Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 11:27 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The best way to solve this is to stop playing it at every single game. Only play it at the Super Bowl. And while we are at it, change the National Anthem to America the Beautiful. It is a much more fitting tribute to our country than a war anthem.
I don't look at the National Anthem as a war tribute. And I'm sick of everything being changed because a very small minority is offended. Maybe they should just put on their big boy pants and accept they can't get their way all the time.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Be sure to kneel, if you hate your country.
Especially if you hate your country because you're told to.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM

8,312 posts, read 3,927,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGR_NYR View Post
Whole NFL team to skip national anthem altogether | New York Post

Coach Tomlin says he won't play politics so they will skip the whole thing. Guess what? You just did play politics.

The team should be given a delay of game penalty and fined for not being on the field on game time ready to play as stated in the NFL rulebook. A forfeit would even be better.
You Trumpette snowflakes sure do have a thin skin about this. When someone pushes back against your precious fascist President it seems to hit a nerve.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:29 AM

11,785 posts, read 5,795,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Why? And before you automatically assume I'm an insane person for even asking this question, think about it for a moment. Why do people instinctively believe we should respect the country and the flag? Most people don't respect the president. We certainly don't respect other politicians. Many (or most) people don't respect the police. Many (or most) of us don't respect our bosses or coworkers and think we're underpaid/overworked. Hell, many of us don't even respect our spouses. We can't stand paying taxes, hate welfare recipients, illegal immigrants, TSA, I could go on forever, but you get the idea. In short, there are so many things we don't respect about this country, why on earth are we obligated to respect it or the flag?
Because that flags stands for all those who served and who lost their lives for your right to not respect others. I'm surprised the question was even asked.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:30 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Nothing like the love the right has for Putin.
Well, he single handedly won Trump the election, right?

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
I just canceled my NFL Ticket with Directv. I paid over $350 every year for the past 20 years and I'm done with the NFL.

8,272 posts, read 10,991,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
ohh please....this has nothing to do about freedom of speech. Many people were fired from t.v. and their jobs for offending the viewers and customers.

go back to school to learn what does the Freedom of speech covers.
Thank God we have the ACLU to protect Freedom of Speech. Liked or disliked - this country was founded on Freedom of Speech.

Someone else needs to go back to school.

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Totally agree! It's like waking up in the middle of the night after falling asleep watching my favorite program and now I realize I am listening to paid programing/endless infomercials. It's then time to rollover and hit the off button! There is absolutely no reason to pay to listen to dissent; unless that is what you believe in. So, like the election, the NFL is now alienating half or, in this case maybe even more, of it's own audience.

If they want to protest; let them do what you suggest: "They can go on any street corner, or any public square, and protest."
What dissent are you listening to? The players kneel quietly on the sidelines, the anthem plays, and the game goes on as scheduled.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:32 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raza EL View Post
Back in the day, NFL teams used to always stay in the locker room until after the anthem. The Steelers are choosing to do this today as a team. However, perhaps that is the solution. Go back to when teams stayed in the locker room until after the anthem. That is the perfect solution. No player will have the opportunity to kneel in front of thousands of people or millions of TV viewers. Players can stand or sit in the locker room without the publicity. Players won't be able to use the platform for political positions and the NFL won't mandate patriotism. However , the fans still will have the opportunity to experience the anthem along with service members. The only thing football players will have to do is play football. Everybody win.
Why not just get rid of the national anthem at all these sporting events from grade school to the pros? The only other place we see this kind of "patriotism" is with tyrannical dictatorships. Go see the game and leave the flag waving and hymn singing for the 4th of July.

Old 09-24-2017, 11:33 AM

6,822 posts, read 14,034,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
You Trumpette snowflakes sure do have a thin skin about this. When someone pushes back against your precious fascist President it seems to hit a nerve.

Yep in their world the president can criticize anyone he wants. Only when gets it back do they cry and whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies