Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 08:37 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Reality is at odds with your belief.

Putin's economy has taken a hit. Which means he has less money to spend on waging war and more problems with Russian citizens.

May cut into Exxon-Mobil's profits, but otherwise it's a good deal for the U.S. and our soldiers.
We are no better prepared to go to into any war with Russia today than we would have been last month. China will undercut us and Russia will no notice any long term negative affects.

And all for what? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Sanctions are diplomacy with consequences.

I much prefer using sanctions to soldiers.
Maybe we should try doing what we preach and minding our own business?

Old 07-28-2017, 08:51 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,208,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Maybe we should try doing what we preach and minding our own business?
Tried that and Putin sent his hackers. I also prefer sanctions over soldiers. By doing sanctions we are minding our own business.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:55 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Tried that and Putin sent his hackers. I also prefer sanctions over soldiers. By doing sanctions we are minding our own business.
Sanctions are indeed minding our own business. As I recall, sanctions are what brought Iran to the negotiating table over nuclear weapons.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
We didn't try that. Putin did nothing we do not do and my word, you sure can twist words to mean whatever you want them to mean.

Old 07-28-2017, 08:57 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
Quote:
Hmmm?

No sane POTUS would veto this.

Wonder what Trump will do.

Oddly enough, the new communications director,Anthony Scaramucci, suggested that Mr. Trump will veto the bill and 'write tougher language himself'.

It is instructive that the bill passed the House and Senate by such a wide margin: only three Republicans voting against it in the House, two in the Senate.

Now, let us ignore the idiotic suggestion that the President, being the head of the Executive Branch, will 'write tougher language' himself. Mr. Scaramucci did not think his statement through. If President Trump were to veto the bill, the House and Senate have more than enough votes to override the veto. They would not stand for Mr. Trump writing his own bill (I can't imagine him writing anything, save for tweets).

Anyway, it certainly appears that Congress is convinced that the Russians tried to interfere with the recent Presidential Election. Of course, said members of Congress have access to classified information that we do not have.

I think this overwhelming vote indicates that said members of Congress know that the 'Russian investigation' may not turn out well for our President. Hence, they are starting to take a stand separating themselves from Mr. Trump, should the investigation become embarrassing for the President.

It also puts some of our more enthusiastic Trump supporters into a bit of a quandary, those that have maintained, up to now, that there is absolutely no evidence of Russian interference with the election, and no evidence of the Trump campaign colluding with the Russians.

If, out of 535 members of Congress, only five voted against these sanctions (said bill does not allow Trump to unilaterally soften said sanctions), then it may be presumed that there is fire underlying all that smoke. Said members of Congress are not, of course, part of the 'media', so they can't be castigated for that reason.

Many Republicans still stand with Trump, although by voting for this bill, as I said, they are providing some cover for themselves. It is clearly moving towards 'every man for himself', and to heck with the President (whom consistently has shown that he has no loyalty to any member of Congress, or even to his cabinet members and such).

Old 07-28-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Sanctions are indeed minding our own business. As I recall, sanctions are what brought Iran to the negotiating table over nuclear weapons.
Iran will soon have nuclear weapons. They have not stopped. There isn't a damned thing we can do about it.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:00 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Yeah, Putin, and Russia control Trump. Like his ego would allow that.
When it comes to resisting manipulation, a big ego is not at all an advantage.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:03 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,767,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Russia ORDERS the US to do something??

The question will be how will we respond? I don't think Trump likes taking orders from anyone.
The bigger question will be how will the media spin his response to make whatever decision he makes look bad?
Uh, Trump has been taking orders from Putin for awhile. But Putin is mad he's not getting what he was promised - lifting sanctions.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:11 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Putin (& his predecessors) have been sending his hackers for decades. Good lord.

The best offense (or response) is a cracker jack defense (as in take care of OUR security - another way of saying minding our business - & then we won't have to worry about their hackers).

The above poster is correct. This is just (very weak) political posturing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies