Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM

4,750 posts, read 3,565,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
The ACA will implode and crumble in the end, it's just gone to hurt more taxpaying Americans on the way now. No skin off my back.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Democrat plan to reform the ACA. They can come up with a bipartisan plan now, using McCain and Collins. When will that be presented? Or is the Democrat plan to just let it implode?
How does it feel to get a taste of your own medicine? Nothing chases obstructionism like a good crow filet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 01:55 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,585,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker281 View Post

If Trump promoted a plan that was actually better than Obamacare, he could easily get a majority of republicans AND democrats to make it law! Absolutely no excuses. His hands are not tied, he just doesn't have that sort of greatness in him.

And it would be so easy to do this. The other parties would jump at the chance to boost their ratings with the people and Trump would receive genuine praise and acclaim------something he seeks so desperately. But he is not equipped to operate in a straight and honest matter. If he gets something and other people were not deceived and swindled, it doesn't count with him.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:04 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,429,104 times
Quote:
The Democrats are bought and paid for by special interests. You are confused.

I am so tired of this kind of attitude. This partisan nonsense. Did I even say anything about the Democrats? No. They're horrible, too, for slightly different reasons. I was attacking Republicans specifically because they're the worst on the topic of healthcare. Don't try to seriously argue that the Republicans are not bought and paid for by the massive, parasitic health insurance industry. They've been feeding Americans lies & propaganda about healthcare for years & years.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:14 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
The ACA will implode and crumble in the end, it's just gone to hurt more taxpaying Americans on the way now. No skin off my back.

I'm eagerly awaiting the Democrat plan to reform the ACA. They can come up with a bipartisan plan now, using McCain and Collins. When will that be presented? Or is the Democrat plan to just let it implode?
As I understand it, there are three main gaps in ACA: 1) exchange participation by insurance carriers (in some ~30 counties, there is a risk of no carriers & there are others with just one carrier, 2) States that declined Medicaid expansion, and 3) premium increases.

In re: 3), this appears to be more of a red herring than anything.

In re: 2), the people who live in States that didn't expand should convince their State government to expand & take advantage of the federal dollars.

1) is the only issue that requires a fix by the federal government. The Administration can start by actually administering the law with an aim towards stability. Congress should also let States create a public insurance option if there is one or zero carriers participating in an exchange. That should cover it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Get busy then, because at this point the biggest morons around are Trump and the Republicans and this is not going unnoticed.

So six months into this session and except for pissing people off, Republicans have accomplished absolutely zip.

Complaining that the party in the minority is holding them back is just stupid.

Based on the bipartisan vote to restrict Trump's ability to roll back the Russian sanctions, I'd say that (1) bipartisan cooperation is definitely doable and (2) even Republicans have their doubts about Trump.
Well, we just had a bipartison 'no' vote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Really,What exactly was "miraculous" about it? What did we as a nation gain by allowing the debacle known as Obamacare to survive another day?
More people losing insurance due to either costs or lack of insurance companies willing to deal with the mess?

McCain knows he's done as an elected official and so doesn't give a damn what his constituents think or how screwed his fellow citizens of AZ are with respect to Obamacare, he's just trying to get further into the history books as some kind of gutsy hero...
You realize that the least bad Republican plan would have uninsured 16 million & increased premiums 20+% in its first year, right? McCain, Murkowski, and Collins realized that leadership was trying to sell them a bill of goods. If the Senate can't pass a bill it can live with, then there is no point of going to conference with the House when the House has a bill the Senate can't live with. Those 3 Republicans (and the 48 Democrats/independents) may have saved the Republicans' electoral chances in 2018. These bills were unpopular, and would have damaged both health care and the economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
The "Obamacare" label irks them more than anything else. Healthcare lobbyists invented that name as a way of ridiculing and demeaning healthcare legislation. That backfired. The ACA is largely a GOP creation already with roots back in Massachusetts and Romney. They can't do any better because, given the constraints of the insurance and healthcare industry and lobby, this is about as good as it gets. It needs some improvements and they need to rationally work on that. This is a healthcare issue, not a tax break issue for the rich. Until there is real reform in the insurance and healthcare industries and they kick the lobbyists to the curb we will have a crazy patchwork system of ACA, Medicaid, Medicare, private insurance and employer coverage. We will end up with a single-payer national system at some point but not until they rein in the lobbyists and their bosses.
The GOP has no clothes. They love having an Obama legacy to cry about to their constituents, but they hate trying to deliver better solutions.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:18 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,727,877 times
http://i.imgur.com/ChuRtH9.jpg

Nothing shady there. No, just an innocent picture of Schumer and McCain exchanging pleasantries in the hallway. Cause the Senate is just like your local office job.

I don't care if Obamacare implodes. I hope it does. There's good reason to allow it to implode, but don't for a second think McCain voted against repeal because he cared about anyone.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-28-2017 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-28-2017, 02:26 PM

42,840 posts, read 26,253,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The insurance lobby is a by product of progressivism. Less government, less need for the lobbyists. We need more competition, especially at the pharmaceutical level.
no it's not it's a by-product of this idiotic idea that without any regulation or oversight corporations will act ethically. And neither the insurance lobby nor pharma as any interest at all in creating or allowing competition. How or why you would blame that on "progressivism" is remarkable.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,951,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post

I am so tired of this kind of attitude. This partisan nonsense. Did I even say anything about the Democrats? No. They're horrible, too, for slightly different reasons. I was attacking Republicans specifically because they're the worst on the topic of healthcare. Don't try to seriously argue that the Republicans are not bought and paid for by the massive, parasitic health insurance industry. They've been feeding Americans lies & propaganda about healthcare for years & years.
The ACA was written and passed by the Democrats for the benefit of the health insurance industry. Every single Republican in Congress voted against it.

So, I was wrong to say "you are confused." I should have said "you are very, very confused."

Old 07-28-2017, 06:40 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,857,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
no it's not it's a by-product of this idiotic idea that without any regulation or oversight corporations will act ethically.
The idiotic idea is thinking that government, a known unethical entity, can regulate better than the free market. If corporations act unlawfully are held accountable, they can be sued. Government can't. You have a problem with that?

Quote:
And neither the insurance lobby nor pharma as any interest at all in creating or allowing competition.
Because big government, which is the disease known as progressivism, stops competition. The progressives are not limited to the left either.

Quote:
How or why you would blame that on "progressivism" is remarkable.
One more time. In hopes you get it. The free market doesn't go for crony capitalism. We get crony capitalism because big government, in bed with lobbyists, makes rules to stifle competition and reward their buddies.
What part of that simple explanation don't you get?

Old 07-28-2017, 07:13 PM

2,513 posts, read 2,788,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yeah, it's so sad that for now at least 16 million Americans may not lose their healthcare coverage.
You mean insurance coverage. What we have right now isn't health care coverage. Spending 6000 in premiums and 2000 in deductible is not coverage for many Americans.

Old 07-28-2017, 07:26 PM

4,996 posts, read 2,443,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The idiotic idea is thinking that government, a known unethical entity, can regulate better than the free market. If corporations act unlawfully are held accountable, they can be sued. Government can't. You have a problem with that?

Because big government, which is the disease known as progressivism, stops competition. The progressives are not limited to the left either.

One more time. In hopes you get it. The free market doesn't go for crony capitalism. We get crony capitalism because big government, in bed with lobbyists, makes rules to stifle competition and reward their buddies.
What part of that simple explanation don't you get?
I'll step up..if you don't mind:

In our country's past, there are myriads of incidents of crony capitalism--I'm defining this as the collusive market manipulations of robber baron types. In the Pre-Depression era, we had as free a market as I can imagine..and the corruption was rank! Govt. regulation was not an issue..naked manipulation of the so-called free market was. The little guy got screwed in those days, as a matter of course.

IMO Ann Rynd was FOS.

Now if you want to get behind banning lobbyists--I'm with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies