Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
A precursor for tracking me wherever I go? No thanks. Besides, what if the server or whatever, is attacked? What then? We're moving away from cash, so that won't be an option in a few decades (if that long). Use the RFID as a way to hack into someone's system.

Sometimes the strongest solution at all is to go as low tech as possible.
our cell phones already do that. How many people shudder at the thought of leaving home without a phone?
However having a cell phone isn't a problem in itself, its letting the state (and its cronies) use it against us, is where the problems start. And a cashless society will give it even more tools to use against us.
Low tech will work until they find ways to make it obsolete. Seen any pay phones lately?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I started out as a medical assistant in 1991. HIPAA was not on the books, so we could keep your medical chart away from you back then. It was also right about the time that employers were starting to scream about the rising costs of health insurance.This guy came in for a pre-employment drug test, and did the pee-pee in a cup thing, and maybe blood too. I remember how excited he was to be getting that job. It was a major corporation.

I didn't think much of it, until I got his results. Not only were they screening for the usual suspects such as marijuana, they also screened for statins (cholesterol lowering drugs ), various heart medications, anti-diabetes drugs, anti-athsma medications, and so on. I wasn't even allowed to tell the guy, or give him a copy of the results.

Some people will think that is okay, but it isn't.
Even worse? Genetic testing by your employer under the guise of "Wellness Programs". Penalty if you do not agree to letting them have your DNA?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:18 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Quote:
I started out as a medical assistant in 1991. HIPAA was not on the books, so we could keep your medical chart away from you back then. It was also right about the time that employers were starting to scream about the rising costs of health insurance.This guy came in for a pre-employment drug test, and did the pee-pee in a cup thing, and maybe blood too. I remember how excited he was to be getting that job. It was a major corporation.

I didn't think much of it, until I got his results. Not only were they screening for the usual suspects such as marijuana, they also screened for statins (cholesterol lowering drugs ), various heart medications, anti-diabetes drugs, anti-athsma medications, and so on. I wasn't even allowed to tell the guy, or give him a copy of the results.

Some people will think that is okay, but it isn't.
Geeze, I've never heard of this before, but I'm not surprised by it. If corporations were doing that in 1991, imagine what they're doing now.

Old 07-23-2017, 12:45 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I get it, he submitted his bodily fluids without asking any questions. He was in the wrong.
When someone wants a piece of you, ask why first.
What if he did ask, and was told that it was for illegal drugs only?

Old 07-23-2017, 12:58 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
Voluntary for now, Pedro. Let's keep it that way.
Like I said earlier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
As long as it's voluntary, I see it as being none of the government's business.

I'm good with states passing laws making mandatory chips against state law.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:35 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Why isn't it okay? He consented to the test and its conditions of his own free will.
I hate extortion.

Old 07-23-2017, 01:42 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,553,543 times
Quote:
Congress needs to get ahead of this one and forbid employers from requiring this.

This particular company is asking employees to volunteer, but you know someone will compel it in the future.
Sounds like you want big government to continue strangling freedom and entrepreneurship!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:10 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Eventually companies that want to do this to their employees, although pretending that it is voluntary, will find ways to sanction those who refuse. And crime will follow closely behind and find ways to hack the chips. It will become just one more big mess, in this computer-crazed society. And employers will also use them to track locations of workers, probably even when they're not on the job. Anyone who has been in jail or prison, may have to agree to be chipped, to get parole or early-release.

We should have known when they started doing this to dogs, that we'd be next in line. I hope that this company doesn't have enough money to buy off too many politicians, who would favor regulations to make it mandatory throughout society.
Yes, they will. As in ~ you don't have to do it but those that do will $1000 more per month. Dummies would line up for that and pretty soon ~ it's no longer 'voluntary".

Quote:
Because people can't say no on their own?
Yeah, they can. For now.

How long has it been since Nancy Reagan got us all peeing in a cup for employers? See any sign of that waning?

Bottom line - if you want a job - you're going to pee in a cup OR you're not going to find a job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Even worse? Genetic testing by your employer under the guise of "Wellness Programs". Penalty if you do not agree to letting them have your DNA?
Yes - we are well on our way to that!

Old 07-23-2017, 02:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
I wonder what the long term impact these things will have on one's health.

Old 07-23-2017, 02:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I wonder what the long term impact these things will have on one's health.
That's another concern. We regularly chip pet dogs, but they only live for 20 years at the most anyway, so we probably don't really know what could happen after 30+.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies