Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM

3,152 posts, read 2,730,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
He really, really should shut his mouth, either way. Take the high road and either don't comment, or say something respectful regarding people's rights to their free speech.

He should assert his right to free speech.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:43 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Attendance is getting worse as seen in these pics - I came home last night expecting to see the games on - neither of my guys will watch them anymore due to the BS. Many of you fail to see that Trump won due to the silent majority which is a large portion of the population. I hope these players have been investing wisely - as they are going to need it.

The NFL is getting hammered after another game in a half-empty stadium - Business Insider

As far as your polls:
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattve...iotic-n2385646
THEY
DON'T
CARE

What do these Kneelers care about Ratings? Nothing at all - they only care about Dis-Respecting the US Flag and the National Anthem AND everything they stand for. They only care about going to war with the President and those who voted for him. This started in 2016 and that's when the ratings slid, the Thursday night game played to a. half empty stadium and that was BEFORE President Trump said a word about their Total Dis-Respect for the National Anthem.

Viewershipwise, last night’s game is currently taking a 21% hit from the fast affiliates of the September 17 game, which was down 14% from the Season opener of September 10.

None of which will induce an end zone dance for the net or the league in a season already seeing double-digit declines from the 2016-2017 season – itself down from the previous year.

[b]They think the ratings are down NOW ..... . Just wait until next week. Viewers don't like this Un-Patriotic stuff. The Dallas Cowboys is likely to be like last year (only team with consistant high viewer ratings) unless people include them with the Kneelers in error - the Cowboys have no complaints and stand on the side lines as Teams have done as long as I've watched football. They appear to understand that they are there to Play Football and not to make weird Political Statements in Dis-Respect to our Country.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
For those who view what the players are doing now in response to Trump as "protesting basically our whole country and what it stands for," there is no help.

For those who can understand such expression or protest against more specific wrong-doing in America rather than all else America stands for, some progress is perhaps made possible, better awareness and sensitivity to what problems we still contend with anyway, for some people anyway.

You make a big mistake and are actually part of the problem when you take a message like these acts of dissent are supposed to send and twist them into something else entirely. It's like trying to take the action of a white person on behalf of a black person and suggesting this must mean they are against all fellow white folks.

Wrong, wrong, wrong on too many levels!
Do they kneel at one specific part of the national anthem that they are protesting against or the whole song? Again, I believe its in poor choice to protest the national anthem. Its too broad and can easily be seen as disrespecting our country and EVERYTHING it stands for.
You agree with the move. Good for you. You kneel and I will stand proudly. Police brutality and discrimination will not be solved by disrespecting the country which gives you freedom.
While I am against both, I will continue to do my part by raising my children to respect all people equally. I will continue to volunteer and donate during the holidays for less fortunate children so they can have presents to open and feel worthy... I will continue to do what I feel may help our future generations erase discrimination.
I will always stand during the national anthem.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
the brother NAILED IT. he is spot on with his comments. we need to get the politics OUT of sports and get the players heads back into the game. if you want to get political, fine i dont care. but do it OFF the field. leave the politics in the parking lot, get out on the field of play, and do what you are being paid to do, play what ever sport you are being paid to play.

and the guy is also right in that you players are making a ton of money playing a game. your careers are short as a player to being with, dont screw it up even more by being stupid. all those millions can go away if the fans quit watching, and buying your stuff.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Trump could comment that women will let you treat them like bowling balls when you are famous, and Trump certainly has that right. Right! But I think we're talking a bit more about substance here, right? Not whether Trump has the right to be a nitwit. We all know he certainly has that right and is seemingly intent on taking advantage of that right.

Wait, Trump DID actually also make that comment about women too. Right? Guess that right makes it entirely okay or beyond judgment -- criticism/dissent/ protest -- when the leader of the free world decides to say such things...
Yes, Trump did verbalized he could theoretically act just like a rock star or a movie star do actually act toward women.

We see POTUS do this too often. Obama did it many times. He should have kept his mouth shut on several things such as Trayvon, but he couldn't help himself, just like Trump.

I wish they'd keep their yaps shut, but those type As tend to insert themselves way too often.

Do you believe this is unique to Trump?

Additionally, I'd rather have a POTUS say a locker room what-if than have a terrorist bomber as a mentor.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
And you can find numerous videos of vets who are siding with the players and against what Trump said.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And you can find numerous videos of vets who are siding with the players and against what Trump said.
True. These protests are further dividing this country.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:48 PM

18,725 posts, read 7,602,949 times
Default Kneeling, sitting or not showing up during National Anthem is a VIOLATION of NFL rules!

Whatever people wrote the NFL rule book, knew that professional football is an entertainment industry. Strange that it has drifted farther and farther from that for the last year or so, and none of the rule enforcers seem to mind. Even as viewership declines, ticket sales plummet, and thousands write in to complain about whining crybabies dissing the National Anthem.

Where is the NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, who fined Tom Brady hugely and suspended him for four games because some footballs didn't have enough air? And fought a million-dollar court fight to try to make it stick?

Who is this current "Commissioner" using the same name, and what did he do to the real Roger Goodell?

------------------------------------------------

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger...etting-players

(snip)

The NFL rule book specifically requires both teams appear on the field for the playing of the anthem, standing, remaining quiet, and holding their helmets in their left hands. Failure to do so can result in fines, suspensions, and the loss of draft picks.
The rules are found on pages A62-63 of the league’s game operations manual:

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:49 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,090,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
They claim this Dis-Respect of the US Flag & National Anthem is an "opposition to fight those who deny our basic freedoms" and for justice and equality.

What exactly is it that these Multi-Millionaire Sports 'heroes' are denied? What "freedoms" don't they have that they are demanding? None of it makes any sense.

https://twitter.com/seahawksPR/statu...38744408166401

So they are unable to advocate for the rights of the disaffected and downtrodden? Should they also not advocate for breast cancer awareness because they are male? Should they not advocate for the awareness of something like Autism because they are not autistic? Just trying to figure out where you draw the line about advocacy.

The NFL as an organization, and the players as individual employees, CONSTANTLY use that very public stage to advocate for causes for the national and local communities. This is no different, EXCEPT that the particular cause is something you find distasteful: the ethical treatment of black people by the police.

Pretty cut and dried.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:49 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,505,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
the brother NAILED IT. he is spot on with his comments. we need to get the politics OUT of sports and get the players heads back into the game. if you want to get political, fine i dont care. but do it OFF the field. leave the politics in the parking lot, get out on the field of play, and do what you are being paid to do, play what ever sport you are being paid to play.

and the guy is also right in that you players are making a ton of money playing a game. your careers are short as a player to being with, dont screw it up even more by being stupid. all those millions can go away if the fans quit watching, and buying your stuff.
They are protesting off the field, on the sideline. They are not doing any protesting "during the game".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies