Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 05:31 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,092,523 times

Advertisements

Word is that Preibus will be out next month in favor of the Mooch so there may be a lot of housecleaning going on.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:35 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,764,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Maybe we're finally learning that the work that professional government employees/politicians do isn't so easily replicated. It's almost as if you have to be an expert in these areas to excel. Like, you know, with anything else.

Tillerson may have been a great and successful oil CEO, but that doesn't mean he'd be good at something else, such as being the secretary of state for the US. And honestly, we shouldn't expect him to have been immediately good at it - talk about an impossible expectation.

Why voters (and by extension, our Congress, which approved his appointment) seem to think that just about anyone can do these things is beyond me.

I know why people think this ("government employees are lazy know-nothings - if only they operated like the private sector!!", walks down to City Hall, thinks to self "I could do this work - it's just pushing paper around!", etc.) - but it's a naive thing to believe.
Can't rep you again but this is dead on.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:46 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,609,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
He retired from Exxon this year. He was planning a comfortable retirement with his wife, but put it aside when called to help his country. Too bad his boss is such a loser.
you are of course correct. I completely forgot that .

Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,172,451 times
Has he done anything? From day one he went into hiding. He is the original low energy secretary of the state. At this rate, Trump may have to start over again.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Would anyone, anyone AT ALL, be surprised?
Yeah, what took so long? Oh, he must have been sleeping.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:54 PM

19,578 posts, read 22,454,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I read rumors that he was very upset with Trump's performance at the jamboree last night. Apparently he was an Eagle Scout and had addressed the scouts a few days before, apparently without making references to cocaine-fueled orgies on yachts.
IS.. IS an Eagle Scout. That's supposed to mean something throughout one's entire life.

He was also past President of the Boy Scouts of America and has earned other prestigious lifetime Scouting awards.

He should be p*ssed off about it. I am.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:55 PM

Scouts liked the speech. It wasn't given for Tillerson or anybody else.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:59 PM

19,578 posts, read 22,454,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Scouts liked the speech. It wasn't given for Tillerson or anybody else.
Any time the President shows up they should be enthused, regardless of who it is.

And not all Scouts liked it. There is a maelstrom of discontent over this matter in Scouting. Raging right now.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:34 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,189,003 times
Of course he'll leave. So will McMaster. Other cabinet members are also disillusioned with the crazy in chief. Why would anyone with any self-respect stay and work for the disloyal back-stabbing president?

"...Secretary of State Rex Tillerson has told friends he will be lucky to last a year in his job, according to a friend, while two officials said national security adviser H.R. McMaster was frustrated by what he sees as disorganization and indiscipline on key policy issues inside the White House.

A source familiar with the situation told Reuters that Tillerson was "very upset at not having autonomy, independence and control over his own department and the ability to do the job the way the job ... is traditionally done.."

...a current Trump Cabinet secretary described the situation in the White House as a "cluster****" and says that multiple top officials are disturbed by it: “If he can get treated that way, what about the rest of us?” one of the President’s Cabinet secretaries asked me with both shock and anger in his voice. I am told reports about Rex Tillerson (not who I talked to) are legitimate..."

Trump foreign policy team up in arms, Tillerson 'lucky to last a year,' sources say - U.S. News - Haaretz.com

Trump humiliation of Jeff Sessions alienates Republican, alt-right allies.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:54 PM

56,986 posts, read 25,943,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
can i just pretend i wrote that and steal credit..

From the beginning i felt Tillerson was there primarily to ensure the exxon oil deal went through and sanctions were lifted.

I also get the feeling that Tillerson has no real idea what his job is and he lacks the public communication skills or at least the desire to communicate with the public . Reportedly Tillerson does not "fit" in the state dept, he does not fit in the public sector and the sheer volume of expertise that was fired or pushed out means there are not enough veterans left to provide the support a new and relatively inexperienced leader would need.

and frankly Trump has shown himself to be very disloyal, dangerous and very quick to blame others. From the start Trump has attacked anyone and everyone around him. Tillerson has yet to completely destroy his reputation, if he exits now he can say he was put in an impossible position and did the right thing... Exxon surely have a seat kept warm for him.

One has only to look at what Trump is doing to Sessions to figure out Tillerson and other might be getting ready to exit stage left.

There have been some good businessmen in positions of responsibility but DOD and SOS are not the places for the inexperienced. I also beleive Ross Perot and Romney would have made good presidents but not this one. SOS is one of the most complicated positions, it requires a deep understanding of foreign countries. Claims that we need to run the government like a business are not well thought out to say the least, completely different worlds.

Still I would like to see him remain, we have enough disruption and it's not good for the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies