Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 05:30 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times

Advertisements

It is not a people of color issue. This white girl can't pass algebra to save my life. And it is not for lack of trying. It also does not measure intelligence. I can blow most people away with my knowledge of history. Not comprehending algebra does not make one stupid. It is by far the most useless thing that is taught in school. I graduated 20 years ago, and the only time it would have been useful is helping my daughter with homework. I am all for them just removing it completely from the curriculum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 05:32 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,363,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
While we're at it let's take a closer look at that pesky spelling and punctuation. Also reading is vastly overrated.
And don't even get me started on sentence structure.
Lol ^^^^^

Old 07-25-2017, 05:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
IT? And he doesn't know how to use spell check?
He uses spell check. Human spell check. I re-wrote all of his press releases. You would recognize the company name.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
It is not a people of color issue. This white girl can't pass algebra to save my life. And it is not for lack of trying. It also does not measure intelligence. I can blow most people away with my knowledge of history. Not comprehending algebra does not make one stupid. It is by far the most useless thing that is taught in school. I graduated 20 years ago, and the only time it would have been useful is helping my daughter with homework. I am all for them just removing it completely from the curriculum.
You had teachers that couldn't relate to your learning style. I'd bet I could teach you the fundamentals in a day.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I had a tough time with algebra and an even harder time with learning a foreign language that was also a requirement when I went to college but you know what I knuckled down and did my best to pass.
Taking those courses made me think outside my routine and I learned something.

SO what California is saying by eliminating Algebra is that the coloured people are not smart enough to learn and they lack the self worth to really challenge themselves so drop the challenge.

I'm sure there are a lot of fat kids out there that hate gym class so why make them?

The do gooders are rewriting History trying to erase anything that has to do with slavery and the Civil War because a few people are offended.
Why make kids learn about History?
What is next?
Why don't they pay their tuition, get in line and get their degree all in the same day? Oh wait they want to give free tuition.. SO they don't have to pay for something where they are not learning anything anyways.
History is important. Without a knowledge of history, we would repeat the same mistakes our forefathers made in the past.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
That's correct. But I don't get the impression that we're talking about people who couldn't master high school math. We're talking about people attending community colleges, many who plan on going to a four year college once they complete two years.

I've listed a lot of departments in companies where you need to know algebra, and ways we use it in our daily lives.

People mentioned getting a two year certificate and becoming a CNA. They never need to rely on algebraic formulas when dispensing medication?
I work in accounting and have never needed algebra.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Probably most people. Anytime you figure out the mileage your car gets you're using algebra. You have $10 and want to buy some widgets, how many can you buy? You're using algebra. Use Excel or any other spreadsheet? Probably using algebra.

Even if you don't explicitly "use algebra" learning how to do it teaches people how to think, so I suppose it's not a surprise California schools want to drop it.
I am excellent at Excel. I do not consider it to be algebra. Or at least not algebra that you need to calculate. Excel does the work.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I work in accounting and have never needed algebra.
That's just silly talk. People get all scared of Algebra, but if you can work an excel spreadsheet, you are using Algebra.

A2 / (c2-c3) = who dafuq knows without some numbers. It's really not that scary.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I am excellent at Excel. I do not consider it to be algebra. Or at least not algebra that you need to calculate. Excel does the work.
You are using algebra every day.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:52 AM

88,969 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
He uses spell check. Human spell check. I re-wrote all of his press releases. You would recognize the company name.
Some IT guy. Can't even use IT spell check.

Color me unimpressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies