Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should football players and university professors be easy to fire for their views?
Football players and university professors can be fired for their views. 142 43.03%
Neither can be fired for their views 188 56.97%
Voters: 330. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times

Advertisements

From NBC Sports -

"Last night’s Cowboys-Cardinals game was easily the most-watched Monday night game of the season so far, and through four games Monday Night Football ratings are up over last season.

Cowboys-Cardinals got a 9.3 overnight rating for ESPN, easily the highest-rated Monday night game of the year. That came despite some talk that the controversy surrounding players kneeling during the national anthem would depress NFL ratings."

Monday Night Football ratings up for the season, way up for Week 3 – ProFootballTalk

Sunday NFL ratings were down, but compared to last year's Monday night game which competed with a presidential debate, ratings were up. As NBC points out -

"A better measurement is that the four Monday Night Football games so far this season have averaged a 7.8 overnight rating, compared to a 6.5 overnight rating for the first four Monday Night Football games last season. And even if you throw out the game that went up against the debate last year, Monday Night Football is up year to date over the 2016 average." (same link as above)

It makes me wonder if all the ratings changes are really just a move away from Sunday football. When I have the time, I don't even watch full games anymore...I subscribe to NFL Red Zone and skip the ads. even Slate wonders if this is changing viewing habits.

RedZone is the cause of and solution to all of the NFL's problems.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:28 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRackum View Post
I see the NFL and other sports taking a hit. They don't know who their fans are. I see a lot of people walking away from them.
No Real Fans are walking away from the sport over this, wishful thinking on the part of the trumplings. But he is Uniting People, there are more and more people abandoning the Donald, soon only his dumbest sheeple will still be making excuses for their orange one.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:29 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I don't want politics forcibly injected into my entertainment, and relaxation time. It's like when Bruce Springsteen goes on his anti American, Marxist rants at his concerts. I don't want to see, nor hear that, so don't go. Yes, it is an insult.
You are easily offended. I turn on the TV, and the kick off it as 1PM, and I enjoy the game. Or I go to the game and watch it. I do not go there to spy on others based on what they do during the anthem. I stand, others can do as they please.

Quote:
You're offended by statues of long dead people.
No, I'm not. I could care less about them.

Quote:
I am offended by those that want to use my money, and time to promote their anti American political agenda
I take their word for it when they say they do it in name of unity. It is not anti-American. You have been told by Trump the protest is against the flag, but the people who did it explained very clearly it was about unity. The Cowboys made it even more clear by kneeling for unity and standing for the anthem. I get a feeling you were offended by them too, since they made the same gesture.

Quote:
Who is more easily offended?
You, since you are the only one offended. I am not offended at all.

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They are patriots foremost. I saw many of the people on my feed throw out their players jerseys if they took a knee.

If these assclowns want to protest, they can do it on their own time, not during the national anthem. It's a slap in the face to veterans and active duty military everywhere.
You have that backwards. The slap in the face is to attempt to deny Americans the right to protest their government. That's what vets and active duty military are there to protect--the basic rights and concepts this country was founded on.

Faux patriots just can't seem to grasp that concept. It's not about respecting a song or a piece of cloth, it's about respecting and protecting the ideals and principles behind that anthem and piece of cloth.

I know, I know, that's much too nuanced for the rah-rah crowd to comprehend.

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I don't get where you are coming from. You spend an awful lot of time on a political forum but now will not watch an NFL game because one minute of it is political.
It's almost like some folks are begging people to not stop watching....please watch football!!!

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
They are patriots foremost. I saw many of the people on my feed throw out their players jerseys if they took a knee.

If these assclowns want to protest, they can do it on their own time, not during the national anthem. It's a slap in the face to veterans and active duty military everywhere.
I am 51 years old, and just dont understand this idea that standing makes you appreciate/love the country more than if you sit.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
I have a bigger problem with these morons who sing the anthem protesting. If you’re paid to sing, then stop the kneeling or bible verses on your hands or whatever and sing. If you want to protest don’t take the job. Idiots.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbs...on-sunday/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/people.co...erses-nfl/amp/

Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,515 times
It doesn't. Last I checked true patriots want to fix what's wrong with their country, not bow to evil.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:32 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,198,297 times
Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech...
BUT
No company nor institution is bound by that restriction.
They can surely fire / dismiss any employee whose behavior does harm to the company / institution.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:33 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamsack View Post
Me too. I find the whole thing comical ... sitting or kneeling to me doesnt show disrespect. How about standing....yeah .... but your on your phone texting.... you are standing so that is what matters.... so as long as you stand you are good. Forget about the other minor details. I think someone shows respect by being quiet and in their own way reflect on (whatever) during the anthem. Whether it is done standing, sitting, who cares.
Standing is the politically correct thing to do during the anthem, and personally I stand with my hat off. Ironically Trump who pretended to be non-PC turned out to be the PC cop-in-chief, attacking everyone who is not doing the politically correct thing. You can't make this crap up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies