Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 AM

19,642 posts, read 12,231,401 times

Advertisements

The residents are proud of their olfactory tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:24 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,142,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't have an accurate count of homeless, nor the number of homeless that shelters can take. However, neither do you. There are many religious, government, and charitable organizations that offer food, and shelter for the poor. There are also government programs that offer a safety net for the poor, and/or homeless. Many of these people are mentally ill, so do not seek this assistance. However, it is available to them. They don't need to soil our streets, and destroy the standard of living, and quality if life of city dwellers.
Food, yes. There are many resources for the homeless to get fed.

Shelter is a different story entirely though. Many of those resources are only for homeless families or women. Single men have far fewer options. The shelters that are available have long waiting lists and time limits to stay in there. So they end up on the streets between shelters.

Plenty of homeless people are off the streets, but there just aren't enough combined sources of shelter to accommodate all the homeless people who want it.

Then you have a subset of the population who are too mentally ill to even want shelter. When I worked with a non-profit aiding the homeless population throughout 2014, I remember the program director told me that he approximates that 25% of the homeless fit that category.

It's sad, but that is a fact of life too. And it's a difficult problem to address that won't be cured by forcibly hauling them off to somewhere they'll never be seen by polite society.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:25 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,226,183 times
Why do most of you want to "IMPOSE UPON OTHERS, WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT IMPOSED UPON YOU"

Who made you such a judge of others, when you omit your own responsibility in the madness which exist. These issues did not happen became some Aliens came from Space. This is the "outgrowth" of each of you, and your civil manner and societal grooming.

Don't PRETEND you don't know where you came from!!! You are Products of a system that supported "SEGREGATION" for 100 yrs. !!!! You should invest to think about what that means, what damages it causes, how it promoted hardships upon others and how your own vanity and ego was groomed within such frames of society, and how you, by your folklore passed on habits has been a driving force of the continuations of "inequity".

Stop GRANDSTANDING and acknowledge that your imperfections are contribution factors, because somehow many of you have some self delusional thinking that you are "perfect" and some of you have some delusion that "you are a role model" that others should emulate. That's the IGNORANCE passed along over the 100 yrs of Segregated system and society, where you come from a background of thinking yourself "superior" based on ethnicity and skin color.

You have danced around in "white privileged for so long" until you think "white privilege" is the standard format for America, where it puts "you" first and everyone else down the list far from where you place yourself.

You need to step back and face the real truths... Look around yourself, and then look at yourself !! the nature of crimes in generalized white society is a mix of every kind of crime that one can imagine. Your kids kill each other for many reasons, including "thrill killing", you have men killing off the entire family when economic position changes, and you still have a massive segment that thinks "women are owned property" the minute she gets in a relationship with some of you men. Insurance Killing is like a generalized habit, because you have been taught for too long, that "wealthy chasing is the only thing that matters", until it becomes the basis not only in whom you choose to relate with, it becomes the basis of how your measure yourself. You can't step back and see it, because its your "groomed format and has been for generations", so you are blind to seeing yourself from a subjective standpoint.

But, Realize... Everyone Else including members of your own ethnicity and race can see it... so its a game played out as well upon and against yourself, the same as you think you can play it out, upon and against others.

Many of you live in a debt spin, that is so close to the edge, trying to "emulate TV Commercial Imagery", until your kids are claiming depression, before they can even figure out how to live in society. They engage in bullying, as a standard format from a society groomed in the principles of bullying, based on the same fictional delusion of thinking yourself "superior". You play that game out on and among each other, the same as you play it out and upon and against any minority group or person or persons.

Your bigger problem is the failure to self review, because you have a delusion that you are some model for society to emulate.

Then truth comes out, of the kids molested, the cycle now of even the schools being cycled with teacher and student sex cycles that are non ending, and for decades you tried to pretend it was only "men" that needed to be scrutinized; now you are finding the cycle of women, seducing the students and being open and willing to accept the seductions from the student, because your own history has give you the inference of ideals that "you can do anything you want" without being "suspect"... because the delusion of white superiority comes with a pretense of illusion, that one is never "suspect", because they have "white privilege".... then, when it becomes to involve your son or daughter, you go into a rage, but then settle by claiming it as an "anomaly"... when truth and fact it is among the everyday habitual activities within your segment and groups of society.
You watch on TV as its made into "Soap Opera", "Lifetime Movies" and "Crime Drama" with "pretty faces following a sexualized scrip, or one that infuses money chasing, and then you "diminish the truth", by trying to white wash it as if there is some level of acceptability, because you've seen it on the TV screen.... You result to make decisions based on the facial and body shape of the characters, and the provocativeness of their presentations. Then you transfer that type of thinking to how you get on in mind to pass judgments, to "slap the wrist" and say, "don't do it again" and move on.....
BUT... if it involved a Minority of any ethnic group.... you are ready to build a "gallows" and everyone is willing to bring a rope.

Back Up....and Ask yourself, what happen to the jobs that once provided people means and supported civil and civic society and its socialization of humanity? , and then ask yourself why has schools become strictly about (STEM) {Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics } | What happen to the concern for teaching Civics and Social Studies and Cultural Programming, these things now are treated as "luxuries" only afforded to the wealthy in the wealthy suburbs of America. These become the key elments that over priced universities are sold for having, but we offer nothing of such in general educational programming.
No longer is there Culture Building Programming -
Business Club –
Financial Management Organization Club
Cultural Awareness Organization –
Chemistry and Medical Science Clubs –
Chess Club –
Diversity and World Culture Club –
Comedy and Life Humor Club –
Cyber and Communication Club –
Governmental Studies Club –
Inventions and Designs Club
Film Club –
Community Focus Groups–
Garden Club –
History Club –
International Nations and Societies Club –
Recording Club –
Robotics Club –
Student Tutoring –
Wildlife Biology–
Youth for Conservation Forum –
Non-school sponsored clubs

There is more to life than just Soccer, Football, Basketball, Tennis and Baseball, we should continue to embrace all of such, but we must find a way, to bring back the broad expanse of Culture Building Programming.

To further damage the society, when the Draft was ended, there was no more Civic and Civil Pride Programming to Replace the value of such benefit people gained from being in a Institutionally Organized System to learn craft, trade, skill, social unity building, and the many things gained. WHY? Because we ALLOWED our system, to make abusive use of our young by being driven into wars by the promotions and acts of the military industrial complex, who took stands and pushed issues that voided out diplomacy.
Today, our Civil Service program could have function equally as well, expanding their role domestically to be Civic Pride and Continental Services Programming that work with our Federal Agencies to Improve America. These same people could have been taught and trained on National Defense the same as it was done before, BUT the single focus would not have been SINGULARITY about War Game Tactics, but as well about the Civic Pride of America. See: A Civic Corp

We need to rethink America... and do so without race being a matter, and learn that wealth does not control our society, as we are not a Monarchy to be controlled by "families of wealth"... we are a Democracy, that is managed by a basis of Equality among citizens and persons with a premise of "Majority Rule".

If we don't awaken, we will continue to allow Capitalism to Take Over Democracy, and that means we become a Plutocracy, which is a nation controlled by the "wealthy"... That become to lead to many frames of Autocracy.

It's at a time America must think in terms of Democracy and Equality...
therefore, again I say:
Why do most of you want to "IMPOSE UPON OTHERS, WHAT YOU DO NOT WANT IMPOSED UPON YOU"

We had better learn quickly to let go of bigotry as it has ruined the core mentality of many... and led to nothing but vanity and greed, leading us in every direction of madness that we can conjure up... Trying to claim and hold the ego and vanity of bigotry, and seeking to use greed as a tool to push bigotry to divide the nation.

If you don't understand... you may well need to think deeper, think more and in doing so, learn to understand more than your self centered perspectives. As yourself... "What is Democracy" as its evident many absolutely have no idea.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
no answer.. got it
Maybe you'd have one if you bothered to read the article.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,445,071 times
1.) If you don't live there why do you care?
2.) If they cracked down on vagrancy the homeless people will just move somewhere else (probably to where you live) and be someone else's problem

Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Maybe you'd have one if you bothered to read the article.
No one knows, but nationally, we dedicate enormous resources to help these people.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:27 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,122,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
So you're saying those bums couldn't get a home loan approval for $1 million? How much do you think they got approved for? Do you think they can afford a $200k mobile home? I'm just trying to see where you're going with this.
Most of the homeless have mental health issues. Let's get that one off the table. I was accosted by a schizophrenic off his meds once, and I thought I was going to have to kill the guy, so part 1 is getting the mentally ill off the streets.

Now, as far as my housing remark... I spent last summer in the Bay Area for work. I was utterly shocked at the costs the locals were paying for **** shack apartments. 3k a month for a two bedroom? That's insane. The office I worked out of primarily was directly across the street from a big park. There were a lot of homeless people there, and not all of them were junkies or mentally ill. They lived in their cars, or in the park because they simply couldn't afford a crappy apartment.

Some of these very expensive cities create a secondary homeless problem outside of what would ordinarily exist. That was the extent of my observation.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
No one knows, but nationally, we dedicate enormous resources to help these people.
I agree that nationally we do quite a bit of spending to help the homeless. That's just not going to be enough though, as it only sustains them from day to day for the most part. I think excessive laws play a role too.

For example, a poor person could easily live in a city (where there are many jobs and owning a car isn't necessary) if there weren't maximum occupancy laws, which are absurdly low (in most places, it violates city ordinance for a studio apartment to contain more than 2 people).

Or if they want to sell items/services on the street, they're looking at thousands of dollars just to apply for a permit from the city. Changing these two laws/regulations together could get plenty of people off the street (and off of welfare).

Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Most of the homeless have mental health issues. Let's get that one off the table. I was accosted by a schizophrenic off his meds once, and I thought I was going to have to kill the guy, so part 1 is getting the mentally ill off the streets.

Now, as far as my housing remark... I spent last summer in the Bay Area for work. I was utterly shocked at the costs the locals were paying for **** shack apartments. 3k a month for a two bedroom? That's insane. The office I worked out of primarily was directly across the street from a big park. There were a lot of homeless people there, and not all of them were junkies or mentally ill. They lived in their cars, or in the park because they simply couldn't afford a crappy apartment.

Some of these very expensive cities create a secondary homeless problem outside of what would ordinarily exist. That was the extent of my observation.
Only 3k a month for a 2br?? That's more like the average price for a studio.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
I agree that nationally we do quite a bit of spending to help the homeless. That's just not going to be enough though, as it only sustains them from day to day for the most part. I think excessive laws play a role too.

For example, a poor person could easily live in a city (where there are many jobs and owning a car isn't necessary) if there weren't maximum occupancy laws, which are absurdly low (in most places, it violates city ordinance for a studio apartment to contain more than 2 people).

Or if they want to sell items/services on the street, they're looking at thousands of dollars just to apply for a permit from the city. Changing these two laws/regulations together could get plenty of people off the street (and off of welfare).
2 people in studio max makes sense.. 150 sq ft each is hardly excessive, Now I would not mind bringing back SROs on the condition residents have to pass weekly drug tests, and with no alcohol allowed on premises. With those rules obeyed, I wouldn't mind subsidizing SRO owners to make it viable on both ends of transaction..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies