Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 12:18 PM

7,342 posts, read 3,514,319 times

Advertisements

All these terms are just ways to dehumanize people who might have a different opinion or slightly different take on something. Don't you know that the only true path to tolerance and acceptance is to be in lockstep with the DNC political talking points?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 02:51 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Isn't alt-Center the same thing as Center? You don't need disinformation to remain a centrist. You just need a certain tolerance to uncertainty and a willingness to consider both sides.
I think so. We just need some actual centrist candidates to vote for. Few on either side want illegal immigration or kids being taught in Spanish in elementary school when they should be learning English. College tuitions are way too high and a lot of it is probably due to having so many highly paid administrators. We had affirmative action and it did some good. Now all it does is create resentment by people who don't gain from it. I read the article in the first post and those are some of the ideas. I agree with most of them and I'd like a centrist party. Call it whatever you want, but most of the Dems are too far left and most of the Repubs are too far right. We in the middle are left out and have no one to vote for--and with a bit of compromise, we would become the majority.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:32 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The irony is that that's exactly what the Trump coalition was.
Initially in 2016 but by 2020 Trump became closer to conservatism.

Old 05-19-2021, 06:38 PM

321 posts, read 128,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I'd rather see a patriotic movement and throw all those labels in the garbage.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:40 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
Populist is the more common name for the alt center. Populism pops up in cycles as both parties drift away from the majority towards the heavy donors.

Old 06-01-2021, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
Populist is the more common name for the alt center. Populism pops up in cycles as both parties drift away from the majority towards the heavy donors.
There is a demographic of populist centrism that lacks a voice or organization (ex. Obama to Trump voters and Bernie to Trump voters). The problem with existing populist movements is that they have to rely upon aligning with conservatives and liberals. Thus Trumpian Rightwing populism got co-opted by conservatives and Bernie's initial leftwing populism by woke liberalism.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:41 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
There is a demographic of populist centrism that lacks a voice or organization (ex. Obama to Trump voters and Bernie to Trump voters). The problem with existing populist movements is that they have to rely upon aligning with conservatives and liberals. Thus Trumpian Rightwing populism got co-opted by conservatives and Bernie's initial leftwing populism by woke liberalism.
Bernie's left wing views didn't get affected by "woke" liberalism. Moderate liberals thought he was too far left from the beginning. I'm not sure most people want populism though as it tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, not the ordinary people.

Old 06-01-2021, 12:07 PM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
I've called myself a radical centrist now for over a decade.

Old 08-05-2021, 10:48 AM

The Alt-Center Revisited:

https://robertstark.substack.com/p/t...nter-revisited

Old 08-05-2021, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Bernie's left wing views didn't get affected by "woke" liberalism. Moderate liberals thought he was too far left from the beginning. I'm not sure most people want populism though as it tends to cater to the lowest common denominator, not the ordinary people.
Bernie Sanders focused more on identity politics in 2020 compared to 2016 and was very tepid in his challenges towards Biden. There is no serious leftwing populist movement to succeed him as the Squad types are a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies