Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times

Advertisements

I doubt these kids are going to join the Boy Scouts (Trumpler Youth) anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 03:51 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
It's not racist to state that black kids are black. Likewise someone who commits a crime is a criminal. Your inability to acknowledge "black criminals" is your problem. By your own description, and I'm assuming you're a liberal, the biased media are the real racists with all the anti-police "WHITE police officer shoots unarmed black teen" headlines. At any rate you've completely missed the point of the thread and decided to pull the race card when the issue hovers around the media's inability to report the news in an even and objective fashion. They have a history of downplaying/ignoring events when the criminals are black or muslim.

Same thing with gay community. A trans man/lady committed a crime a few months back, robbing a store? and it was in the local news. The headline read something like "Trans man robs store". Within a few hours it was changed to "Man dressed as lady robs store."

I'm not the one with the problem. You made this entire incident about race. BART is the one who didn't want to turn over the video. No one had a problem with seeing the video. What is an issue is that "race" somehow makes this a big deal. Again, what is your reason for bringing race into this, besides the BART not turning over the video? What is is about this being Blacks makes it so big for you?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
I doubt these kids are going to join the Boy Scouts (Trumpler Youth) anytime soon.
Since when were said kids interested in joining? And what is with the "Trumpler Youth" comment?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 PM

404 posts, read 193,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Since when were said kids interested in joining? And what is with the "Trumpler Youth" comment?
Well, how about encouraging them to join the boy scouts?. It would be better for them than hijacking metro train cars and robbing the passengers blind. Though for some of these youth, the boy scouts and all of that, is just not street cred enough and a bit too harmless it must be said.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
Well, how about encouraging them to join the boy scouts?. It would be better for them than hijacking metro train cars and robbing the passengers blind. Though for some of these youth, the boy scouts and all of that, is just not street cred enough and a bit too harmless it must be said.
How? I don't live where they live. I can only take care of the persons around me. How about the persons living in their neighborhoods encourage them to do that.

And it still doesn't answer my question: What is with the "Trumpler Youth" comment?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:22 PM

Sounds like the BART has alot of problems.
Man screaming death threats terrorizes BART train - San Francisco Chronicle

Old 07-26-2017, 12:34 PM

Here is more: Editorial: BART should tell riders about crime on trains

I live in the Atlanta area. For anyone who wants to bring race into this, there is something you should know. MARTA rail is safer than BART, even with some recent problems.
MARTA: Crime is down because of cameras, 10,000 rider suspensions

Atlanta proper is 52% Black. That is higher than any of the Bay Area's cities. The Bay Area county with the largest Black population is Solano County, 14.6%. BART doesn't go to Solano County according to some maps I've read. Blacks are leaving the Bay Area while Blacks are moving to the Atlanta area. Somehow, MARTA is safer than BART, with it's markedly higher Black ridership than BART. Like BART, MARTA rail goes through liberal/Democrat areas.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 PM

78,391 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
That would make sense. You have to give the videos to the media in order for the media to hash it out. BART withheld the videos, therefore, that is on BART, not the media. Why is no one taking this out on the BART? I know that here in the Atlanta area, if such crap were to happen on MARTA stations, videos are going to the local news. Something else. I have never heard of any young people storming the trains or causing mob scenes in Atlanta. People have been known to fight or get into personal altercations, but not mob violence. From the reports I've seen, MARTA is safer than BART. And bringing up race as a factor is not going to work because there are far more Blacks in the Atlanta area than in the Bay Area.
There was another thread on this a week or two ago and I found some good news articles that pointed out the violence levels on various urban transit systems. (You can probably find if you run a quick search). I recall that BART had higher levels of crime. (around double)

I believe that BART is frankly sacrificing rider safety for not wanting to *offend* anyone.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:47 PM

78,391 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Here is more: Editorial: BART should tell riders about crime on trains

I live in the Atlanta area. For anyone who wants to bring race into this, there is something you should know. MARTA rail is safer than BART, even with some recent problems.
MARTA: Crime is down because of cameras, 10,000 rider suspensions

Atlanta proper is 52% Black. That is higher than any of the Bay Area's cities. The Bay Area county with the largest Black population is Solano County, 14.6%. BART doesn't go to Solano County according to some maps I've read. Blacks are leaving the Bay Area while Blacks are moving to the Atlanta area. Somehow, MARTA is safer than BART, with it's markedly higher Black ridership than BART. Like BART, MARTA rail goes through liberal/Democrat areas.
Great post.

The idea that you don't crack down on crime and release video because some KKK idiot is going to jump on it as a "black thing" is ridiculous. You cannot run your transit system on the basis of what a few knuckle draggers might say.

In fact, I find BART's stance offensive and possibly grounds for legal action as they're admitting to a bias in presenting crime video based on offenders race. Sorry, the government shouldn't have the right to withhold that sort of information on that basis. Imagine them covering up the identity of some white guy that raped a couple young black girls...and giving the excuse that they don't want to upset people.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
There was another thread on this a week or two ago and I found some good news articles that pointed out the violence levels on various urban transit systems. (You can probably find if you run a quick search). I recall that BART had higher levels of crime. (around double)

I believe that BART is frankly sacrificing rider safety for not wanting to *offend* anyone.
How is keeping a train system safe "offending" anyone? MARTA was able to do that without offending anyone. Cameras. Police sometimes ride the trains. And the gates are basically jump-proof. The gates are like doors.

Number of times I've been jumped or victimized on a MARTA train in my frequent use of it? Never. However, I can recall being assaulted and robbed in suburban areas where public transportation was either spotty or non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies