Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2017, 11:07 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,008,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Personally I think math requirement is like a sieve to filter out those who are really too weak. Employers want to have that kind of sieves for degree earners.

So it is not about what you want, but about what you can.
This^

I think if one is unable to pass intermediate algebra, one is too stupid to work in a white collar field. The algebra requirement also weeds out tons of people seeking to earn worthless degrees on the government dime as well. It's better to crush these individuals dreams in the first couple quarters, than to allow them to rack up 50k in dept to receive a psychology degree without the grades to go to grad school.

Nobody needs to be working at Starbucks with that amount of dept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 11:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I don't see any connection between these things. Nobody who stops algebra because they are really bad at it and it isn't required would have gone on to be a qualified engineer.
Those jobs will be done by machines anyway.
If you don't require it in school, many young kids won't learn, and may regret later. If the standards are low, people won't know if they are really good or bad.

No I'm a CS major I can tell you the job market for programmers is still expanding.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:03 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
If you don't require it in school, many young kids won't learn, and may regret later. If the standards are low, people won't know if they are really good or bad.
Yeah... well... maybe, but I think the borderline students are very unlikely to go on to make important contributions in tech. And if people who are really good at math just stop doing it out of laziness then we've got bigger problems.

Quote:
No I'm a CS major I can tell you the job market for programmers is still expanding.
Some in the field seem to think AI will be doing all the programming within a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rn_BoQzF8Fk

But I'm sure there will still be niches available for smart, creative people. Good luck to you.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:07 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I sincerely doubt that. EdDs are prevalent in K-12. PhDs are not.
I’ll go tell them you said they aren’t PhDs, then.

I am well aware of the difference.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:39 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
I don't think it's necessary to know algebra for many fields in the humanities, arts, etc, but it absolutely must be for anything related to science, medicine, engineering, etc.

Not everyone is meant to go to or complete college, but American society pushes it, in large part because it's a great money maker for universities, and the banks that hold college loans. After they started to push people of low ambition and ability to go get a degree, even if they were never going to use it, they pretty much had to start lowering requirements for prospective students, or creating all sorts of exemptions to things that would have otherwise barred them from spending 100/200k.

Last edited by 415_s2k; 07-29-2017 at 12:59 AM..

Old 07-29-2017, 12:46 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
Algebra is used as a weed out course. If you can't do what is basically middle school math, you probably are not cut out for a college education. Reducing academic standards so that everyone can get a degree regardless of ability just waters down the degree and creates credential inflation.

When I see basic clerical jobs that a middle school kid could that pays $12 an hour requiring a bachelors is proof of credential inflation.

Old 07-29-2017, 02:49 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I’ll go tell them you said they aren’t PhDs, then.
Please do so. And stop telling everyone an EdD is a PhD. They're not the same thing. At all.

FWIW, one of my kids' friends teaches AP Physics. He has a BS in Physics and later went to Ed School for his teaching credentials. He has 2 degrees, but neither is a PhD.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:43 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't think it's necessary to know algebra for many fields in the humanities, arts, etc, but it absolutely must be for anything related to science, medicine, engineering, etc.

Not everyone is meant to go to or complete college, but American society pushes it, in large part because it's a great money maker for universities, and the banks that hold college loans. After they started to push people of low ambition and ability to go get a degree, even if they were never going to use it, they pretty much had to start lowering requirements for prospective students, or creating all sorts of exemptions to things that would have otherwise barred them from spending 100/200k.
Yes. As I said before, there should be only 9 years' general education. Those who have terrible scores should exit after grade 9 and go to vocational schools, or start to work.

That being said, a student should learn some algebra by grade 9, at least be able to solve the simplest equations and know what square root means.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:46 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,753,334 times
Good read.

https://www.amren.com/features/2017/...-race-realist/

Old 07-29-2017, 06:55 AM

89,030 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Yes. As I said before, there should be only 9 years' general education. Those who have terrible scores should exit after grade 9 and go to vocational schools, or start to work.

That being said, a student should learn some algebra by grade 9, at least be able to solve the simplest equations and know what square root means.
They actually need to know more than many think. For example, cubic units of volume for those working with concrete/cement, landscaping materials, etc. That's x^3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies