Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 11:16 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I shouldn't have given you that opening .

Doubly good for you re the bolded for getting through that. After the Surgeon General's report came out, it took my mother almost 5 years to quit. It was very hard, and I watched her go through the process and do it. Showing me that she could do something that difficult and make it to the other side successfully was one of the best things she ever did as a parent . My father's four packs were unfiltered, but I'm guessing your point is the definite difference between rolling your own with tobacco, and manufactured (possibly re what might be added) cigarettes.

I really didn't have a point lol I was just saying it's cheaper to roll your own. It's a few dollars for a pouch and goes a long way. I am so proud of your mother just as you are. Unless you ever smoked you have no idea how hard it is to quit nicotine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 12:40 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Chris is a Republican, and a Trumpist. New Jersey elected him, and that tells me all I need to know about NJ.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:04 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Military too?
Do you really think laws stop those under 21 year olds who want to smoke, drink and get high?
No but it reduces the number who do.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:37 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
No but it reduces the number who do.
Cite?
Education of ones self to the dangers is better, its also a role best suited for parents, not bureaucrats.
If the health of young adults is the primary concern of nanny govt. then it's time to raise the military enlistment age to 21 as well.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:51 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
Going against his own party in the state senate and assembly, Christie signed a bill that, when it takes effect in November, will increase the minimun age that tobacco can be sold to from 19 to 21 and will increase the maximum fine for sales to underage buyers to $1000.
If there was ever a theoretical, meaningless argument/law, it is the 18,19 or 21 debate.

Pure political theatrics.

May as well have declared no rain allowed on Sundays.

Teens have figured out the combinatin to the 18/21 game since at least the 1960s and passed that knowledge down. Drink in NY at 18, in NJ at 21. Hmmm what to do???

The soultion to ciggy acquisition by 'underage' wannabe smokers is hardy a hurdle.

Raise the ciggy age, CC goes away and dems legalize weed. So you vcan have your smoke, the very same destructive smoke coursing thru your lungs. The same unburned hydrocarbons and radiation your health class warned you about.

enjoy the restricted blood flow

Now the real problem is where can you legally smoke!!!
So many places have been declared smoke free, it would take real imaginationto find a place you can smoke and not be arrested.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:56 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It is not. I do not smoke and think it's disgusting but why do you want to do this?
I saw many smokers get COPD , lung cancer, heart disease, and many other chronic conditions that killed them.
A friend who had to use a machine mixed with salt and water she had to use. She was very wealthy. Her and her husband would go on a cruise. She would stay in bed the whole time. It got worse. She was a smoker . Used to play golf . She wound up bedridden most of her last years . She struggled to breath. Even with the money she had which was a fortune, she died slowly. She had emphysema. She was a good friend and good person.

Another rich women also is confined to her palatial home with a 100 ft tubed oxygen machine. She does not venture out anymore. Smoking.

I could go on and on . Why do you think they call them cancer sticks?

I smoked decades ago. I quit. It was very hard to do but I did it. I understand the habit because I was a smoker..It is very strong habit as it is associated with having coffee, talking on the phone, socializing etc... If we can get more people not to start smoking it is a very good thing.

Fact is many who got sick wished they had quit and they did quit when they got sick but it was too late. I know too many who got lung cancer or other diseases.

I am surprised by your reasoning. Fact is smoking kills people and today it costs a fortune..

Old 07-23-2017, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
The should cut him off of all the burgers and twinkies..
Take a good look in the supermarkets. They have aisles of junk food.. the best thing to do is shop around the outer shelves of the store where all the fresh food is.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:00 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Take a good look in the supermarkets. They have aisles of junk food.. the best thing to do is shop around the outer shelves of the store where all the fresh food is.
And avoid the service desk where they sell the cigarettes. Problem solved, no law required.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,663,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I agree that it would be nuts if we had a draft. Since we don't, if someone is that bothered by the hypocrisy, no one is forcing them to serve.
Your lack of understanding is only matched by your ignorance.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
And avoid the service desk where they sell the cigarettes. Problem solved, no law required.
They will need proof to smoke. Many that I know who are younger , do not smoke. It is a dying industry both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies