Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 PM

33,747 posts, read 16,732,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You are idealizing human beings. A huge portion of humanity is already unproductive and lazy. Removing the need for being employed would make them worse. There are large swaths of cities where unemployment is widespread and these areas aren't bustling with innovation. These areas tend to be dilapidated and unkempt. There are all these people who aren't even working now and they have plenty of free time to get things done, yet they don't. These areas are filled with drugs, crime, and social dysfunction. Only in a fantasy world would basic income male these people more productive.
Sadly accurate post. I commute via a train station where many beg who have not, no doubt, ever thought about working in their lives.

Old 07-20-2017, 07:58 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,243,976 times
^ I'm pessimistic. I think true inconsequentiality would be more like the world of Dredd / 2000 AD. Literacy would become optional.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:00 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,774,312 times
I wonder if Trump will replace greenkeepers who just sit on riding lawnmowers.

That should be easy to automate.

Raking the sandtraps would be pretty tough to automate.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:01 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,571,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
So who'll pay taxes...

BTW...Not to be paranoid but I can not for the life of my see the good in robots and especially AI. At the rate we're going it won't be long and the elite will no longer need the masses. What then? My answer ain't pretty for humankind.

Tech may replace half of all low-skilled jobs in the U.S. - CBS News
This has already happened. Need I mention Detroit? Flint? Many other places where automation and outsourcing has done away with the economy....and replaced by nothing?

Obviously there are too many jobs...even now...because Trump just let in 15,000 more immigrants to do jobs he says Americans aren't applying to do.

Most of what you are discussing has already happened. As far as the "missing taxes" - it's as if you are forgetting the 20 Trillion Dollar Debt. That number is taxes that should have been paid - but are not.

But - don't worry. As we speak the GOP and Trump are trying to cut taxes even more so we can add to that debt. Why worry about later when we can have money NOW?

Old 07-20-2017, 08:03 PM

2,953 posts, read 981,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
I think you're underestimating how much people don't like boredom. Why do you think we put children in time out. There's no real lesson there. If you steal a cookie from the cookie jar, righting the wrong would involve replacing the cookie, not losing your gameboy (or iPad since it's not 1995 anymore). Suddenly, a child without his computer or tv privileges is bored, and they either find a way to fill their time productively (reading a book, for example) or suffer through the boredom with the knowledge that stealing a cookie will force them to endure said boredom again.

The adult version of that same thing is called prison, by the way.

Presumably, UBI would only cover the most necessary of things. That's very little, actually. An example, my two favorite beverages, coffee and beer, would almost certainly not be considered basic needs. I'd then have to do something extra in order to have those simple pleasures.

The idea that there would be people who could suffer through such boredom for very long is absurd to me. People would find themselves being productive. And actually productive. Most studies done on productivity find that the many overworked and extremely stressed Americans would actually be more productive if they worked fewer hours and had more generous break time. With that in mind, surely a UBI system would still be an improvement in productivity to what we have now.
It would offend me to the core to be taken care of. I won't bore anyone with why. Some people will totally get it and others won't.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:05 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,243,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
That number is taxes that should have been paid...
A lot of that number is spending that should never have happened. And yes, that includes a whole lot of corporate welfare and military / war spending.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:08 PM

18,527 posts, read 10,465,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
People in low skilled jobs aren't paying taxes.

LOL, BS.Do some research.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:10 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,571,701 times
Quote:
You are idealizing human beings. A huge portion of humanity is already unproductive and lazy
I am somewhat interested in what you or others call "productive"?

Is, for instance, a copy machine salesperson (when there are already more than enough) productive? How about 100 Relators in an office that needs only 20? Were the millions who sold, appraised and wrote mortgages to help create the 2008 crisis "productive"?

How about day traders? Are they productive?

How about a hard working (illegal) pot dealer? Productive?

Is a homeless guy who spends his day getting bottles and cans from trash cans for recycling money "productive"?

How about a guy like me who sits back and collects stock dividends? Am I productive?

I'm not trying to be funny here - just trying to illustrate that - IMHO - only a VERY small percentage of people who have jobs and "make money" are "productive" in a sense that improves the world and society.

A good first measurement is "if they disappeared, would things change for the better?".....

In that case, I'd put the homeless guy WAY above the copy machine sales guy. I'd put 50% or more of the day traders or wall street types lower than the pot dealer (as long as said dealer sells fair...

Some guy long ago....said "judge not".

IMHO, another measurement is whether or not the "productive" person works in A/C all the time. This may be excusable for a real pro (doctor, lawyer), but someone who uses vast quantities of energy to drive to and from work and then to stay cool and then to....try to sell stuff that 10,000 other people already sell (and you can do without or buy online, etc.).......that's not productive to me.

High standard...I know!

Old 07-20-2017, 08:11 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,638,217 times
Quote:
You are idealizing human beings. A huge portion of humanity is already unproductive and lazy. Removing the need for being employed would make them worse. There are large swaths of cities where unemployment is widespread and these areas aren't bustling with innovation. These areas tend to be dilapidated and unkempt. There are all these people who aren't even working now and they have plenty of free time to get things done, yet they don't. These areas are filled with drugs, crime, and social dysfunction. Only in a fantasy world would basic income male these people more productive.
You are idealizing the Devil.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,261,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, BS.Do some research.
Some aren't, the others are a drop in the bucket. And they leech off the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies