Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:29 PM

19,748 posts, read 11,990,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
What duty did they have to report it? They didn't cause the man to drown or have any direct involvement in the actions that led to his death. The teens were merely in the wrong place at the wrong time. Your position requires a belief that all citizens have a duty to provide services to any other person in an emergency situation without their consent, absent any compensation and with a lack of indemnification from potential liability. If I see someone driving the wrong way on a freeway, do you think that I have a duty to save them from potential harm and should be subject to criminal penalties if I don't?
Failure to report a death is a misdemeanor in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 05:33 PM

21,399 posts, read 10,469,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
So don't even make the call and try? Stand there and laugh at him as he is drowning instead?

No, I'm sorry, but there is no excusing this complete lack of empathy for a fellow human being. These kids are horrible people. I don't think there is any getting around that.
Totally agree. I'm shocked so many are actually somewhat defending this. This makes me angry how kids are today. It's like they walk through life observing, but not taking part. Is it the smart phone phenomenon? Their first reaction was to film it and later post on social media, with no thought at all to call 911 or even report they had seen a man drowning. No one even knew until they found his body a few days later and someone remembered the video posted on social media. They probably thought it was a joke until they found out it was actually real.

There was a guy in Houston a couple of years ago getting beat with a bat and onlookers just filmed it and didn't try to stop it. A middle aged woman finally came along and stopped the beating. This is a sickness, and it's only getting worse.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
More have actually risked their lives to save people from drowning....This story is a bit to close for me, as I watched my father drown when I was eleven...He couldn't swim, but that didn't stop him from trying to save my friend who had fallen into the river.....I can't imagine how anyone could sit by and do nothing....That is inexcusable.
That's awful! I'm sorry to hear about your dad.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
These are my thoughts as well. That's the rational approach. Emotions like anger and sadness can make you feel like they should be punished by law, but it's important to not let emotion replace thought. They were ultimately not at fault for his death. If they had put him in that situation or prevented a rescue, yes, but that isn't the case.

Now social punishment is a different story... I hope people make their lives miserable for it. That's how you deal with the situation - social pressure and ostracism, not law.
They didn't even later report that a man had drowned. The family didn't know where he was for several days. They at least had a duty to report it if nothing else.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:47 PM

5,297 posts, read 2,336,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Why do some have no empathy? I don't know.
It's abusive or neglectful parenting. It's been a year or two since I watched/read anything on the topic, but I remember the evidence being pretty overwhelming. Outside of very rare mental illness or brain injury, it's due to their environment as toddlers and young children.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:49 PM

Quote:
It's abusive or neglectful parenting. It's been a year or two since I watched/read anything on the topic, but I remember the evidence being pretty overwhelming. Outside of very rare mental illness or brain injury, it's due to their environment as toddlers and young children.
Detachment disorder

Old 07-21-2017, 05:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 2,336,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
They didn't even later report that a man had drowned. The family didn't know where he was for several days. They at least had a duty to report it if nothing else.
I'd say they SHOULD report it if they're decent human beings, and there should be major social consequences for them if they don't, but not obligated by law for reasons I mentioned earlier.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM

39,008 posts, read 27,392,311 times
Quote:
yep makes sense.

Old 07-21-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'd say they SHOULD report it if they're decent human beings, and there should be major social consequences for them if they don't, but not obligated by law for reasons I mentioned earlier.
I never said they should be obligated by law to save him, but to report it? I'd definitely say yes it should be a law. They had a cell phone in their hand but apparently forgot it has a use besides recording.

And if the reason was because they didn't want to get caught smoking weed, they could at least have made an anonymous phone call later to report it. They thought about it enough later to post the video.

Old 07-21-2017, 06:00 PM

5,772 posts, read 5,068,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why should there be any criminal charge? Only you are responsible for your own safety.
Just keep that in mind when you need help in your life. Don't blame others for giving you a taste of your own medicine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies