Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,126 times

Advertisements

Anyone who states that Michigan is a dying state is misinformed. The state has done a remarkable job in turning itself around and is headed down a good stable path. I believe that when a person makes such a blanket inflammatory statement about a place which he/she has no connection, it is done to make him/her feel that his/her life is more meaningful as he/she is not part of a different reality which exists elsewhere. Trust me, people at the sand dunes, beaches, and at all the other resort towns right now are not in a dying place, but rather in a lively picturesque setting.

Second, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Kalamazoo, Traverse City, and Marquette are dynamic cities, and growing in population. Lansing is stable. Metropolitan Detroit (the northwest suburbs) look like the English Countryside with gorgeous lakes and gentle hills. Downtown Detroit is being redeveloped. The state has 3100 miles of lakefront with beautiful "destination" towns dotting the lakes. I'm unsure why it would be difficult for someone to fathom why an individual or family might enjoy living with such a scenery. Regarding the weather, yes it is cold during the winters, with the brunt of it being from December to March. It's 4 months, not eternity. People completely ignore that there are seasons called Spring, Summer, and Fall.

Texas is a fine place with great cities. But Michigan is also a pleasant place. But at the end of the day, the culture, dialect, mindset, and feel in both states are very different. To each his own as to what area has a population base which you have more in common with.

People usually gravitate to where they can earn the best living. Many people left Michigan because of the economic downturn but would not have done so otherwise. Perhaps, these are Michiganders returning back to the land of two peninsulas because of economic opportunities now available.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucks View Post
Also from the story:

Although Texas is the No. 1 state sending people to Michigan, there are still more Michiganders moving to Texas. The net difference: Michigan lost 1,157 residents in moves to and from Texas in 2014-15.

Perhaps the fact that Texas has a larger population than any other state east of the rockies skews the numbers. Looking at the numbers they are just slightly ahead of Florida which is farther away and has 7 million less people.

4 thousand people out of 25 million is not that many.

Michigan is a little like Mexico. Cheap place to live but don't drink the water.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 PM

22,472 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
From the linked article, it looks like it's only about 4500 households that made the move from Texas to Michigan in 2014 and 2015 - that's just a small amount.

And it might simply be people in the auto industry chasing jobs. They build pickup trucks in Texas - lots of pickup trucks. I can see some people moving to Michigan to climb up the management ladder at Ford or GM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
I have no idea why anyone would want to move there.
I do know someone who, back in the late 80s, moved to Michigan to take a top level job with an automaker. In fact, after he was with one company for a while, one of its competitors lured him away. They (his wife and kids) ended up settling down in MI and are still there.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:13 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Meh. One's interpretation of "liberal Washington" is subjective. As someone born and raised in Canada of European parents, I don't consider Washington particularly liberal. In fact, I'll bet many Canadians would consider parts of Washington downright redneck. Plenty of Washingtonians voted for Trump, for example.

Michigan IS a beautiful state (lived there for 14 years), but many parts of it are VERY red, as well. Trump won the state last November. Plenty of Minnesotans, Oregonians, Ohioans, New Yorkers, Pennsylvanians, and Massachusettsans voted for him, too.

So much for the true, blue, "liberal" north. Everything's relative.
Trump only received 8% of the Seattle vote and Washington hasn't had a Republican governor since the early 80s. I can't say why Texans would move to Michigan (or Washington for that matter) but both states are a lot more attractive the Texas is IMO.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Trump only received 8% of the Seattle vote and Washington hasn't had a Republican governor since the early 80s. I can't say why Texans would move to Michigan (or Washington for that matter) but both states are a lot more attractive the Texas is IMO.
Texas is a beautiful state. As is Washington State. I have lived in both places. The 9 months or so of dreary weather in Seattle is too much for me but I can understand why people like living there. You can't just look at places through the prism of politics.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
I don't believe it for one second. Maybe those reporting are playing with the numbers and stats, but I can't see that being reality. Are you really putting your trust in IRS data? LOL

If Texans are moving there in large numbers, then they've lost a few nuts and bolts in their craniums anyway, so no loss. That's less of a slap at MI, and more of a slap at those complaining.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I don't believe it for one second. Maybe those reporting are playing with the numbers and stats, but I can't see that being reality. If Texans are moving there, then they've lost a few nuts and bolts in their craniums anyway, so no loss.
Four thousand out of 25 million could be people helping a sick friend or relative or a corporate transfer. Not exactly a flood of people. For example the same year 65,000 Californians moved to Texas.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:37 PM

11,097 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
For example the same year 65,000 Californians moved to Texas.
Now that I might believe.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:55 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Cheap land. They are not moving to Dearborn....

Old 07-24-2017, 11:27 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texas apparently is not as great as Texans want the world to believe. They are the second largest contributor to Washington State growth too. Why red staters like Texans would want to move to liberal Washington is beyond me
1. Downhill skiing.

2. Eastern Washington isn't King County.

3. Just like Texas, Washington doesn't have a state income tax.

4. If one lives in Vancouver (WA), or nearby, one doesn't have to even completely cross the Columbia River to shop (see Hayden Island) to take advantage of Oregon being a 'no sales tax' state.

Quote:
I don't even like to see their license plates on the road
We know.

If possible, I'm sure you'd love to cut around the perimeter with a chainsaw and push Texas out into the Gulf of Mexico (), and also sever all other ties so no one in Washington state (but mainly you and yours) would ever be forced to share anything with Texas again.

Quote:
but anyone that has been to Texas knows it's mostly hot and brown.
Some people like to take advantage of particular seasons in particular places. Unless things have changed, CD member Stealth Rabbit has a place near the Columbia River in Washington state, but also spends part of his time at his place outside of San Antonio.

Quote:
It also has the highest number of residents without health insurance and as red as it is, that's not likely to change.

Why Texas is the worst state for health insurance in the country

https://news.vice.com/article/why-te...in-the-country
The title of the article is misleading. IMO, it is worded that way to catch the eye of someone who lives in Texas and HAS health insurance, but thinks the article might discuss some contractual or administrative snafu that they need to be aware of. In reality what is meant by 'worst state' is the percentage of people who are uninsured. You, and people who have a similar view, are going to care about that percentage. Those who disagree with you on this issue, and have insurance, don't see whatever that percentage is as a personal issue.

Quote:
Michigan is a beautiful state, especially the upper peninsula.
^^^^^ I agree....and would include Petoskey and Traverse City (both south of the UP) as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies