Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:13 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
For those who haven't seen this particular "rule" - I'll post it again.
In Lawyer speak - "MUST" is very different from "SHOULD" or "MAY".

I do like the part about how Players should be aware of how they will be Judged with respect to the National Flag and Country. Looks Godell never read any of it and it's a sure bet that perhaps only ONE owner has read it. They got it exactly right -- they ARE being Judged and it's not looking good for them.
What the NFL rule book says about the national anthem

Quote:
The meme claims that page 62-63 of the "NFL rule book" dictates that during the national anthem, players must stand, face the flag, hold their helmet in their left hand and refrain from talking. The meme claims that failure to follow this policy can result in fines, suspensions or forfeiture of draft picks.
So, is it true?
Technically, yes. But it's not in the "NFL rule book."
While this language does not appear in the 2017 Official Playing Rules of the National Football League, which is available in its entirety online, it is a part of the game operations manual, which is distributed to all 32 teams, according to NFL spokesperson Brian McCarthy.

McCarthy said that the policy has been in place for several years, pre-dating protests that began during the 2016 season.
"It’s policy, it’s not a rule. I think where people are getting confused is, rules, that’s like holding or defensive pass interference, that’s a rule. This is policy," McCarthy said.
McCarthy confirmed that the league will not assess penalties to players who either did not take the field for the anthem or who protested.
The players are well informed on this and there's a reason the owners haven't lifted a finger to fire anyone over this. It's not an actual rule.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Wait...wait...you're meaning to tell me that a site called "Deadline" didn't have accurate data/facts? Tell me it isn't so!

Old 09-25-2017, 02:14 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,091,578 times
Quote:

I do like the part about how Players should be aware of how they will be Judged with respect to the National Flag and Country. Looks Godell never read any of it and it's a sure bet that perhaps only ONE owner has read it. They got it exactly right -- they ARE being Judged and it's not looking good for them.

That's been proven to not actually exist. I'd have to go back through the thread, but it's been debunked many times. There is no such rule in the rule books.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:16 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once again i get why kaepernick started his protest, but i have also said that message has long since gotten lost in the uproar over his manner pf protest

and it isnt about "a piece of cloth and a song" its about that that piece of cloth and song represent to the american people. many americans feel when you disrespect the flag or the national anthem, you disrespect america itself.

as for no rule on the NFL rule book, try again after reading this article;

https://news.grabien.com/story-roger...etting-players

so you want to try again? or do you wish to continue to fail? our choice.
the problem with the rule is it is vague. There are only two mists and the other the are should. This will be an issue for their next CBA if the owners really want to fine and suspend players for it. Remember the NFLPA defended rapists, wife beaters, etc.

Last edited by mkpunk; 09-25-2017 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-25-2017, 02:17 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

The players are well informed on this and there's a reason the owners haven't lifted a finger to fire anyone over this. It's not an actual rule.
That's also interesting. So it isn't in the rule book.

Do we know the recourse of owners per the CBA if a "violation" of the "game operations manual" occurs?

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Trump, a servant of the State, wants to see owners fire employees for doing X.

While not officially using State-force, you're right, it is best to leave employer-employee relationships alone.

Was that Trump the State servant saying that or Trump the individual?
The answer to that is very clear. That was Trump the individual throwing out a question to the audience. And ten of millions of us agree with him strongly and applaud him for having the guts to say it.

Trump has never presumed or implied any authority to impose his will here.

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I know you wish that didn't happen or isn't relevant, but blowing out the birthday candle and making your wish is just a fairytale.
I asked you to lay out your perfect 100% effective method of protest and you complained about BLM. If don't want to say anything real, then leave me alone. All you could do was the time honored tradition of deflecting to something else.

bye.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:20 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:

Who is this Randolph Family Group that you are getting your info from?

They are spreading lies.

Are NFL Players Required to Stand on the Field During the National Anthem?

If I were you, I'd refuse to retweet their lies.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:21 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post

Do you remember why Brady was suspended?

Apparently, the ball rules, for which he was penalized, fall under the NFL Game Operations manual.

'Deflate-Gate': What to Know About NFL Ball Rules - ABC News

Kind of odd that Goodell spend millions to enforce that part of the NFL Game Operations manual.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
The answer to that is very clear. That was Trump the individual throwing out a question to the audience. ...
This is BS.

Trump is not an individual, a private citizen these days.

He is POTUS, God help us, and he is a POTUS 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Sadly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies