Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM

1,261 posts, read 944,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Oh, I'm pretty certain I know exactly how the adult involved reacted to the speech (Not well!), but I'm looking forward to hearing about how the rest of the attendees reacted after the smoke cleared.
I've heard that Scouts for Equality offered alternate activities for scouts who opted not to attend. If your source happens to know, I'm also curious how many scouts opted to join them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 02:00 PM

13,582 posts, read 9,612,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
I've said it once, and I'll say it again: they don't care, so long as a white conservative male is president.
White conservative populist male. I don’t think that Edmund Burke or even Bill Buckley could be elected today… too “elitist”.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:03 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,940,546 times
The whole thing was just creepy. He turned it into a Trump Youth rally. It reminded me of the scene in Cabaret where the Hitler Youth sang "Tomorrow Belongs To Me."

9,837 posts, read 4,604,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
President Trump giving a speech to the Boy Scouts. They are one of the most enthusiastic and vocal crowds yet.

The President said he would rather be talking to the Boy Scouts than be dealing with the sewer of D.C.

Boy Scout
this one is super easy. Trump handled it poorly, we all know it, you know it , i know it the dogs in the street know it. BSA should not have invited or accepted the POTUS as a speaker.

It is simple. BSA should be for everyone , it should back out the religion a lot more and it should NEVER NEVER have politics , politicians or be politicized . Scouts is a great adventure for children. BSA needs to open up more they need to cut out the religion and politics permanently.

17,077 posts, read 13,285,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AminWi View Post
I've heard that Scouts for Equality offered alternate activities for scouts who opted not to attend. If your source happens to know, I'm also curious how many scouts opted to join them.
Interesting. I was not aware of that but will ask when our friends return. My scouts opted for Philmont this year, and in light of what happened I'm glad they did.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:04 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,907,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The Liberal meltdown over this Boy Scouts event is hilarious.

The same group of people that want to enshrine cross dressers and law breaking illegal aliens as national heroes suddenly got a case of The Propers. Now they want to lecture everyone about what is proper and what isn't. Now they want to tell us how unproper and inappropriate Trump was at the event.

Hilarious!
Some of us have enough knowledge about the tenets of the BSA and what that organization stands for, and that is why we are up in arms, because trump embodies everything that is opposite of the BSA Oath. I've been around BSA Scouting since the 1970's; in my own immediate family I have an ASM with 40 year's experience, two brothers who were in that same troop, one Eagle Scout, one Silver Beaver recipient, two OA Vigil members, one OA Brotherhood member, and two National Camp School graduates. Even my mother was involved with our local Council, receiving the President's Award. I've seen a lot of what this organization can do as far as being a positive influence on our youth, and Trump is the very antithesis of it.

Not to mention he injected politics into a NON-POLITICAL event. I saw a post on Facebook today regarding BSA colorguards at a political event. BSA policy requires adult and youth members in uniform to leave immediately after the presentation of the colors and the Pledge of Allegiance. The rule book states (and I quote): The policy is meant to prevent someone from using our brand to convey support of a candidate or ideology. This prevents Scouts from being used by any party in campaign advertisements or materials." He turned the Jamboree into a political showcase for himself, and that is NOT why he was asked to come and speak.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM

1,261 posts, read 944,498 times
Quote:
Interesting. I was not aware of that but will ask when our friends return. My scouts opted for Philmont this year, and in light of what happened I'm glad they did.
Sounds like a great year for Philmont! I hope they had a great time. It looks amazing.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:18 PM

14,339 posts, read 14,151,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
The Liberal meltdown over this Boy Scouts event is hilarious.

The same group of people that want to enshrine cross dressers and law breaking illegal aliens as national heroes suddenly got a case of The Propers. Now they want to lecture everyone about what is proper and what isn't. Now they want to tell us how unproper and inappropriate Trump was at the event.

Hilarious!
I hope you've read through these posts and seen the overwhelming number of people here condemning Trump for giving this speech.

If you can't see the issue with a crackpot like Trump using the Boy Scout Jamboree to make a purely political speech you are one sad customer.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM

6,916 posts, read 3,907,025 times
Quote:
I just learned that some friends from Scouting are attending Jamboree this year, and I'm looking forward to hearing their perspective on the speech and what happened after Trump left the stage.
I'm going over to my parents' house tonight to do laundry. If my dad is home, I'll ask him for his perspective as a 40-year Scouter.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:19 PM

19,528 posts, read 22,407,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
this one is super easy. Trump handled it poorly, we all know it, you know it , i know it the dogs in the street know it. BSA should not have invited or accepted the POTUS as a speaker.

It is simple. BSA should be for everyone , it should back out the religion a lot more and it should NEVER NEVER have politics , politicians or be politicized . Scouts is a great adventure for children. BSA needs to open up more they need to cut out the religion and politics permanently.
That will not happen. Scouting is a civic minded organization. One of the tenets of the program is 'Service to Community, Service to Country'. Citizenship in the Community, Nation and World are all Eagle required merit badges.

Civil Servants (and yes... Trump counts as one) have always been invited to various Scout functions.

Like I said earlier- Usually the speaker discusses a topic centered around 'service'. Trump opted to go off on his own little tangent..

Actually it presents itself as a pretty good teaching moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies