Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 PM

983 posts, read 738,316 times

Advertisements

Thought about posting this in Parenting but figured this would get political/controversial soon enough.

My daughter is still an infant, but me and my husband are saving up for college for her. However, with all the awful/stupid/pointless "classes" Colleges/Universities have nowadays (which by the time my daughter goes I can only imagine being even worse!) I was wondering if you think it is necessarily wrong to set certain conditions in order to agree to fund their schooling?

My thinking is I honestly don't care all that much what she wants to take whether it be art, science, math, history etc. But I would pull the plug if she were taking some feminist/women's studies or other kind of SJW class. Those are just cancer full of propaganda being taught by horrible people with an agenda and an Axe to grind.

Do you think it's wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 09:19 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,961,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Thought about posting this in Parenting but figured this would get political/controversial soon enough.

My daughter is still an infant, but me and my husband are saving up for college for her. However, with all the awful/stupid/pointless "classes" Colleges/Universities have nowadays (which by the time my daughter goes I can only imagine being even worse!) I was wondering if you think it is necessarily wrong to set certain conditions in order to agree to fund their schooling?

My thinking is I honestly don't care all that much what she wants to take whether it be art, science, math, history etc. But I would pull the plug if she were taking some feminist/women's studies or other kind of SJW class. Those are just cancer full of propaganda being taught by horrible people with an agenda and an Axe to grind.

Do you think it's wrong?
I think it's dumb and misguided. Let them find their own way. Just make sure you encourage a sustainable major.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:20 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
I think you're borrowing trouble.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:22 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
I don't know that it is wrong to feel that way, but if your daughter is anything like my daughter, or I was at that age, or my mother for definitely certain then it would only make her want to do it more.

But you will know her personality by then and can handle accordingly. See it turned back into a parenting answer.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:23 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:

Do you think it's wrong?
So a daughter should not be allowed to take women's studies? Women weren't even allowed to have a credit card until 1974. This is why we will never have a female president. Women do not support other women and ridicule those that do. It's like they want to live in The Handmaid's Tale. I do think it's wrong but hopefully by then she will be able to pay for her own college and choose her own classes.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:24 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,392,751 times
my dad hates golf, I brother was away at university and took a golf class. My dad pulled him out of school

Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:

Do you think it's wrong?
yes i think it is wrong. children need the freedom to learn what they want to learn. the best you can do is guide her along a path that she wants to follow.

be as open and honest with her about your views on a variety of subjects, including religion and politics, but dont force her to take, or not take, certain classes just because you disagree with the curriculum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So a daughter should not be allowed to take women's studies? Women weren't even allowed to have a credit card until 1974. This is why we will never have a female president. Women do not support other women and ridicule those that do. It's like they want to live in The Handmaid's Tale. I do think it's wrong but hopefully by then she will be able to pay for her own college and choose her own classes.
i think we will one day have a woman president, but it wont be someone like hillary clinton. our first female president will be someone far less vile, and more conservative than clinton.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:31 PM

2,956 posts, read 2,342,936 times
Pretty ignorant to limit education like that.

I'd be more concerned about a worthless degree than filling up an elective with a woman's study class. Just because you take one doesn't mean you're going to become a full on retarded SJW. In fact there is plenty of good info to learn once you get past the preconceived notions you hold dear via your cognitive dissonance.

I think people see comments, generally from the dumbest selection of certain groups on each side and some how construe that anyone for woman's rights or other type of advocate for equality believes equally retarded things. Like some sort of hive intelligence. Frankly, the idea is ignorant.

You can see that blacks, woman or most groups have issues, the systemic issues, that can be looked at and improved upon. Astronomy as an example is still heavily a men's club as are many STEM fields and places like Fire Departments etc. You can look at that and say there is no reason for it and woman should be encouraged to be more if they choose to without artificial limitations placed on them because they don't have a pendulum between their legs.

Doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy a fake breast so I can go feed my 4 year old in public, just to put it on youtube and point out that people are grossed out by boobies.

There is a lot of middle ground but many today on the Internet choose to only focus on the extreme stupid.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:32 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
There are a certain number of hours needed in electives, and as long as they were classes that counted, I never cared. You don't help your child by being a helicopter parent.

You can't mold children to be miniature versions of you either, as scary as it can be to hear some of the whack opinions they can have when they're in high school and college. We all did, though, and we survived. Everybody grows up eventually.

Guide, and support her, and just try to accept the fact that she's her own person. Today's craziness may not even be part of the scene by the time she reaches college-age.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:34 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,938,262 times
Meh. Long as you're not abusing her, it's your kid. If you're asking this question, either you're baiting, or you're having a crisis of conscience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies