Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 04:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
An obligation to pay them back for the money they spent raising me since birth? No, I don't feel obligated. Nor do they expect it. I know of no parents who expect that. Apparently these parents had kids because they wanted kids, not a business relationship. Shrug, perhaps you've failed as a parent.
You don't seem to understand that reciprocating doesn't always mean paying back monetarily. My children do buy things for me but they aren't as financially well off as I am so I don't expect them to match me dollar for dollar. They reciprocate by helping out and being there for me as I've always been there for them. In the future, I will need their help, even more, when I become elderly. I don't worry that they won't be there for me when this time comes. They understand that I've given them so much and hope to give back to me when they become successful in their careers. This is the way a healthy relationship with your children is supposed to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 04:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You don't seem to understand that reciprocating doesn't always mean paying back monetarily. My children do buy things for me but they aren't as financially well off as I am so I don't expect them to match me dollar for dollar. They reciprocate by helping out and being there for me as I've always been there for them. In the future, I will need their help, even more, when I become elderly. I don't worry that they won't be there for me when this time comes. They understand that I've given them so much and hope to give back to me when they become successful in their careers. This is the way a healthy relationship with your children is supposed to be.
And? That is a given. And yet, there it is, again you're speaking of monetary reciprocity when you ended with mentioning a successful career. Money is what you're referring to, not helping out in terms of being there for you.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:00 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
If my daughter wants to get a degree in what I would consider a fairly useless field, it is fine with me as long as she gets a teaching certificate with it.
Oh, Lordy no. We already have enough half hearted half arzed teachers.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
And? That is a given. And yet, there it is, again you're speaking of monetary reciprocity when you ended with mentioning a successful career. Money is what you're referring to, not helping out in terms of being there for you.
Is that an issue for you? You don't plan to help your parents out monetarily when they become elderly? Maybe they won't need it. I probably won't, but I know that my children would help me out if I did. The fact that you have problems with this shows the entitled mindset I talk about earlier.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:12 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,779,493 times
Quote:
Is that an issue for you? You don't plan to help your parents out monetarily when they become elderly? Maybe they won't need it. I probably won't, but I know that my children would help me out if I did. The fact that you have problems with this shows the entitled mindset I talk about earlier.
Its not so much that but the language you use. Like you're keeping and accounting of who has done what for whom. It just sounds weird.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:17 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
I do it out of love & my parents appreciate that. They don't expect anything & they don't keep a running tally. We don't have a business relationship. If you expect someone to care for you in old age, you should hire someone, not just have kids. What a cold arrangement.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:18 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Thought about posting this in Parenting but figured this would get political/controversial soon enough.

My daughter is still an infant, but me and my husband are saving up for college for her. However, with all the awful/stupid/pointless "classes" Colleges/Universities have nowadays (which by the time my daughter goes I can only imagine being even worse!) I was wondering if you think it is necessarily wrong to set certain conditions in order to agree to fund their schooling?

My thinking is I honestly don't care all that much what she wants to take whether it be art, science, math, history etc. But I would pull the plug if she were taking some feminist/women's studies or other kind of SJW class. Those are just cancer full of propaganda being taught by horrible people with an agenda and an Axe to grind.

Do you think it's wrong?
In my opinion, I just think that's too conditional. It's one thing to pull the plug if your kids give up in college, party all the time and get lousy grades. If your kids took a path you disagree with, does that make it wrong? Maybe when they get to that point they could have very valid reasons as to their direction. But it's a fine line. It's either a conscious thought out decision, or they could be brainwashed into beliefs that aren't really theirs. That's a distinction to make with regards to "pulling the plug" or not. Just my .02 - you asked

Old 07-28-2017, 05:22 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,596,328 times
I would say have your kids take out loans to pay for it, and if you agree with the decisions they made, offer to pay off their loans.

Keep them in the dark about you having a college fund for them.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:26 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,798,262 times
I have a spouse studying for a forestry exam now. The problem is 50% fail this professional test and it has been 7 years since the degree.

I have no confidence in the ability to pass the test and have seen nothing but excuses for not studying and the exam is coming up in two months.

I have been conflicted as to which is worse:

Permitting the exam to go forward and dealing with the fall out after failing the test.

Pulling the plug and now and removing support since I think it is a waste of funds.

The exam costs about $2,000 including travel to just register for the exam.

Old 07-28-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I do it out of love & my parents appreciate that. They don't expect anything & they don't keep a running tally. We don't have a business relationship. If you expect someone to care for you in old age, you should hire someone, not just have kids. What a cold arrangement.
You're the only one that keeps talking about a tally. I haven't kept a ledger with the money spent on my children, but it's been a lot. It's been more than money though. It's the sacrifices that I've made and the time that I've given to make their lives better. They understand this.

You and others seem to have an issue with the fact that I've brought up money. Why is that? If you won the lottery wouldn't you give money to your parents? Or would you just give them your love? If you wouldn't give money to your parents then you'd be a terrible child. And you might say your parents wouldn't expect it, but, of course, they would, unless they knew you were a rotten child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies