Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlongTheI-5 View Post
Soccer is advancing because of limited interruptions. The postage stamp that shows racing during commercials doesn't cut it for me. People are cutting the cord for a reason.
Soccer and hockey seem to be more fun to watch, games are moving at all times with limited interruption's.

Racing has a problem which may require the change to allow the industry to use stock cars again instead of the use of decals to try and show branding.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:46 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I imagine that it is a variety of reasons that people are tuning out professional football. Myself, I began to leave it in 1980 during the player's strike. Save for watching a few moments of each Super Bowl (to keep streak going since its inception), I have not watched a full game since Tom Landry left the field.

What you have, now, is some 26 teams (I don't know the exact number) owned by billionaires, with the rosters mainly composed of millionaires*, with new stadiums being built, too often, with taxpayer money, with said new stadiums making sure to have lots of boxes for other millionaires to purchase.

I have no idea what an average person has to pay to attend a game. I imagine it is at least $100 per seat, plus parking.

Add to that the natural concern many have over the number of players suffering brain damage. It has been sad to read about.

Anyway, no wonder that ratings are down.

*I recall when players were not paid enough for them to live on for the year. Hence, most players (1960s) had off-season jobs. Read "Instant Replay" by Jerry Kramer (a wonderful book about one season with the Green Bay Packers, I think 1968, when the infamous 'ice bowl' was played in Green Bay against the Cowboys; Jerry sold archery equipment off-season; I see that Jerry is still alive at 81).

Mr. Kramer wrote about how important it was to win the NFL championship, for the extra $15,000 extra, which was considered a lot of money. When the Super Bowl was instituted, the players loved it for the extra money (I think another $10,000). Indeed, back then players were thrilled to be picked for the Pro-Bowl. Why? $$$$. Heck, they even got extra money to play the college all-stars (do they even still have that game?).

Old 09-12-2017, 06:47 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
The NBA is really having a good run with superstars like LeBron, Steph Currie, and Kevin Durant.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 AM

3,212 posts, read 1,652,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Soccer and hockey seem to be more fun to watch, games are moving at all times with limited interruption's.

Racing has a problem which may require the change to allow the industry to use stock cars again instead of the use of decals to try and show branding.
NASCAR races are too long. Sometimes 4 hours w/o rain delay. Cut the miles down to kilometers and call it a day.

OTOH basketball games are nice and short.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:53 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,094,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I imagine that it is a variety of reasons that people are tuning out professional football. Myself, I began to leave it in 1980 during the player's strike. Save for watching a few moments of each Super Bowl (to keep streak going since its inception), I have not watched a full game since Tom Landry left the field.

What you have, now, is some 26 teams (I don't know the exact number) owned by billionaires, with the rosters mainly composed of millionaires*, with new stadiums being built, too often, with taxpayer money, with said new stadiums making sure to have lots of boxes for other millionaires to purchase.

I have no idea what an average person has to pay to attend a game. I imagine it is at least $100 per seat, plus parking.

Add to that the natural concern many have over the number of players suffering brain damage. It has been sad to read about.

Anyway, no wonder that ratings are down.

*I recall when players were not paid enough for them to live on for the year. Hence, most players (1960s) had off-season jobs. Read "Instant Replay" by Jerry Kramer (a wonderful book about one season with the Green Bay Packers, I think 1968, when the infamous 'ice bowl' was played in Green Bay against the Cowboys; Jerry sold archery equipment off-season; I see that Jerry is still alive at 81).

Mr. Kramer wrote about how important it was to win the NFL championship, for the extra $15,000 extra, which was considered a lot of money. When the Super Bowl was instituted, the players loved it for the extra money (I think another $10,000). Indeed, back then players were thrilled to be picked for the Pro-Bowl. Why? $$$$. Heck, they even got extra money to play the college all-stars (do they even still have that game?).
I still enjoy watching pro football but one thing that has put a dent in my devotion to the game is the complete lack of loyalty on the part of the owners for the cities their teams play in. They'll jump ship in a heartbeat for a better stadium deal at taxpayers expense.

Old 09-12-2017, 06:54 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Worst part of going to games. Sitting in the stands while play is stopped for commercial's.

Worst part of watching games at home. Having to put up with all the commercial's.

Maybe the NFL should take a look at how the Premier League is shown on the weekends and how the racing industry uses ads while the race is still being shown.
Now that would be awesome!

Old 09-12-2017, 07:45 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Where would they be without this country? .
They might have an education, a decent job and a life instead of destroying their health and welfare for the entertainment of those who do.....

They might (as a people) have a higher net worth.

They may have a lot of things if not for this country. However, one should not expect regular watchers of Foosball to be well read in such history.

Now "Get off my Lawn".

Old 09-12-2017, 07:53 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
So, when they were shooting themselves and their wives, whoring and beating their wives and GFs, you were fine with it - but you decided when they decided on a peaceful protest...that was over the line? Remember all the stories of the Dallas Cowboys back in the 80's - a full time hard partying scene. Here's a book for ya:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F76U0G...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Truly fantastic. Amazing. It sorta shows why we Americans have the wrong values. Hint - it's what's you DO in life that matters more than what you protest or don't.
Off the field behavior doesn't represent the team nor the sport. Much of what you listed are criminal offenses and thus a police and court matter. Many of those cases resulted in arrest and or prison sentence or other forms of punishment. This is an act by groups of players in uniform on game day. They want to protest police killing black men then go out and protest,... just don't do it on the job by disrespecting the entire nation.

Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Quote:

It's a joke to call it stock car racing. Hasn't been stock cars for more than a decade.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
I still enjoy watching pro football but one thing that has put a dent in my devotion to the game is the complete lack of loyalty on the part of the owners for the cities their teams play in. They'll jump ship in a heartbeat for a better stadium deal at taxpayers expense.
Very true. I recall when Al Davis was bashed for moving his team (Raiders) that first time. Now, it is becoming all too common. I have no idea where the Rams are now based, or the Oilers, etc.

Of course, we had such movement in other sports. I still am rather tickled about the "Utah Jazz" (recall, said team had originally been based in New Orleans). At the least, Utah should change their name to the Utah Bees (for the bee is a symbol of the Mormons). One does not associate jazz with Salt Lake City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies