Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yep, unfortunately. It's a rough cycle. Inner city ghettos, country trailer park culture...I've been around both, and it seems to be a similar story.
My father is from the ghetto. Granted, he comes from a two parent home, and both of his parents wanted him to succeed. They were also home owners. His father told him "get your education, don't do what I do for a living". To give you a proper reference, my father is a born and raised northerner, Milwaukee native. His parents were part of that 2nd wave of the Great Migration. They left the South. My grandfather was a factory worker. My father heeded that advice. Having a family kept him from a fate than many in the ghetto went to.

I know about the ghetto element. However, I know even more about the trailer park element. I grew up around students who lived in the trailer parks. The subdivision my father bought his house in, you can find trailer parks 2 miles away. Drugs, bums, and crazy behavior.

Before I close this post out, I will say this. There is little difference between redneck culture and ghetto culture. Same tenets: Violence, sexual depravity, that "you disrespect me you die" attitude, the feeling of having to show off in the most ridiculous ways, drug use, a very strong disdain for education and generally having an anti-intellectual mindset. I've dealt with individuals who had both cultures. Got jumped in a classroom by some redneck types. I've been assaulted by those who had the ghetto culture in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 01:56 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
Kids would have been at home in the SS. No doubt they are headed for a lifetime full of prison time, as psychos usually fall into.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:01 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times
The kids are savages. Just as the Genovese neighbors were.

100% sub-human.

I have no doubt these kids are headed for a life of crime and jail time.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:12 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Teenagers Recorded a Drowning Man and Laughed

Is this kind of thing, and for that matter watching the Kitty Genovese slaying and doing nothing, as many New Yorkers apparently did, the sign of a societal sickness, or something else? When I took psychology in college in Fall 1975 the "diffusion of responsibility" or the thought that others were doing something was to blame. In this case, since the teens were alone at the scene, diffusion was not possible.

When you see an incident like this the question is "why".

I posted this in POC in order to allow robust discussion.
Doesn't take Psych 101 to recognize a depraved evil heart.

Old 07-22-2017, 02:32 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
There is something going on in group dynamics other than callous kids.

Why would 20 adults watch an old man collapse and do nothing until another person jumped in?

Why would 8 adults sitting in a room filling with smoke sit there and do nothing?

Why would half the posters here say the boys had no duty morally or legally to do something?

There's something happening but we don't know what it is, do we Mr. Jones.

But this is different. They were not just scared people who did not react because they did not want to get involved. They were not individuals who appeared to be willing to help if someone else started. No these were young men who were clearly enjoying this tragedy. That was clear by their laughter and comments and then the act of posting it online. Later several showed zero remorse.

Who does that? As someone said early these are the actions and feelings of a sociopath.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:07 PM

16,278 posts, read 10,414,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Witnessing what these teens saw would keep most of us up at night. That is a normal reaction. Laughing at someone as he is dying is the behavior of sociopaths. Your statement is quite telling.
Yes as I said early I remain disgusted with some of the comments in this thread. You would think a story like that would result in a universal opinion. I mean how can you NOT be appalled by what you saw and heard. But for some here they appear to have no soul.

Old 07-22-2017, 03:17 PM

19,841 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Good lord! How in hell can we enforce this?

All the good citizens who have witnessed crimes and accidents but failed to report must now turn themselves in!
Failure to report a dead body. I have never witnessed someone die, nor found a dead body. Have you?

Old 07-22-2017, 03:28 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Good lord! How in hell can we enforce this?

All the good citizens who have witnessed crimes and accidents but failed to report must now turn themselves in!
Actually, come to think of it, you're right.

A law like this wouldn't stop PsOS from being PsOS.

All it would do is prevent them from filming it. They won't help regardless. They'll mock him all the same, just off camera.

One day, if morons like these film and post to YouTube a violent crime, it'll be that much easier to see what happened and who did it. Or if they participated in it somehow as well.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:18 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My father is from the ghetto. Granted, he comes from a two parent home, and both of his parents wanted him to succeed. They were also home owners. His father told him "get your education, don't do what I do for a living". To give you a proper reference, my father is a born and raised northerner, Milwaukee native. His parents were part of that 2nd wave of the Great Migration. They left the South. My grandfather was a factory worker. My father heeded that advice. Having a family kept him from a fate than many in the ghetto went to.

I know about the ghetto element. However, I know even more about the trailer park element. I grew up around students who lived in the trailer parks. The subdivision my father bought his house in, you can find trailer parks 2 miles away. Drugs, bums, and crazy behavior.

Before I close this post out, I will say this. There is little difference between redneck culture and ghetto culture. Same tenets: Violence, sexual depravity, that "you disrespect me you die" attitude, the feeling of having to show off in the most ridiculous ways, drug use, a very strong disdain for education and generally having an anti-intellectual mindset. I've dealt with individuals who had both cultures. Got jumped in a classroom by some redneck types. I've been assaulted by those who had the ghetto culture in them.
Common denominator is poverty and hopelessness.

Old 07-22-2017, 04:29 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Failure to report a dead body. I have never witnessed someone die, nor found a dead body. Have you?
I haven't, but if I had I would damn sure report it. I'm the type of person that offers to be a witness for an auto accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies