
French American: $61,262
Turkish American: $61,187
Armenian American: $60,561
Ghanaian American: $59,545
Vietnamese American: $59,405
Yugoslavian American: $58,668
Korean American: $58,573
Guyanese American: $58,168
British West Indian American*: $56,865
Brazilian American: $56,200
Barbadian American: $56,078
Arab American: $55,117
Laotian American: $53,655
Thai American: $53,468
Cambodian American: $53,359
West Indian American: $53,310
Cajun American: $52,886
Trinidadian and Tobagonian American: $55,303
Assyrian/Chaldean/Syriac American: $51,921
American: $51,122
Pennsylvania Dutch American: $51,061
Jamaican American: $50,935
Cape Verdean American: $48,408
Hmong American: $48,149
Haitian American: $47,751
Jordanian American: $46,855
Moroccan American: $45,128
Nepali American: $44,677
Bangladeshi American: $44,512
Afghan American: $43,838
Subsaharan African: $43,682
Bahamian American: $42,000
Ethiopian American: $41,736
African: $40,931
Arab/Arabic: $39,395
Burmese American: $35,016
Iraqi American: $32,594
Somali American: $22,368

Native American average household income
Chickasaw: $49,663
Choctaw: $47,783
Alaska Natives: $47,401
Creek: $41,897
Iroquois: $40,471
Cherokee: $37,730
Blackfeet: $37,033
Chippewa: $34,463
Lumbee: $33,863
Navajo: $31,057
Sioux: $29,079
Apache: $28,745

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...usehold_income
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._capita_income

Old 07-20-2017, 11:09 AM

19,837 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Most loans black people take are for paying some kind of bill, whether medical, school, or other. Loan companies know all of this, yet they give us higher interest rates than other groups of people. The reason why they are predatory is because they know we don't have the money. They know we are a vulnerable group due to our history, and it's not like we have other choices. (Again we have no money)

As for schooling and getting an education in fields where there are job opportunity, it still doesn't benefit the black community. Black people who get degrees in S.T.E.M, are still unemployed at high rates compared to everyone else. Silicon Valley and other tech sectors don't hire black people. There is essentially nothing "we" can do to improve our standing in this country because we are locked out. We can quit the gangs (for those who like to mention black on black crime), we can get college degrees (and be in debt for generations), and be the most moralistic people in the country, it wouldn't do a thing because what one truly needs in order to live a stable life is capital. You need capital to have stable communities. The data shows black people have no capital to be in the American game, and we got here due to our history. Something must be done, or else we will never come up. Is America cool with a permanent black underclass?

When it comes to poor whites and white people in general, again, we have to look at the data. The same goes for black people. You might be white person and not have net worth, or know police and have social capital. Yet the data says the average white person has some or both. I might be a black person worth over a million dollars and all my siblings are judges and lawyers. Yet the data says the average black is worth nothing and they are in jail.
The average black is in jail? You keep going on about data yet do not post links to support these claims.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM

173 posts, read 258,094 times
Quote:
Most loans black people take are for paying some kind of bill, whether medical, school, or other.
Water wet, news at 11.

Quote:
Loan companies know all of this, yet they give us higher interest rates than other groups of people. The reason why they are predatory is because they know we don't have the money. They know we are a vulnerable group due to our history, and it's not like we have other choices. (Again we have no money)
... What?

Quote:
...What?

Quote:
You need to start sharing some sources; your narrative reads sensationalist. I am not going to say blacks aren't framed negatively or discriminated against but you are implying there is some sort of law forcing people to be racist.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:12 AM

6,732 posts, read 5,172,048 times
Go back to Africa? You mean, the birthplace of the human race?

Bigots are stupid people, water is wet, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies