Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:56 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
On your bold, I honestly don't believe that "true moderates and conservatives" would repeal Obamacare.

The people you call "RINOs" are actually "true moderates and conservatives." They won't do it. Those who many today like to claim are true "conservatives" are actually extreme conservatives of the Tea Party ilk. The Tea Party was/is not "moderate" and they are extremely right and much more libertarian-esque than conservative.

If you change your wording to state that "Tea Party conservatives in Congress would, if they could, repeal Obamacare in a heartbeat" you would be correct.

However, wanted to make that correction - Tea Party/uber conservatives and hardcore libertarian leaning conservatives are not "moderates."
Do you mean the Tea Party advocates who benefit from Medicare and/ or Medicaid who made it clear " hands- off my Medicare/ Medicaid"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 10:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
They know that repealing it is political suicide and rather than thinking of a way to replace it, they've spent the past several years just griping about it... during the election, they didn't think Trump would win. They thought Hillary would win and that she would not want Obamacare repealed...she'd have a plan to modify Obamacare and they could blame any failures on her and the Democrats.

Then? Trump won.

And, here they are.
Putting aside the baggage of all things Hillary, her approach towards healthcare would have had more bipartisan support if for no other reason than it would take the obligation of replacing off the backs of Republicans. She was also not as ignorant as Trump as it relates to healthcare, to proclaim it easy or to commit to doing so first thing.

But alas, the self induced baggage, mismanaged campaign and lack of energy were not conducive to a win in the Electorial College.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Think you meant they knew Obama would VETO it.

They were voted in favor of repealing it as a political maneuver because they knew Obama would veto it. No need to get into " then what".
Thanks. Yes, I misspoke.
Quote:
Why not consider holding the Admin more responsible? It does not appear the Admin has done anything beyond paying lip service to whatever the House and then the Senate pitch and then badmouthing it once more information is known.

I do not see any leadership from inside the Admin. Saying your pen is ready to sign whatever Congress passes is not leadership.

Trump could have campaigned on a stand alone repeal and returning it back to the states to figure out and fund, or not. But that's not what he did. His populous approach was repeal and REPLACE with something wonderful that would take care of everybody and the government is going to pay for it. He said it was going to be so easy.
Correct. Congress would drop this issue in a minute if Trump would just let it go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Well, the other possibility is they really are the bumbling, incompetent hacks they appear to be after failing 60+ times to repeal the ACA. Neither scenario shines a very flattering light on them.
That's why I say that they got caught up in populism. They never knew what the hell they wanted in reality. Republicans are ALWAYS backing themselves into a corner. They can win elections, but they can't govern on the national level because they talk too damn much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Careful citing "record profits" as that can often just be the result of merger and consolidation...one of the IMO hidden agendas of Obamacare to push out smaller players with expense ratio criteria.

While I agree they're not failing in total, they're taking losses from Obamacare due to lack of enrollment in young\healthy people. We've known this since inception given the slow walk of penalties and then they started running PSA's about how it's the cool thing to do lol.

I figured this mess would be Hillaries albatross since she'd be in tough spot trying to fix the problems while not blaming Obama.
Hillary would've just shored it up and kept tons of pressure on the Republicans to go along if they wanted any cooperation from her on tax reform.

This issue would've been fixed months ago.
Quote:
Romney said " Without Romneycare I don't think we would have Obamacare".

He has couched his remarks with how Romneycare was never intended to become a national healthcare system.

Had Romney not taken a leadership role on developing healthcare at the state level at the time, he would not have been elected.

Over in Ohio, the Republican Governor, Kasich was in favor of amending Obamacare, not repealing it.

More than 50 countries have managed to implement Universal Healthcare. No two countries do it the same way. Most countries rely on a mixed bag of private and public payer, not a true Single Payer model. Some require employers to contribute. And some do not.

What they all have in common is the Individual Mandate, subsidy of premiums and a relatively greater focus on costs. They all comprehend that healthcare is living legislation that is tweaked annually and periodically reformed. They don't seek to throw out the bathwater with the baby.
Romney's claims of the individual mandate being only a state level program was EXACTLY why I thought he was such an effin weasel. It was a blatant lie, and he knew it.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Romney's claims of the individual mandate being only a state level program was EXACTLY why I thought he was such an effin weasel. It was a blatant lie, and he knew it.
During the primary debates romney said his plan was different and he knew how to "make" a health care plan. Obama should have asked him if he wanted to do it correctly. Then one of the architects of romneycare and obamacare, I think Gruber, came out and said they're pretty much the same. So next time it came up romney said it was about states rights. lol

Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
During the primary debates romney said his plan was different and he knew how to "make" a health care plan. Obama should have asked him if he wanted to do it correctly. Then one of the architects of romneycare and obamacare, I think Gruber, came out and said they're pretty much the same. So next time it came up romney said it was about states rights. lol
And it was such a blatant lie that it made him look like a damn fool. Everyone BUT Romney saw how stupid he looked after saying that.

Old 07-27-2017, 06:14 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Putting aside the baggage of all things Hillary, her approach towards healthcare would have had more bipartisan support if for no other reason than it would take the obligation of replacing off the backs of Republicans. She was also not as ignorant as Trump as it relates to healthcare, to proclaim it easy or to commit to doing so first thing.

But alas, the self induced baggage, mismanaged campaign and lack of energy were not conducive to a win in the Electorial College.
This is where Trump stepped in a big pile of steaming excrement. Had Trump come out and said "we will repeal the mandates from Obamacare as that mess is unsustainable and then I hope the public will bear with us as we take on the very arduous and complex task of crafting a healthcare plan that will benefit as many Americans as possible without bankrupting the nation" I think we'd be in a very different place than we are now.

Even if he came out right now and admitted his mistake and apologized for letting it get this far in the weeds and then went on to state the above I think people would be receptive.

HA! Fat chance of any of that happening...

Old 07-27-2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
This is where Trump stepped in a big pile of steaming excrement. Had Trump come out and said "we will repeal the mandates from Obamacare as that mess is unsustainable and then I hope the public will bear with us as we take on the very arduous and complex task of crafting a healthcare plan that will benefit as many Americans as possible without bankrupting the nation" I think we'd be in a very different place than we are now.

Even if he came out right now and admitted his mistake and apologized for letting it get this far in the weeds and then went on to state the above I think people would be receptive.

HA! Fat chance of any of that happening...
He's not humble enough to do that. That's gonna be his undoing.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:34 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Maybe it's constituents that don't really want to repeal Obamacare? We can blame congress for a lot of things, but maybe we are to blame. I think some in the GOP are concerned about losing their seats if they repeal and replace.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Maybe it's constituents that don't really want to repeal Obamacare? We can blame congress for a lot of things, but maybe we are to blame. I think some in the GOP are concerned about losing their seats if they repeal and replace.
LOL...of course. Guess what? The sun is gonna come up tomorrow. That's how obvious your statement is.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...of course. Guess what? The sun is gonna come up tomorrow. That's how obvious your statement is.
Well apparently it's not obvious to all these people blaming the GOP for not doing something that they don't really want them to do in the first place . Around 95% of the GOP is voting to repeal it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies