Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,802,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Agreed. This isn't about where anyone may lie on the political spectrum. The Sandwash Sandanistas that dry gulch our cattle and sabotage ranching operations around here we don't view from a point of party or spectrum associations. They are just criminals and terrorists. Idiocy is a non partisan affliction. Stunts like this are just so totally boneheaded I can't bring myself to even remotely validate them with politics .

About maybe four years back a friend of mine who runs cattle on open range went to gather a few head at a line station he had built on BLM graze and when he and the ha ds got there they found the cabin and round up torched, on with the equipment stored in a conex and some 35 head shot dead. Literally riddled with bullets. 7.62x39 cases over the place. The FBI came in as did the BLM investigators. They caught up with the perps too. A fringe enviro wacko group out of the Bay Area. They used SKS rifles to shoot the cattle. All in the name of environmental activism. Cate destroy the environment ya know.

The stunt at issue here is no less idiotic, and neither were motivated by partisan politics. More like plain insanity a d idiocy in a perfectly balanced mixture. Yep. I figure enough of the critters will survive to create a new feral animal problem. So trappers will be called in to thin them out. They won't eradicate them though. Mink have a reproduction rate up there with rabbits. It's a historic scientific fact that anytime a new non native species is introduced by man for whatever reason it backfires and blows up. Every time. Rabbits, cane toads, pythons, coyotes, Dingos, Asian carp and Snakeheads, on and on the list goes.

You would think that people in animal activism would have some knowledge of basic animal biology and would know just what damage invasive species have caused. If they had pulled a stunt like this in Hawaii the locals would lynch them. They take invasive species seriously. As should we all.
Good post, NV.

What that crazy "environmental" group did to your friend's cattle and property is just horrible. Despicable. What a bunch of abusive thugs! Yes, there are idiots galore on both sides of the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 12:39 PM

18,132 posts, read 15,544,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hand raised high.
Count me in. And all my horse tack is leather as well. I don't ride synthetics. My saddles , bridles and halters are leather and my saddle blankets are wool. Synthetic saddles suck. They don't have that nice creak, they don't hold up a d they sweat up and stain to easy. I ride a McClellan mostly. Don't use my Western rig much these day so I gave it to my son. He has my cavalry bridle and noseband to. He rides for a big outfit East of Fallon at roundup time so he a tally needs the stuff.

Love my leather. My boots are custom, wax flesh leather. Good leather gear comes dear. But there's nothing like it. Same with wool. My great coat is wool a d I won't leave home without it if I'm taking off on horseback. My riding pants are wool to. A lot of cowhands I know are going back to wool pants. Old school is in. I've seen some leather and buckskin jackets decorated with fur and beadwork I would love to have. I'd wear something like that. I've no issues with fur.

Jackets like that are seriously spendy though.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:30 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,599,064 times
That sounds like some fine gear. I wear leather because scraping it along asphalt hurts me less then scraping my own hide. The only time I was comfortable on a horse was riding on a McClellan saddle. Western saddles just pain hurt.

These Eco-Terrorists give us thoughtful environmental scientists a bad name because the Terrs are both ignorant and thoughtless. During my career as an Environmental Scientist and bureaucrat I saw some really dangerous situations. Things like chrome based tanning waste stored in a sand banked pond on the top of a hill over a very clean trout stream/water supply. If the piled up dam holding this stuff had burst there would have been a flood of toxic waste.

I have no idea why a bunch of fools would want to "liberate 40,000 mink". These animals are not pets, they are livestock. IDIOTS.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:43 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,042,034 times
I'm an Easterner so I don't have a need for riding gear. But I appreciate fine leather products. Especially head wear. I have a soft spot for drivers caps (sometimes called "ivy league" caps). I have a collection of 40-50 drivers caps (I'm the Imelda Marcos of drivers caps) and most are made from leather or suede. Also, hats and caps are one item of apparel that has to have a "made in USA" tag on it or I won't wear it. My shoes? Made in China. Pants? Bangladesh. Shirt? Honduras. But if it goes on top of my head it has to say "made in USA".

Old 07-24-2017, 01:46 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,115,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Oh, RedZin, please don't encourage their tiresome tendencies to turn anything and everything into yet another left vs right battle in the Neverending American Cold Civil War. PLEASE!
I dunno, newdixiegirl. Some liberals are just as crazy as the far-right nutjobs.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:48 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,415,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You are being raise by your MASTERS, for the fruit of your labors. You just ain't caught on yet.
This has nothing to do with a mink farm but at least they aren't skinning me alive or heating me up for oil.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:13 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,802,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I dunno, newdixiegirl. Some liberals are just as crazy as the far-right nutjobs.

I never said they weren't - in fact, I've made it clear that I think there are just as many left-wing zealots as right-wing. But what does that have to do with this thread?

Old 07-24-2017, 05:00 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,687,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Of course not these ones....Where do you think 40,000 mink could be released and still find enough prey to keep them alive?
didn't read the story did you They don't know how to hunt.

Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM

33,501 posts, read 37,016,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
didn't read the story did you They don't know how to hunt.
And you know nothing about mink....Escaped or released farm mink (American Mink) are a big problem in the UK....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/eart...-wildlife.html

Old 07-24-2017, 06:41 PM

9,129 posts, read 5,769,933 times
People should wear Nutria.
They have beautiful fur and tasty, low fat, high protein meat.

And they are eating the Gulf Coast.
Save the wetlands...eat/wear Nutria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies