Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:26 AM

24,514 posts, read 17,265,170 times

Advertisements

My wife and I had dinner with friends last night and even though we said we would not talk politics in the end we did. My wife and I are not Trumpers 100% but we did not like Hillary one bit.
Our friends Love Hillary and Hate Trump.
We had a good debate and of course the Russian thing came along.

Our friends think that there was no doubt that Russia influenced our election. I kept asking how and they talked in circles but what finally came out was that they believed Russia hacked Hillary's secret server and the DNC server where they stole personal Emails and they leaked them to the likes of Wikileaks.

Ok but what did they say and what did they do with them?

They said that it was the constant trickle of negative wikileaks that eroded support for Hillary and turned people to Trump.
I think many people saw Hillary for what she was. There is no doubt that she was very qualified to be President but she was also crooked and I didn't need a Russian prompting via Wikileaks to know that and I don't think others did either.

I think it is possible that Russia hacked the servers but giving that info to Wikileaks and others to undermine Hillary and the affects that had on her losing is a drop in the big bucket of reasons why she lost.

They also think that voting machines were hacked but it was the anti Hillary trickle campaign of lies that finished her.

Our friends had good points, I hope we are still friends... but I still think that most people who voted for Trump had already figured out Hillary without any prompting from anyone let alone Russia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,117,381 times
I did not like Hillary, and I am a liberal. I only voted for her because she was much more qualified than Donald Trump.

She lost, and I'm over it.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:28 AM

51,655 posts, read 25,862,909 times
You may want to widen your circle of friends.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:30 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,651,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
My wife and I had dinner with friends last night and even though we said we would not talk politics in the end we did. My wife and I are not Trumpers 100% but we did not like Hillary one bit.

Our friends think that there was no doubt that Russia influenced our election. I kept asking how and they talked in circles but what finally came out was that they believed Russia hacked Hillary's secret server and the DNC server where they stole personal Emails and they leaked them to the likes of Wikileaks.

They said that it was the constant trickle of negative wikileaks that eroded support for Hillary and turned people to Trump.
I think many people saw Hillary for what she was. There is no doubt that she was very qualified to be President but she was also crooked and I didn't need a Russian prompting via Wikileaks to know that and I don't think others did either.

I think it is possible that Russia hacked the servers but giving that info to Wikileaks and others to undermine Hillary and the affects that had on her losing is a drop in the big bucket of reasons why she lost.

They also think that voting machines were hacked but it was the anti Hillary trickle campaign of lies that finished her.

Our friends had good points, I hope we are still friends... but I still think that most people who voted for Trump had already figured out Hillary without any prompting from anyone let alone Russia.
Your thought process is pretty much on par with mine. Did they think you supported Trump too because you're anti-Hilary? It's like some people can't see in the middle and are either left or right, but no in between.

Hillary didn't lose cause of Russia, Hillary lost cause of Hillary and she just was terrible.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:33 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,330,017 times
I voted for Hillary even though I don't like her. I thought she was better qualified than Trump.

I do think Russia attempted to influence the election, but we'll never know to what extent. Honestly, I think the crap fake news that came out about Hillary and other dems influenced a lot of people - even if they don't realize it.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:48 AM

17,442 posts, read 9,281,227 times
Quote:

First - it's never wise to discuss Politics with Friends/Family when you KNOW it will be controversial. It almost never comes up for us, but when it does I'm willing to prevaricate and suggest that I just don't pay much attention to Politics and that since it's OVER, just don't have much interest. I then change the subject.

I actually only know of 4-5 people that I'm sure voted for Hillary - all women, all family members. Since I've never discussed Politics with any of them - it's easy to deflect if the conversation drifts into a controversial area.
The one thing that is certain is what you found out - they are SURE of something, but can't really defend it and have "no doubt". There is zero gain to converse with somebody who has "no doubt" because their mind is closed.

For instance - they think "voting machines were hacked", when absolutely nobody says that's possible. They aren't connected to the internet and there was no way for those RUSSIA-RUSSIA-RUSSIA to get to them. As for the Wiki-Leaks -- they certainly did hurt the Clinton campaign - BUT they hurt the Clinton Campaign because they revealed TRUE information directly from the Clinton Campaign. Julian Assange controls Wiki-Leaks and has for years. He is not a Russian and to my knowledge - his information is always correct - even the Clinton Campaign acknowledged that the Wiki-Leaks were true, that's why people got fired or resigned.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:56 AM

14,959 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:

Hopefully you and your friends remained friends despite the political differences, you'd probably know if they weren't!. I did vote for Trump ( I never have liked Hillary and the thought of her as president literally nauseated me), but think your friends may have a valid point in the Wikileaks "drip drip drip" of those emails that kept in the forefront of the public's mind the ruthlessness of the DNC Hillary for president machine.

It's hard to tell if it was the Russians that hacked the DNC servers, released those emails to Wikileaks. If the DNC had allowed the FBI access to their servers when they learned of the hacking, it might be known who did the "dastardly" deed. Whoever did it, I agree the contents of those emails were not a surprise, or breaking news, but supported and provided documentation to what many of us already knew, or at least suspected, about the nature of the Bill'nHillary machine in their long history of climbing to the top, no matter how many heads they had to step on and crush to get there.

I've also got a couple of good friends who are long time Hillary supporters ( almost to the point of worship, seems to me), and we've had discussions on her political ambitions over the years- we've had to agree to disagree about this, every time. I can't for the life of me understand their perspective on this, and they feel likewise about mine.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:04 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,974,031 times
I've never been friends with a republican. I'm typically drawn to decent, caring people.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:06 AM

14,959 posts, read 12,173,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I've never been friends with a republican. I'm typically drawn to decent, caring people.
Well, that's your loss.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,358,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Voluntaryists?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies