Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 09:47 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
They invite civic leaders. Period.

Civic duty is a large part of the program. NORMALLY a civic leader would say something appropriate and non-partisan, like 'Duty to God and Country' stuff.

But it's evident Trump is not 'normal'.

Blaming BSA is misguided. The ire should lay squarely at the feet of the Dufus delivering the message.
I would like to ask Zinke and Perry, who were on stage with Trump during the address, if, as Eagle Scouts, they think Trump's words reflected Scouting's values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:48 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,828,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoicalot View Post
That statement makes no sense.
Nobody has ever been as successful as Trump.
Billionaire with no political experience wins the White House.
And by June, President Trump had signed 37 bills into law, while Obama only had 24, Bush only 15.
Bill Gates could buy and sell Trump five or six times, and would still be the wealthiest man on the planet, and more successful than Trump ever could be.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,516,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
How about men who intentionally walk in on naked teenage girls? You good with that?
Apparently. As we know, cons have zero morals. Truly disgusting people.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:49 AM

19,594 posts, read 22,468,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I would like to ask Zinke and Perry, who were on stage with Trump during the address, if, as Eagle Scouts, they think Trump's words reflected Scouting's values.
I'm pretty sure Zinke found it cringe worthy. Perry? Not so sure.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,029,316 times
Donald Trump is the antithesis of everything Boy Scouts purport to stand for.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:50 AM

19,594 posts, read 22,468,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Apparently. As we know, cons have zero morals. Truly disgusting people.
That's a pretty broad brush. I know a lot of top notch Republicans. They just don't get very far, lol.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 AM

574 posts, read 379,894 times
President Trump doesnt have the characteristics of the Boy Scouts of America, YADA YADA YADA YADA! So if he doesnt, why Does President Obama? scandals, scandals everywhere in basically any Presidental Office this country has had pretty recently

Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 AM

14,365 posts, read 14,184,731 times
I was a scout leader for probably five years. I was assistant scoutmaster and scoutmaster for a troop in my home state.

I have great respect for the Boy Scouts as an organization. If the President wanted to speak to the scouts this is the protocol that should have been followed:

1. The scout organization should have told the President that he was welcome to do so.

2. It should have been made clear that all remarks would have to be non-political.

3. A copy of the speech should have first been given to the BSA organization and reviewed.

4. The President should have been asked to strike all remarks that were political in nature. These include references to Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, health care legislation, etc. If the President refused to do so, the speech should have been cancelled.

This type of a speech is one that should be given as President of the United States, not as the head the of the republican party.

President Trump should not have done what he did and the Boy Scouts of America should not have allowed him to give this speech. There should be repercussions for the scout organization for allowing it to be used in such a naked partisan manner.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:56 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,305,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSeligman View Post
President Trump doesnt have the characteristics of the Boy Scouts of America, YADA YADA YADA YADA! So if he doesnt, why Does President Obama? scandals, scandals everywhere in basically any Presidental Office this country has had pretty recently
I think you missed the point of the concerns being expressed by BSA members and their families.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:58 AM

18,986 posts, read 9,029,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I was a scout leader for probably five years. I was assistant scoutmaster and scoutmaster for a troop in my home state.

I have great respect for the Boy Scouts as an organization. If the President wanted to speak to the scouts this is the protocol that should have been followed:

1. The scout organization should have told the President that he was welcome to do so.

2. It should have been made clear that all remarks would have to be non-political.

3. A copy of the speech should have first been given to the BSA organization and reviewed.

4. The President should have been asked to strike all remarks that were political in nature. These include references to Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, health care legislation, etc. If the President refused to do so, the speech should have been cancelled.

This type of a speech is one that should be given as President of the United States, not as the head the of the republican party.

President Trump should not have done what he did and the Boy Scouts of America should not have allowed him to give this speech. There should be repercussions for the scout organization for allowing it to be used in such a naked partisan manner.
Agree 100%. I was heavily involved in Scouts, too, when my son was growing up. I was a den leader for many years, secretary of the committee for years, my ex-husband was assistant scout master, my son attended Jamborees and Philmont. This base politicizing of the Scouts is a disgrace to the organization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies