Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 12:08 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Yes, we have such a tyrannical government that is no doubt holding you down (lol). Perhaps you should spend some time in some of the 3rd world countries(I have)!! It may change your perspective!

The majority of sports fans don't watch football to see a bunch of spoiled millionaires whine about inequality! If it continues I and many others will just quit watching (and this is coming from someone who has been very involved in football at multiple levels)!
If true, you have traveled to where such freedoms are non-existent or maybe less, and you conclude as you do here, you must have been on vacation and simply wanted to enjoy yourself rather than take in what you obviously take for granted here in America!

You going to also dictate or restrict what an actor might want to say during the Oscars, because you similarly just want to enjoy yourself with movies, entertainment, and not politics? That's not how it works in a free society.

"Spoiled" are those who can't accept that others may not be as comfy about America as others, or that maybe there are other Americans who have different things to say about what is going on around us.

Heaven forbid we allow such a thing...

Yes! Let's crack down on what we don't want to hear, Trump style!

Oh HELL no!

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
The best suggestion I’ve heard thus far is, if you dont want to stand for the anthem, then stay in the locker room and choose to not participate.
I agreed with a comment similar to this yesterday that also held that doing such would de-politicize the national anthem debate. However, and particularly given how neutral the Steelers stayed in this debate last season, I now see staying in the locker room as disrespectful/not willing to come out and make a simple gesture to honor America. In many ways, I now think that an entire team staying in the locker room is more disrespectful than if a few players kneeled during the anthem.

8,495 posts, read 4,552,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The protests were growing well before Trump said anything. Granted, his words only continued to stir things up so I see them as a good thing.

Wrong. More athletes were protesting during the anthem a year ago than had been recently. It had actually been dying down quite a bit. Trump reignited it.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,927 times
Trump is appealing to his base. There is a great misconception about love of country. There are people who love this country, but they are not part of the ritualistic displays declaring their feelings for all to see. It's the same with public prayer. People don't want it forced on them at public events, but the believers are certainly allowed to pray to themselves anywhere they wish, just don't expect people to join in. I voted for Trump because I did not want Hillary to win. I cringed at some of his antics, and still do, but a blind follower, I am not ! If he does something I like, I give the man credit. If he's doing something outrageous, I won't try to defend his debacles.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:10 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,806,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Good choice. These players are constantly interviewed by crowds of reporters-plenty opportunities to express free speech.
People would complain whenever they spoke their minds, not just during the anthem. Ask the reporter who just for the business for her private tweets or her private time.

It's a red herring.

Some don't like the message no matter how its delivered..

Old 09-24-2017, 12:11 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
When did they stood up for black on black violence and killings in Chicago! Never because they don't care.
This is the second time you've posted this in the thread. I hope you know that repeating a lie twice doesn't make it true.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMS02760 View Post
Wrong. More athletes were protesting during the anthem a year ago than had been recently. It had actually been dying down quite a bit. Trump reignited it.
Enough of them were still doing it. But, let's get real: the damage had already been done when these spoiled, multi-millionaires refused a basic gesture to honor America by standing for our anthem. Note, all this occurred during the age of Obama, who was more consequential for souring race relations than anyone I can think of since the die-hard Democrat segregationists from decades ago (think his comments on Henry Louis Gates, Trayvon Martin, policing in general, etc.). What a disgrace.

Old 09-24-2017, 12:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,085,312 times
I grew up in Pittsburgh. Cut me and I'd bleed black & gold. No more. I'm sick of these ghetto trash millionaires screaming how oppressed they are.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2017 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Flaming

Old 09-24-2017, 12:14 PM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I'm going wear my American flag bearer zee shorts , wrap myself in the American flag and stand proudly when they play the anthem , the only reason people are taking the knee is for their hatage of America and the president that refuse to give away the store

I standby proudly for our military and police law enforcement
WRONG!

I have many close friends and family who are law enforcement officers, firemen too. I have great respect for vets who have sacrificed what they have in the name of our freedoms -- and opportunities -- to enjoy our entertainments here at home even though we've got some serious political issues to contend with.

Burying yourself in the American flag is doing you nor America any favors. You are simply demonstrating that you don't know a damn thing about what these freedoms mean or why they must be respected and allowed, EVEN WHEN NOT WHAT WE WANT TO HEAR!

Wave the flag for whatever reason you wish of course. Obviously that's what we do all over America every day simply because we are America, but please don't wave it because you don't like that people take advantage of our freedoms here in America!

To suggest these protests are anti-military or anti-law enforcement is so ignorant of what these issues are all about!

Let us not be blindly supportive of Trump or the military or police no matter what the offense, or we are surely in deep doo doo!

Old 09-24-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
I grew up in Pittsburgh. Cut me and I'd bleed black & gold. No more. I'm sick of these ghetto millionaires screaming how oppressed they are.
You can attack the equally disgraceful behavior by these spoiled, multi-millionaire brats without resorting to the tactics that you did.

Last edited by CaseyB; 09-24-2017 at 01:01 PM.. Reason: Response to deletion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies