Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 04:53 PM

35,679 posts, read 21,030,020 times

Advertisements

Independent. Just because I detest boxes. I have very conservative values,, home, family God, sense of community, rule of law, order, as the golden rule. I detest any type of bias, fear mongering, arrogance and - the me, myself and I attitude we have acquired. I think we must Grow, accept change and get out of the way, when it's time. Invest in the future. The young people. I vote for people who look out for the whole , not those only looking out for thier ratty closed minded group. What we have now... Will hurt us all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 04:55 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I'm reading an Autobiography of Mary matelin and James carville, and Mary has gone to Libertarian. Interesting.
Matelin was never a christian soldier, although IIRC, both she and Carville are regular church-goers.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:38 PM

12,031 posts, read 6,561,999 times
I was raised in a strong democrat family and community (San Francisco Bay Area).
I was a democrat most of my life until it became the party of stupid.
I think I was influenced to be a democrat because the liberal propaganda and cultural indoctrination
was so intense.

I have been an Indendent now for well over a decade, but currently lean pretty conservative.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:40 PM

1,348 posts, read 791,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I generally support Democrats because I don't want to live in a dog-eat-dog world. Republicans generally believe in Ayn Rand's philosophy of objectivism, which says that you and those who are close to you are the only ones whose happiness matters, and that everyone can be classified as either a "maker" or a "taker". That's a recipe for a very harsh world.

If you look at the most peaceful and happiest countries in the world - the countries where people have been most satisfied with their lives - they are overwhelmingly countries who provide a strong social safety net for their citizens through progressive taxation and payment transfer programs. I want the US to be more like Canada or Switzerland, not Somalia or Botswana. In a country as wealthy as the US, we should not have to worry so much about the financial ramifications of getting sick or losing a job.
This is EXACTLY what I reference in my comment above.
A totally inaccurate view of what most Repubs stand for and believe in.
This is part of the problem of too many U.S voters....a willingness to believe things that aren't true.

Regarding the second paragraph, Switzerland is a very nice country and they have some good public services, etc. But;
1 - there is a trade-off and it's not a small one -- their tax structure is punishing. Your jaw would drop. It allows for much less financial freedom and overall choices. Americans value those two things very much, for good reason, and it doesn't fit our mindset to give them up.

2 - This is very important and defines why Switzerland can largely succeed with their system. You know who lives there? Primarily the Swiss do, and Austrians, Germans, French, Dutch, etc. Those peoples have similar values and understand you need to work and contribute. (I would also bet there is less corruption in Swiss Govt than there is here.) Except at the very beginning, America has never been homogenous and has been a place of constant immigration. We simply DO NOT have shared values. We're too diverse for that to be the case. You simply cannot compare countries like that with the USA...it's apples and oranges.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:10 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times
The "who should I vote for" quizzes based on my positions generally tell me that my positions line up closer to Democratic candidates than Republican candidates, although not always by large margins.

I just want a fair capitalist society, where corporations don't use their power to rig the system and leave the little guy in the dust (basically an equal opportunity-unequal outcome system), some humanitarian protections for education and healthcare, everybody, regardless of how similar or different they are to you, to be treated with dignity, and evidence-based decision making. I don't think either party really subscribes to that fully, but I think that the people who feel this way tend to lean more toward the Democrat side of things.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:19 PM

27,548 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
This is unfortunately a very complex subject. In theory I agree. Just give everyone equal rights, seems to be the logical and easiest conclusion. Reality however does not work that way, just because group 2 were given equal rights does not mean they cannot be still discriminated against. Question then becomes what now? On the other hand of course given special treatment to certain groups will always breed contempt before long. A vicious cycle.
In my view, most of the "injustice" in America is perceived and not real. It is part of our sensationalist culture to believe there is much more injustice in our society than there actually is. Plus, it is not at all clear to me that just because a segment of society is discriminated against, that that will necessarily keep them from achieving success. In fact, just the opposite might happen.

I am also strongly against illegal immigration into the U.S. We should welcome legal immigrants from countries all over the world based on what our nation needs. But if there's justice, all illegal immigrants should be deported. I have believed this for decades.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:22 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,278,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
In my view, most of the "injustice" in America is perceived and not real. Plus, it is not at all clear to me that just because a segment of society is discriminated against, that that will necessarily keep them from achieving success. In fact, just the opposite might happen.

I am also strongly against illegal immigration into the U.S. We should welcome legal immigrants from countries all over the world based on what our nation needs. But if there's justice, then all illegal immigrants should be deported.
Perhaps. But I'm wiling to bet if you ask 10 different people you get 10 different answers on which injustice is "real" and which are merely perceived.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:38 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I was a republican through 1988. Then Limbaugh went national. I used to race bicycles and every afternoon I'd go on a training ride with a Walkman and I stumbled across Limbaugh. Listened to his entire show most days (if it was a long slow easy ride by myself). I was stunned by the vitriol of the guy and equally stunned by his "dittoheads." The tenor of his show alarmed me and made me uncomfortable with that type of republicanism. I figured if this was where republicanism was headed I wanted off. Now a days it is the only kind of republicanism there is.

In my opinion, the former democrats that I couldn't tolerate from the '60s (read southern dixiecrats and militant northern union/Reagan Democrats) are now the Limbaugh base and effectively the base of the republican party.
I agree, I used to hate Rush Limbaugh, and still think he's pretty awful, but have you listened to
Democrats lately? They are worse.

Old 07-23-2017, 08:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Because I woke up one day and played eenie meeny miny mo.

Lucky for me, I made the right decision.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:18 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,604,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I came of age during the Viet Nam War when innocent kids were being sent over to kill other innocent people and we didn't even know why. The Democratic party seemed to fit with how I felt.
What? Are your wires crossed? Kennedy and Lbj accelerated vietnam involvement and Nixon ended the draft and pulled the US out of vietnam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies