Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 09:27 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I do have an issue with the Chancellor not offering a common sense reason and bringing race/ethnicity into it.
No kidding, singling out "students of color" is so rude and offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:28 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
College administrations could end the racial degree gap easily by giving a degree to anyone who asks for it by charging a small fee for a diploma. Problem solved. Every American or non-American will have a degree. All college grads with this diploma will be worth an equal amount in the workplace, too. Nada.
I take that you're just being sarcastic, right?

There are schools that aren't very reputable called "diploma mills" and are just worth that piece of paper.

But really, any school that is reputable and makes you work for it - the degree is hard earned in terms of both time and money. Which is why I framed mine - I call them the most expensive things on the wall.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:29 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
A basic class about finances would be much more beneficial for students getting an AA. The kids going on towards engineering etc already had algebra in high school. Requiring algebra for AA degrees is a waste of time and money. Thievery.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I do, I also know that I am on a very high level in my field of work and have a lot of experience doing what I do, similar to my old executives and directors. I don't need to know algebra to do my job. I just need to copy/paste the right formulas. If I don't want to copy/paste myself, I have my assistant do it or a contractor.

I'll be meeting with a contractor today who is doing a very in depth report for me on some insurance rates. I'm at the level in my career where I don't need to do reports anymore, but I do share my knowledge of how to do certain formulas with my staff, how to create pivot tables and especially how to reconcile financial statements.

Beyond those things, I don't need algebra.

Hoping you can see that an algebra class taken in college really doesn't provide any sort of skills that are used daily in specific careers.
Given your demonstrated failure, I'm surprised that you're still arguing this.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:32 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,777,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
No kidding, singling out "students of color" is so rude and offensive.
It is hardly new.

There are numerous examples of standards being altered or abandoned so that people can "earn" something.

The New Racism.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:35 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I just typed out some stuff for an example. I could always copy/paste from a report for you but it is not necessary on a forum.

I also stated above, I doubt I could pass an algebra exam without studying. The point was you can just learn an Excel formula and not know anything about algebra to use Excel.
That really depends on what you are using Excel for. Excel is a tool, no more, no less. For basic math functions, adding/subtract/multiply/divide, you might make that case. But much like the example you used incorrectly...if you don't understand the basics, you are using a tool that you have no business using. We don't give 5 year olds circular saws...we don't have people that don't understand basic math pretending they know how to use Excel.

Basic Excel functions, formatting, etc, are all pretty simple and sufficient to use for many basic accounting functions. And if all you are doing is say basic data keeping or setting up an expense report, yeah, you don't need to know that much. But even then you should understand the basic math and check your first pass by hand (calculator). But setting up lookup tables, if/then statements, using Excel to do iterative functions and using it for trig or other more specialized calculations absolutely requires understanding the underlying math.

As far as trades are concerned, try sizing pipes for a given flow and pressure drop based on frictional losses without knowing the underlying mathematics. Try calculating a compound angle for a roof joist. Try sizing a glulam beam without a basic understanding of the math involved. The trades...aren't as simple as setting up a basic Excel spreadsheet.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Given your demonstrated failure, I'm surprised that you're still arguing this.
Not arguing anything just stating simple facts that people who don't take algebra or who do take algebra usually don't use it in their day to day work environments.

I actually did go back to school and get a masters and took a lot of heavy math classes, including algebra, but I don't use it in my job. Excel and algebraic knowledge/formulas aren't the same thing.

That's the point.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:41 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That really depends on what you are using Excel for. Excel is a tool, no more, no less. For basic math functions, adding/subtract/multiply/divide, you might make that case. But much like the example you used incorrectly...if you don't understand the basics, you are using a tool that you have no business using. We don't give 5 year olds circular saws...we don't have people that don't understand basic math pretending they know how to use Excel.

Basic Excel functions, formatting, etc, are all pretty simple and sufficient to use for many basic accounting functions. And if all you are doing is say basic data keeping or setting up an expense report, yeah, you don't need to know that much. But even then you should understand the basic math and check your first pass by hand (calculator). But setting up lookup tables, if/then statements, using Excel to do iterative functions and using it for trig or other more specialized calculations absolutely requires understanding the underlying math.

As far as trades are concerned, try sizing pipes for a given flow and pressure drop based on frictional losses without knowing the underlying mathematics. Try calculating a compound angle for a roof joist. Try sizing a glulam beam without a basic understanding of the math involved. The trades...aren't as simple as setting up a basic Excel spreadsheet.

Seems you also are missing where I stated that certain trades do use algebraic concepts; however they do not use everything involved in a college level Algebra class. They can learn what they need in a specific skills class like "how to calculate a compound angle for a roof joist." And again, contractors have software for this sort of thing. It seems as if you all are unaware of the fact that there is a software program for all types of construction and that any decent sized company uses software and they don't figure out math problems by themselves. They plug numbers into a program and the program will create what they need for large construction projects. Same as for a financial report, you plug in monthly/quarter/bi-annual numbers and run a formula. This stuff is not as in depth as you all seem to think it is.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:54 AM

4,178 posts, read 2,648,665 times
So...they basically called non-white people stupid. Hhahaha hilarious.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's being lazy... and there's not being intelligent enough. These are two different things.
No one is too unintelligent to master algebra unless they suffer from clinical retardation. They just aren't trying, or haven't learned it the right way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies