Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 11:31 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want to live in Texass.
Stay up north with the rest of the common ill mannered, yankees.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:43 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post

Two reasons you come here:

1. Family

2. Job

It's always been that way.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:48 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,583,738 times
Californians move to Texas. Grass is greener syndrome is why people generally move but they bring their problems with them. So expect Texas to circle the drain like Cali is now when enough of them move there.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:18 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Michigan isn't a dying state. There are still lots of good jobs in Michigan, and Michigan jobs typically pay well and have great benefits....not to mention Michigan's great cost of living and the central location of the state.

And if you're into outdoor activities, Texas doesn't come close although they THINK they do. Go fishing in Texas, then go fishing in Michigan. Forget about it.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:02 AM

1,158 posts, read 961,459 times
Millions of people have moved to Texas in the last decade driving up the cost of housing, property taxes, clogging the roads, schools etc. It's not particularly scenic in Texas and hot as hell in the summer.

When I can retire that's I'm going to do. Sell my house and move to a state with lower property taxes/insurance that is more scenic and pay cash for my new house.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:18 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,529,770 times
There' really only a few things I dislike about the great state of Texas; the politics, the traffic, property taxes, and the fact that quality seafood is non-existent. Otherwise it's perfect for me. Love the heat, the wide open space, authentic Texan musicians and the people here are the best. But I don't encourage others to come here, this state gets more crowded every day. Michigan is a beautiful state but too damn cold for me.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Suggestion for the OP: Why not post your question to the Detroit and/or Austin forums and see if you can get an explanation for the trend? They're more likely to know what's drawing people to Michigan than the typical poster to the general politics forum.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:33 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
First of all, like others have mentioned, Michigan is not a dying state. Where do you think the company of your "fordtrucks" is headquartered?

I also suspect that a fair number of Michiganders moved to Texas about 7-10 years ago when the former was bleeding jobs and the latter was the promised land. That simply isn't true anymore, and a lot of them are coming home.

You should come visit Michigan sometime. It's a beautiful, lively state with so many different things to do.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:21 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,843,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texas apparently is not as great as Texans want the world to believe. They are the second largest contributor to Washington State growth too. Why red staters like Texans would want to move to liberal Washington is beyond me, I don't even like to see their license plates on the road, but anyone that has been to Texas knows it's mostly hot and brown. It also has the highest number of residents without health insurance and as red as it is, that's not likely to change.

Why Texas is the worst state for health insurance in the country

https://news.vice.com/article/why-te...in-the-country

Michigan is a beautiful state, especially the upper peninsula.
Meh. One's interpretation of "liberal Washington" is subjective. As someone born and raised in Canada of European parents, I don't consider Washington particularly liberal. In fact, I'll bet many Canadians would consider parts of Washington downright redneck. Plenty of Washingtonians voted for Trump, for example.

Michigan IS a beautiful state (lived there for 14 years), but many parts of it are VERY red, as well. Trump won the state last November. Plenty of Minnesotans, Oregonians, Ohioans, New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, and Massachusettsans voted for him, too.

So much for the true, blue, "liberal" north. Everything's relative.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 07-22-2017 at 08:31 AM..

Old 07-22-2017, 08:31 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
I'll say it again. You need to know the ethnicity of the migrants to understand what is going on. These are not whites who are fed up with Texas politics. The people who are migrating from Texas to Michigan (or anywhere else for that matter) are immigrants and the second and even third generation from Latin America looking for jobs in those states. All the howling from the upper midwest in the last election over illegals reflects this population trend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies