Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:40 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,625,222 times

Advertisements

Republicans are quite content with Faux news. Don't dare tell them the truth about their fearless leader. I've never seen as much crap as that that comes from the Republican news. If they are telling you what you want to hear, that's all that's important. Right? They are so content listening and agreeing to news that suits their mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:42 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forktrucks View Post
Do you know anything about what you're trying to claim?

Have you ever had a job where you needed to access a secure government network?
Your post reminded me of something that occurred decades ago in my computer career. I was a tech for a computer service comany. One of our clients was a military based that did weapons development. One day they sent me a portable teletype terminal with a built in modem that was broken. On the case of the terminal was taped the phone number, login, and password to the base network. Military intelligence at its finest.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:44 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Oh, goody, a list of names from a website that what, rehashes stuff from wikileaks, and appears to have as its sole reason for being to... list leaks from Wikileaks? Wonder why they aren't listing the WH leaks there? Yeah, unbiased source. Yay!

Old 07-22-2017, 05:45 PM

7,800 posts, read 4,398,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
What's sad is that you think Wikileaks is faking these emails and documents. They're real. If they weren't, don't you think the powers that be would have produced the real emails to prove they were altered? They didn't because they weren't. Think!
What is sad is that those e-mails were stolen to sway an election. Too many people were blind to the manipulation. The Russians tried the same tactic in France with Macron, but the French public were onto these Russian dirty tracts and were smart enough to ignore stolen emails and fake news. Take your own advice and start thinking.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:46 PM

30,153 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Actually, I think you're just blatantly misinformed, quite possibly by the right-wing media that you consume.

Obama got plenty of criticism, and so did Hillary. Don't even get me started on her and her emails; they were covered to death, rightfully so. Obama didn't like the press and got called out on a lot of stuff. You've just glossed it all over based on some feeling you have and not looking at the evidence. In fact, Obama was accused of being heavy-handed in his fighting the press as well, and in some cases he was.
Yes Obama complained about Fox News. There is no comparison in the way the press has treated Trump even before election day and how they treated Obama and HRC. I don't remember CNN giving the debate questions ahead of time to Trump. You can google and find a few mildly critical pieces about Obama over his 8 years in office but I would bet there are already many times more and stronger negative stories on Trump in the MSM and its only been a few months. They don't like how he attacks them and they don't his policies and they just don't like him. That taints their coverage of Trump and its quite obvious. If you don't see that then you are not really looking.

Bernie Goldberg who worked for years at CBS News was at a dinner party a little while after the 1968 elections. He was talking to a prominent NYT reporter and she commented to him that she had no idea how Nixon won the election, because she did not know anyone who voted for him. It is now 2017 and if anything the insulated liberal press is even more out of touch.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
The first thing to go in a nation that is no longer free is the press. Dictators don't like criticism and prefer to monopolize the messaging their people can hear.

It seems to me that conservatives will accept no criticism of Donald Trump and would go to any lengths to dismantle the ability of media organizations to do so.

Sure, they say that they just don't like the "liberal media" and would accept one that is "fair"...which I take to mean "doesn't criticize Donald Trump."

Look, I don't like Breitbart, FOX, or Infowars, but I support their right to continue to exist, because I think that we're overall better off with a press corps capable of asking questions independent of government than without it.

I see no indication that Donald Trump has any respect for the role of a free press in our society, and I genuinely believe he would dismantle it entirely if he could. Do conservatives understand the value of a free press not beholden to a President, or do they really wish to do away with it?
It is pretty clear to most adults with reasonable critical thinking skills that "MSM" is normal and reports accurately if not with some bias.

It is also perfectly clear that Trump wishes to delegitimize the media because he wishes to weaken their message amongst his followers. Trump is fully aware of his own history, he misdeeds and that they are likely to come to light during his term. Thus he attacks attacks and attacks, because this is all he knows how to do.

We need to remind the public and each other that CNN is a normal 24 news station and does not "make things up" as Trump and his followers would like us to believe. If we allow Trump to succeed in his attack on CNN, he will target MSNBC, NBC, CBS , ABC, and every other outlet until they are all closed or sheep bleating his words.

Remember Putin has shut down all free TV , he has imprisoned reporters, murdered them and even took down a news station live on the air . the last sounds were shouting and gunfire.

Today Russia has state run media that spouts whatever they are told too. That is what Trump wants and that is what his supporters and russian allies want too.

Don't for a second believe Trumps hardcore supporters care one whit about this nation, they care about winning and damn the torpedos.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:49 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,577 times
What really has Trump done to the free press?

As someone who does not think Donald Trump should be president and who finds his hostility to the press to be evident of a child like ego of our president, the free press is still around. They're still reporting on what he's doing without being arrested in mass. We still very much have a free and independent press.

The only real damage Trump is doing is sewing the uncritical seeds of doubt in his base. It's problematic that when he tweets out about the "failing NYT" like a petulant child that his base believes that, despite the number of subscriptions for the Times increasing since the election. But his base is actually not nearly as large as we thing. It just can't be. Most conservatives surely don't buy the idea that the NYT is fake news.

How long will this doubt be around? Hard to say. But what is for sure true about the present, to suggest that the free press is near destruction is a severe exaggeration and to make sure we always have a free press, we should probably avoid exaggerating when arguing against the people who probably would prefer a state run media to a free press.

Old 07-22-2017, 05:50 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,846 times
So Wikileaks
Is fake now? When they leaked stuff on the Bush administration libs were quite pleased with it

Old 07-22-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It is pretty clear to most adults with reasonable critical thinking skills that "MSM" is normal and reports accurately if not with some bias.

It is also perfectly clear that Trump wishes to delegitimize the media because he wishes to weaken their message amongst his followers. Trump is fully aware of his own history, he misdeeds and that they are likely to come to light during his term. Thus he attacks attacks and attacks, because this is all he knows how to do.

We need to remind the public and each other that CNN is a normal 24 news station and does not "make things up" as Trump and his followers would like us to believe. If we allow Trump to succeed in his attack on CNN, he will target MSNBC, NBC, CBS , ABC, and every other outlet until they are all closed or sheep bleating his words.

Remember Putin has shut down all free TV , he has imprisoned reporters, murdered them and even took down a news station live on the air . the last sounds were shouting and gunfire.

Today Russia has state run media that spouts whatever they are told too. That is what Trump wants and that is what his supporters and russian allies want too.

Don't for a second believe Trumps hardcore supporters care one whit about this nation, they care about winning and damn the torpedos.

CNN has lost all credibility after the 2016 election.

Defending it won't help libs at all

Old 07-22-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
What is sad is that those e-mails were stolen to sway an election. Too many people were blind to the manipulation. The Russians tried the same tactic in France with Macron, but the French public were onto these Russian dirty tracts and were smart enough to ignore stolen emails and fake news. Take your own advice and start thinking.

So real emails shouldn't influence someone's opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies